By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Won May NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBOx)

I'm quite excited to see the numbers they put up with PS4 when it actually has a pricecut.

Around the Network
LethalP said:
Mar1217 said:

Except Xbone had so much discounts already that I don't think it'll do much with the numbers. People will expect to get it even cheaper now so they'll wait.

This is a limited time sale in response to PS4 days of play. The Xbox One doesn't regularly sell for $199, it's going to move units. The PS4 is $50 more expensive even in a sale so it might loose to X1. If anything the Switch should have done the same, it might even be last this month. If not then I don't know what the fuck MS will do for X1 at that point, if even being $100 cheaper than Switch won't push it above in the US of all places.

I mean, it might not regularly sell for $199 but it's regularly on sale for around that price. Hell I remember it being $189 even for a time or two.

PS4 is always more expensive than the X1 (once it discarded Kinect 2). That's what makes its complete dominance this gen so amazing.

Carl said:
I'm quite excited to see the numbers they put up with PS4 when it actually has a pricecut.

Me too. I know it doesn't make sense business wise to cut the price of a healthy selling console but at this point I'd really like to see them go below the $300 permanently. Has any console in its 5th year ever been cut only 25% of its launch price?

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

So just to help me understand them... the use of stock shortages to justify last year not outselling PS4 was bogus as saying this years sales are good because they are about same as last year?

Again, last year sales were good in any case and despite stock problems, fact that Switch could sell better with better stocks dont change point that Switch had good numbers in any case. If you still don't get I cant really help you.

On other note, sales for second May on market:

PS4 - 153k (Trade-in Deal)

XB1- 140k (Halo: MCC Bundle)

Switch - 167k (Hyrule Warriors, DKTF legs)

So you could say 2018 Switch sales were good (without comparing to 2017), and do 2017 without excusing stocks, that is the point.

You can't have the argument two fold, "2017 we didn't sell great because we had stock issues, but 2018 is good because we sold equal to 2017". It is, 2017 and 2018 had good sales, period.

LethalP said:
Mar1217 said:

Except Xbone had so much discounts already that I don't think it'll do much with the numbers. People will expect to get it even cheaper now so they'll wait.

This is a limited time sale in response to PS4 days of play. The Xbox One doesn't regularly sell for $199, it's going to move units. The PS4 is $50 more expensive even in a sale so it might loose to X1. If anything the Switch should have done the same, it might even be last this month. If not then I don't know what the fuck MS will do for X1 at that point, if even being $100 cheaper than Switch won't push it above in the US of all places.

I don't think 199 X1 will beat PS4 for sure. I actually think that even at this price point it is more probable for it to stay third than win, even more if it is in a month that the others receive major exclusives.

flashfire926 said:
XBO:
2014 - 77k
2015 - 140k
2016 - 107k
2017 - 109k
2018 - 145k
PS4:
2014 - 197k
2015 - 153k
2016 - 207k
2017 - 187k
2018 - 223k
NSW:
2017 - 165k
2018 - 167k

Stolen from resetera, sales for the month of May for every year. This is the best month of May for all three consoles, as you can see.

So GoW made everyone get their best May =p

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

So just to help me understand them... the use of stock shortages to justify last year not outselling PS4 was bogus as saying this years sales are good because they are about same as last year?

What are you even arguing about? Its not an either/or situation.

Last year had supply issues but sales were still good and this years sales are good.

I'm arguing exactly the person doing an either/or.

If you say 2018 sales are good because it is similar to 2017 then you shouldn't be excusing 2017 on stock. Because saying 2017 would be bigger with more stock, then 2018 isn't good since it only done equal 2017 because 2017 had stock issues.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

So around 40k per week in average.
Wii U was selling less than that ww.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
So around 40k per week in average.
Wii U was selling less than that ww.

Right, but the Switch is replacing both the Wii U and the 3DS. So comparing it against just the Wii U is rather foolish.

LethalP said:
Mar1217 said:

Consumers could buy an XB1 for as low as $229 last month. The PS4 did not have any substantial deals in May, making its cheapest SKU $70 more expensive than the cheapest XB1 SKU. However, it still managed to outsell its competitor by a good margin.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Again, last year sales were good in any case and despite stock problems, fact that Switch could sell better with better stocks dont change point that Switch had good numbers in any case. If you still don't get I cant really help you.

On other note, sales for second May on market:

PS4 - 153k (Trade-in Deal)

XB1- 140k (Halo: MCC Bundle)

Switch - 167k (Hyrule Warriors, DKTF legs)

Again, it is hard to say Switch sales are good when it has 2 games in the top 10 and only manages to beat PS4's worst May by a slim margin, and not coming close to the others.

167k isn't terrible for Switch, but it is probably a tad disappointing. Last year was clearly supply restrained this year it's easy to walk into any store and see fully stocked Switch everywhere, sales should be up not flat-lining. 

Letting Labo be the "major" release for the first half of the year was a mistake, Nintendo is going to have to start financing more projects to outsourced dev houses IMO (like they do with Platinum) so they don't get stuck with these drought periods. Before they launch a system they should really map out the full first two year lineup for that system and ensure they have ample software in development, more than what is even needed in case something gets delayed. 

PS4 > Switch > XBox1. This is what I expect to see every month until November. PS4 may take November too if they throw in a good price cut. PS4 is going to beat Switch this year. Though I think Smash Bros + Pokemon Let's Go is going to make Nintendo take December and defintely Q1 of 2019.