By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Won May NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBOx)

PS4 just had its best May in its 5th year. Pretty crazy.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Pretty poor from Switch all things considered, 2 new games both charting high but the Switch still selling pretty low.

PS4 and XB1 doing well by being up quite a bit YoY.

Quite opposite, quite good numbers all things considered, Switch is still selling good and on pair with last year despite fact that Switch still didnt had big game this year, while PS4 had few heavy hitters and XB1 regularly have deals and price cuts including May.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 20 June 2018

Miyamotoo said:
RaptorChrist said:
Can confirm Switch stock is not much of an issue at least where I'm located (near Chicago). I think the Switch will be a success for Nintendo (I suppose it already has), but I don't think it has the longevity to carry it nearly as long as the PS4, unless they release some pretty serious hardware upgrades down the road. Sure, anything can happen at this point, but I find it surprising how many people there are that think it will be a 100+ million seller console. I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't place my bets that high just yet.

Switch is had great 1st year, Nintendo expecting to ship 20m consoles this FY, Nintendo also said they want to Switch have longer life span than usual 6 years life span, its also expected that Switch will have multiple revisions. Also took 3DS for example, Switch is selling better than 3DS for same time period, with huge difrence that 3DS needed huge price cut only 6 month after launch while Switch is still selling with launch price.

Switch isn't only a handheld console though...

Last edited by tak13 - on 20 June 2018

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

Pretty poor from Switch all things considered, 2 new games both charting high but the Switch still selling pretty low.

Quite opposite, quite good numbers all things considered, Switch is still selling good and pair with last year despite fact that Switch still didnt had big game this year, while PS4 had few heavy hitters and XB1 regularly have deals.

Doesn't have big game yet has 2 games in top 10 or top 4 /thinking.

JRPGfan said:
KBG29 said:
Another great month for PS4 as expected. June is going to be interesting. Will the uproar over Fortnite be substantial, or just a bunch of noise? Did E3 move the needle in any way? I never doubted they would win may with God of War and Detroit, but the next few months are hard to judge. Then it should be back in Sony's court come September.

At this point I actually think Microsoft could grab a few of the summer months.

Going by prediction tool (in the US) it looks like PS4 is handily leading the pack, so far (June).
So looks to be a repeat of May, PS4 > NSW > XB1.

Uproar about fortnite is a big nothing burger, as is crossplatform something the vast majority simply dont care about, its the vocal minority and non playstation users usually that make all the noise (impact will be non exsistant).

E3? Every fanbase walked away kinda happy.... even Nintendo (who I thought had the worst e3 of the big 3) ones.

Exactly. If anything causes PS4 to lose, it'll be a XBO that's only $199 for half the month, not this overblown outrage. It'll be a very poor showing, actually, if XBO fails to win June. 

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Miyamotoo said:

Quite opposite, quite good numbers all things considered, Switch is still selling good and pair with last year despite fact that Switch still didnt had big game this year, while PS4 had few heavy hitters and XB1 regularly have deals.

Doesn't have big game yet has 2 games in top 10 or top 4 /thinking.

When I say big games I think something like Monster Hunter World, God Of War (its obvious that GoW is moving plenty of PS4 consoles in April and May) or in case of Nintendo Zelda BotW and MK8D in same time period of last year (March and April) or this years Pokemon and Smash Bros. games, you cant really compare DKTF and Hyrule Warriors ports with those kind of games. And like I wrote, Switch keep momentum, it still selling good and pair with last year despite fact that Switch still didnt had big game this year, with future lineup sales can be only better.

Train wreck said:
PS4 just had its best May in its 5th year. Pretty crazy.

Even crazier, despite US and Japan YoY up pretty big VGchartz still has PS4 down 500k globally from last year's YTD.

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

Quite opposite, quite good numbers all things considered, Switch is still selling good and on pair with last year despite fact that Switch still didnt had big game this year, while PS4 had few heavy hitters and XB1 regularly have deals and price cuts including May.

Wasn't last year a "supply constrained" year?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Errorist76 said:
Soundwave said:
XBox One is starting to find some traction in non-holiday months ... the XBox One X has been a large boost for them, think mid-gen hardware refreshes are basically going to become the norm now.

I don’t get this logic. 2017 has been terrible for X1. After the Scorpio announcement X1 sales tanked hard...now things are back to normal. That’s all.

XBO 2018 is selling better than in 2016, 2015, and 2014. It's selling better than normal.

Kind of amazed that X1 is doing so poorly compared to the others yet the console is having a better year than last year.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!