By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using "autistic" as a derogatory term; please don't

irstupid said:
My thoughts.
First amendment. Free speech. Say what you want. I won't send a ban hammer at anyone using the phrase.

Though on a personal level, I find the term repugnant and anyone who uses it to be a piece of shit. Just cause you can say something doesn't mean you should.

Well, we're not necessarily talking about the law here, I don't think it should be illegal to say it either, however in terms of this site I believe that a certain amount of effort should be taken to make sure that this is a welcoming place for people with special needs.



Around the Network

Sure, calling someone a retard is a bit insulting, but calling a stupid person autistic is way worse.



VGPolyglot said:
irstupid said:
My thoughts.
First amendment. Free speech. Say what you want. I won't send a ban hammer at anyone using the phrase.

Though on a personal level, I find the term repugnant and anyone who uses it to be a piece of shit. Just cause you can say something doesn't mean you should.

Well, we're not necessarily talking about the law here, I don't think it should be illegal to say it either, however in terms of this site I believe that a certain amount of effort should be taken to make sure that this is a welcoming place for people with special needs.

And I would hope those steps are nothing more than people quoting said person and saying "WTF dude" "you're horrible" "grow up" "ect."

I'd rather be on a place that has people not say or do something because they are good people than because we banned all people that are dicks. It's like the free market. If a cake maker don't want toback cakes for gay people. They go out of business by losing customers, not because the government forced them to shut down.

THat's my two cents anyway.



Asking people to be considerate and inoffensive to serious real world diagnoses and problems = "anti-free speech." How do people who claim to have thick skin and tell others to "man up", etc. actually end up being the most triggered and offended when they're asked to use their brains & be at least a little smarter than a middle-school bully?



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Most grown up social humans stop using words like that, at least in my experience.
Its mostly the kids /teens/young adults that still need to grow some wisdom thats using them, offcourse some never learn and it can differ from culture to culture.



Around the Network
John2290 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, I see you added this in, this sounds like something a Nazi would say.

No actually the Nazi would be the one impossing their rules of speech on others however its what someone who has faced reality outside of their safe bubble would say when other people try yo impose their own language do's and do not's on others, especially when it's such a mild insult. 

Ah, so it's more like Nazis to tell people to be considerate of autistic people than it is to want a war that wipes out the "undesirable" people...



When I first came to VGC is was a great group of people. Really classy kids that wanted to talk about videogams and sales. There were certainly the occasional trolls riling things up just to get a rise out of people. Something happened along the way. I think many of them left, maybe for Facebook, maybe for real life, maybe for other forums, but they definitely left. I think some of them lurk. But what has replaced them is sad. People who wrap themselves in "freedom of speech" and the freedom to be jerks for their own personal comfort. Thanks, curl, for continuously being an example of what VGC once was. I support you and this thread.



super_etecoon said:
When I first came to VGC is was a great group of people. Really classy kids that wanted to talk about videogams and sales. There were certainly the occasional trolls riling things up just to get a rise out of people. Something happened along the way. I think many of them left, maybe for Facebook, maybe for real life, maybe for other forums, but they definitely left. I think some of them lurk. But what has replaced them is sad. People who wrap themselves in "freedom of speech" and the freedom to be jerks for their own personal comfort. Thanks, curl, for continuously being an example of what VGC once was. I support you and this thread.

You know what, for how much people criticize ResetEra here, I think the alternative, what we have here, seems to be worse.



VGPolyglot said:
John2290 said:

No actually the Nazi would be the one impossing their rules of speech on others however its what someone who has faced reality outside of their safe bubble would say when other people try yo impose their own language do's and do not's on others, especially when it's such a mild insult. 

Ah, so it's more like Nazis to tell people to be considerate of autistic people than it is to want a war that wipes out the "undesirable" people...

Without the Autistic people we would just have more mindless sheep,i think they're a great asset for humanity because they think differently and are able give us better views like lets say Einstein or Newton did and yes both of those showed big signs of autism but back then it wasnt as accepted to be different as today.

Im not dissagreeing btw ,just wanted to type this. :p



Immersiveunreality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Ah, so it's more like Nazis to tell people to be considerate of autistic people than it is to want a war that wipes out the "undesirable" people...

Without the Autistic people we would just have more mindless sheep,i think they're a great asset for humanity because they think differently and are able give us better views like lets say Einstein or Newton did and yes both of those showed big signs of autism but back then it wasnt as accepted to be different as today.

Im not dissagreeing btw ,just wanted to type this. :p

I wasn't calling autistic people undesirable, which is why I used quotation marks