By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using "autistic" as a derogatory term; please don't

People should say they want to. I don't agree with limiting speech on forums. Banning people from using insults is not likely to change their opinion.

Around the Network
HomokHarcos said:

People should say they want to. I don't agree with limiting speech on forums. Banning people from using insults is not likely to change their opinion.

Don't agree with limiting speech? What about giving out other people's personal information?

VGPolyglot said:
Eagle367 said:

What are you autistic?(jk)

Umm, if you were more familiar with him you'd know that he actually is, so that joke kind of falls flat.

We'll don't I look stupid. A lot of my argument doesn't apply to him now anyways. I never really use these terms unless someone says not to use them for some reason or the other. I think word censorship shouldn't occur like that and I stand by it no matter what. I demonstrated how much of an idiot and retard I am by not realising what the above human being is. Control through the pretence of kindness should be stopped, like the stupid c-16 bill in canada. I am not willing to give an inch only to have a mile taken. This is my belief. Some times kindness requires firmness. Looking at the bigger picture, I'm not willing to accept the censorship of words. Fag, autistic whatever. I don't use them but I don't want them to be removed from being said only to realize next words like retard dumb idiot fat etc are targeted as well

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

VGPolyglot said:
HomokHarcos said:

Don't agree with limiting speech? What about giving out other people's personal information?

As for the first amendment, nothing wrong with it.

That would more fall along the lines of like Defamation, or libel. You know if you write a story about someone that is false and hurts their character or business, you can be sued. The same would hold true for giving out personal information on someone.

You can do it, but doesn't mean there are not consequences. The reason there is a difference to giving out personal information versus calling someone a faggot, is that the personal information can ruin someone live by financial reasons (id theft, ect) or personal security reasons (rape, murder, ect)

One is in the persons control, the other not. I give out someone's info and who knows who might use that info and what they may do with it. I say a word to someone and it's up to them how that word affects them. They may not care, or they may contemplate suicide. Either way though, it's in their hands, or minds.

I'm not trying to downplay bullying, but there is a huge difference between bullying someone and giving out someone personal info. I like to think of it like Catcalling a lady or straight up raping her. Both are sexual harassment, but the degree is vastly different.

How do we call selective blindness regarding the 3ds? A handicap or autism?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

People get way too worked up over stuff like this. Go on and say whatever you want no one is stopping you but that doesn't give you an excuse to be a prick and it's wise to actually think about what you say instead of throwing out words like gay and autistic like you're an edgy 6th grader

VGPolyglot said:
super_etecoon said:
When I first came to VGC is was a great group of people. Really classy kids that wanted to talk about videogams and sales. There were certainly the occasional trolls riling things up just to get a rise out of people. Something happened along the way. I think many of them left, maybe for Facebook, maybe for real life, maybe for other forums, but they definitely left. I think some of them lurk. But what has replaced them is sad. People who wrap themselves in "freedom of speech" and the freedom to be jerks for their own personal comfort. Thanks, curl, for continuously being an example of what VGC once was. I support you and this thread.

You know what, for how much people criticize ResetEra here, I think the alternative, what we have here, seems to be worse.

I think both ends are equally annoying in their own way. The other day a guy in another forum shared an ERA thread where the folks complained about the appearance of an Indian taxi driver (which seems to be a stereotype) in Cyperpunk 2077's trailer. I didn't say anything, but... ugh, worrying too much about every single stereotype that appears in media... Not a fan of that, and while I understand their concerns, I'd rather just conform with the fact that I don't think certain people have to inherently be associated with a certain pre-conception. 

ANYWAY, that was very off-topic. If you're asking for decency, you can get it from me. While the vast majority of people don't really have malicious intentions while using adjectives like retarded or autistic, I don't use them at all because I think it's tasteless. We already have proper adjectives to point out people who simply can't make use of sense for a moment or the whole time, like idiot or stupid, and even those I try to avoide, because, well, I lose more than what I gain by using them. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

If we live in a democratic country we should be entitled to voice our opinions. Back in the good old days we used to have freedom and democracy. It now looks like we are living in a dystopian totalitarian world as predicted in  George Orwell's 1984.

What about people's freedom not to be insulted or mocked?

Doesn't exist. Harassment is illegal in most places though. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

VGPolyglot said:
HomokHarcos said:

Sharing personal information puts individuals at potential risk.

Describing someone who is acting autistic as "dripping with autism" does not.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

Sharing personal information puts individuals at potential risk.

Describing someone who is acting autistic as "dripping with autism" does not.

So, you're already acknowledging that there should be limits though. And what is "acting autistic"? Can't you use something that is less ambiguous anyway?