By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Won May NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBOx)

Solid from DK:TF

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

You clearly missing point, last year sales were very good in any case and despite stock problems, point that Switch had stock problem last year dont mean that sales were not good, and Switch now still have again sales on pair of last year (very good numbers). I mean there is reason why Switch had best 1st year ever in US despite stock problems.

So just to help me understand them... the use of stock shortages to justify last year not outselling PS4 was bogus as saying this years sales are good because they are about same as last year?

Again, last year sales were good in any case and despite stock problems, fact that Switch could sell better with better stocks dont change point that Switch had good numbers in any case. If you still don't get I cant really help you.

On other note, sales for second May on market:

PS4 - 153k (Trade-in Deal)

XB1- 140k (Halo: MCC Bundle)

Switch - 167k (Hyrule Warriors, DKTF legs)

Mar1217 said:
DKC had a solid month while the Switch's doing fine and trucking along with PS4 second year.

Now I'm more interested in June cuz of last year deal they had with the PS4 Gold, (Don't worry, I know about PS4 promotions for this month, but I don't think it'll carry as much weight as the PS4 Gold did last year)

There's more chance of Xbox One beating PS4 in June than Switch with the $199 price drop for X1.

Mar1217 said:
DKC had a solid month while the Switch's doing fine and trucking along with PS4 second year.

Now I'm more interested in June cuz of last year deal they had with the PS4 Gold, (Don't worry, I know about PS4 promotions for this month, but I don't think it'll carry as much weight as the PS4 Gold did last year)

Yep, you are right. Price cut only on the Pro this year (50$). Slim at 299$ the whole month (last year the slim was at 249$). While the XB1 is still currently at 199$...

But this year God of war and fortnite seem to sell PS4 contrary to UC4 last year that had no notable effects.

Mar1217 said:
LethalP said:

There's more chance of Xbox One beating PS4 in June than Switch with the $199 price drop for X1.

Except Xbone had so much discounts already that I don't think it'll do much with the numbers. People will expect to get it even cheaper now so they'll wait.

This is a limited time sale in response to PS4 days of play. The Xbox One doesn't regularly sell for $199, it's going to move units. The PS4 is $50 more expensive even in a sale so it might loose to X1. If anything the Switch should have done the same, it might even be last this month. If not then I don't know what the fuck MS will do for X1 at that point, if even being $100 cheaper than Switch won't push it above in the US of all places.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
Soundwave said:
XBox One is starting to find some traction in non-holiday months ... the XBox One X has been a large boost for them, think mid-gen hardware refreshes are basically going to become the norm now.

I don’t get this logic. 2017 has been terrible for X1. After the Scorpio announcement X1 sales tanked hard...now things are back to normal. That’s all.

Not really. May 2018 was the best May for Xbox One in the US.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

XBO:
2014 - 77k
2015 - 140k
2016 - 107k
2017 - 109k
2018 - 145k
PS4:
2014 - 197k
2015 - 153k
2016 - 207k
2017 - 187k
2018 - 223k
NSW:
2017 - 165k
2018 - 167k

Stolen from resetera, sales for the month of May for every year. This is the best month of May for all three consoles, as you can see.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

Pretty poor from Switch all things considered, 2 new games both charting high but the Switch still selling pretty low.

PS4 and XB1 doing well by being up quite a bit YoY.

Quite opposite, quite good numbers all things considered, Switch is still selling good and on pair with last year despite fact that Switch still didnt had big game this year, while PS4 had few heavy hitters and XB1 regularly have deals and price cuts including May.

Its down around 20% from last year, and if switch wasn't  so supply constrained last year the gap would be much bigger.

thismeintiel said:
JRPGfan said:
KBG29 said:
Another great month for PS4 as expected. June is going to be interesting. Will the uproar over Fortnite be substantial, or just a bunch of noise? Did E3 move the needle in any way? I never doubted they would win may with God of War and Detroit, but the next few months are hard to judge. Then it should be back in Sony's court come September.

At this point I actually think Microsoft could grab a few of the summer months.

Going by prediction tool (in the US) it looks like PS4 is handily leading the pack, so far (June).
So looks to be a repeat of May, PS4 > NSW > XB1.

Uproar about fortnite is a big nothing burger, as is crossplatform something the vast majority simply dont care about, its the vocal minority and non playstation users usually that make all the noise (impact will be non exsistant).

E3? Every fanbase walked away kinda happy.... even Nintendo (who I thought had the worst e3 of the big 3) ones.

Exactly. If anything causes PS4 to lose, it'll be a XBO that's only $199 for half the month, not this overblown outrage. It'll be a very poor showing, actually, if XBO fails to win June. 

Not really since PS has that new blue special edition, last year's gold edition sold like crazy, so I would assume this to do the same. Plus, the pro is $349, and PSVR is close to $199.  They should easily be able to win, and if not, it would be a huge upset.

Bet with Intrinsic:

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

You clearly missing point, last year sales were very good in any case and despite stock problems, point that Switch had stock problem last year dont mean that sales were not good, and Switch now still have again sales on pair of last year (very good numbers). I mean there is reason why Switch had best 1st year ever in US despite stock problems.

So just to help me understand them... the use of stock shortages to justify last year not outselling PS4 was bogus as saying this years sales are good because they are about same as last year?

What are you even arguing about? Its not an either/or situation.

Last year had supply issues but sales were still good and this years sales are good.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.