By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Won May NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBOx)

Errorist76 said:

I don’t get this logic. 2017 has been terrible for X1. After the Scorpio announcement X1 sales tanked hard...now things are back to normal. That’s all.

Manlytears said:

Correct me if wrong, but isn't  X1S the less expensive console since beginning 2018? I mean, sure the X1X got some credit here, but i realy think the low price of the X1S is the main reason for xbox number of sales, prety sure they managed to make bundles $50 cheaper than ps4.

These are the temporary price cuts the XB1 had in May (credit to Welfare):

"Xbox One has not seen a good May yet thanks to the lack of (good) deals and continued slowed momentum off April. May 2017 saw the 1TB drop down to $299 at GameStop two weeks into the month and Microsoft dropped the price nationwide 2 weeks later. May 2018 saw a one week $50 price drop on the One S, 500GB $229 / 1TB $249, and a $50 gift card included with every One X purchase the week after. The following week, certain retailers bundled State of Decay 2 with every One X."

In comparison, the PS4 historically does not receive any substantial price cuts or deals in May.

Around the Network

I suspect 2019 will be much better for Switch. Seems like Nintendo blew their load on year one to front load their sales and gain momentum. They then use that momentum paired with WiiU ports to ride through 2018 at a steady, albiet slower, pace for the year leading to Smash and Pokemon for the holiday.

Then in 2019 more Switch exclusive content and heavy hitters drop, with an announcement of BotW2 at E3, push the Switch up to PS4 level sales again. Seems like a sound strategy, even if the now is not preferable. The big question is what happens AFTER 2019 moving forward, as the holiday 2020 release of the PS5 is bound to be announced and confirmed that year as well. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Happy to see the PS4 doing so well.

The drought is coming to an end little switch. It's now time to rise again.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Quite opposite, quite good numbers all things considered, Switch is still selling good and on pair with last year despite fact that Switch still didnt had big game this year, while PS4 had few heavy hitters and XB1 regularly have deals and price cuts including May.

Wasn't last year a "supply constrained" year?

Yes it was, but last year Switch had very good numbers despite had supply problems.

Around the Network
xMetroid said:

Game wise you mean?

JRPGfan said:
xMetroid said:

Game wise you mean?

Yes what else could i mean lol. There has been no  big game for months and there is really anticipated games coming in the next weeks.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Wasn't last year a "supply constrained" year?

Yes it was, but last year Switch had very good numbers despite had supply problems.

But you can't flex the argument like that...

So last year it didn't sell more because it didn't have inventory making this year selling good because it's on par with last year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

So last year it didn't sell more because it didn't have inventory making this year selling good because it's on par with last year.

You clearly missing point, last year sales were very good in any case and despite stock problems, point that Switch had stock problem last year dont mean that sales were not good, and Switch now still have again sales on pair of last year (very good numbers). I mean there is reason why Switch had best 1st year ever in US despite stock problems.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

You clearly missing point, last year sales were very good in any case and despite stock problems, point that Switch had stock problem last year dont mean that sales were not good, and Switch now still have again sales on pair of last year (very good numbers). I mean there is reason why Switch had best 1st year ever in US despite stock problems.

So just to help me understand them... the use of stock shortages to justify last year not outselling PS4 was bogus as saying this years sales are good because they are about same as last year?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."