By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

In the end, if you're a Nintendo fan, you'd hope to see something exciting that's in store from Nintendo's E3. If you're not a Nintendo fan, then you are either curious on what they will show (and whether it will entice you to get the console for any of the games they announce that interest you) or ignore them because Nintendo is no longer a game company that has games that interests you.

It's the same for any gaming company. Why does EA have a conference? Why does Square Enix? Why does Bethesda? Why does Ubisoft? Sony? Microsoft?

Not every conference will be home runs or strike outs. And everyone will have an opinion one way or another.

While some didn't like Nintendo's E3 Direct, I thought it was fine. I don't need to know what's coming up in 2-3 years from now. It doesn't affect how much I purchase from them, especially since I have already purchased a lot this year alone for the Switch. I love Smash Bros. and while I get that the presentation for Smash was a bit too long while the E3 Direct was still going, it's my most anticipated game of this year, especially when we're talking about one of the all-time greatest crossover rosters getting even better and the gameplay and mechanics showing improvements. I'm not too bothered by the Direct "only" showing 20+ games compared to Microsoft's 50+ games for their respective conference since I know most of what Nintendo showed is within this year and early next year while I might have to wait a little longer on most of what Micosoft showed (plus most of the games are also going to PS4).

Not everyone is going to have the same opinion as mine and that's fine. Nintendo will continue their gameplan as of now, showing numerous Directs throughout the year and maintaining a presence and continuing to present their message like they did last year. We will see at least a couple more directs this year.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

You are wrong, fact is that they dont need, we seeing with Nintendo and Switch that they dont need to show long term games.

You do realise that communication strategy is actualy part of marketing!? And we know that marketing for Switch is quite good and on spot.

No I dont, Switch is popular because great concept, system seller games and great marketing (and communication strategy is part of marketing).

Actualy Switch has much more than only 300 games (wiki says 1165 games), also I didnt meant at all on Indies games, Zelda BotW is best selling 3D Zelda, Mario Odyssey is becoming best selling 3D Mario, Splatoon 2 is best selling Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 become best selling Xeno game, Kirby had best debut and its on path to be best selling Kirby game, we can expect similar for Mario Tennis Aces, Smash Bros Ultimate...Switch games are selling very good.

Point that you personally don't like Nintendo strategy and you personally want they show some long term games is totally irrelevant, fact is that Nintendo is doing very well with Switch HW and SW sales and they reely dont need change nothing.

If you remember they tried with Wii U at one point quite opposite strategy, in famous January 2013. Direct they showed and announced almost everything they had in that moment in devolpment for Wii U (even games that want come 3-5 years on market), and guess what, nothing changed, Wii U had one worst sales ever in next few months, and they actualy later with Wii U start changing that strategie with shorter term announcements and with Switch they doing that strategie even before Switch launch. Reality is that long term announcements dont effect on HW and SW sales in any meaningful way, current releases and short term announcements (game that I will able to play in few months, not in few years) actually do.

"You do realise that communication strategy is actualy part of marketing!? And we know that marketing for Switch is quite good and on spot."
I do. I mentioned that in a post above.
You are confusing a marketing strategy directed to a specific target audience with a strategy that revolves around how you are going to support your console. 
You can be amazing at one and drop the ball at the other.
That success in the marketing department is related to their choice of target audience (age, lifestyle, etc.) and not what you are saying.

Their age demographics data points at that, btw.

Another part of marketing is "reminding" customers that the company is also relevant in the future.
That's exactly why companies always focus on the médium and long term and not just the short term.
Those results will not be seen now, when everything is OK, but it will help companies tomorrow or the the day after tomorrow. 
I honestly can't understand how you refuse to even take this into consideration...

You were speaking about sales volume.
So, i stand corrected. Their sales volume might have been helped by a few games, but in those 1000+ games, it's clear that they lose weight.
And that same volume is obviously high due to the number of cheap games.

"Reality is that long term announcements dont effect on HW and SW sales in any meaningful way, current releases and short term announcements (game that I will able to play in few months, not in few years) actually do."
What?? 

No point in talking anymore about this, Miyamotoo.
If you can't understand why long term announcements are meaningful… i don't know what else to say.

Because once every blue moon, we get an E3 2014. When that happens, it is GLORIOUS! Then we wait another 3-4 years for another E3 2014.

*Edit* I honestly think next year will be an E3 2014. Prime 4, Bayo 3, Smash DLC I'm sure of another off the wall character people have probably been waiting a long time for (Waluigi?...), Yoshi game, and hopefully it will be the right time for the new Monolith Soft game (it should be). 

Go to youtube and watch E3 2014! That's how it should be.

Last edited by bigtakilla - on 24 June 2018

bigtakilla said:

Because once every blue moon, we get an E3 2014. When that happens, it is GLORIOUS! Then we wait another 3-4 years for another E3 2014.

*Edit* I honestly think next year will be an E3 2014. Prime 4, Bayo 3, Smash DLC I'm sure of another off the wall character people have probably been waiting a long time for (Waluigi?...), Yoshi game, and hopefully it will be the right time for the new Monolith Soft game (it should be)

They just released Xenoblade 2 late last year and are still developing the story DLC. I think it would be cool if they did announce it next year, but probably show more concepts than actual gameplay.

And I remember E3 2014. While I consider it a great event, it didn't do much for the Wii U so whether a presentation should be this or that doesn't really matter. I mean, E3 2008 was not stellar for Nintendo yet 2008 was their record-breaking year with the Wii. Not all great presentations correlate to great sales or vice versa.

I look forward to them because last year's was really good. So was 2014. I just wish they let us know it was gonna be mostly Smash like they did with 2016 and Breath of the Wild so I could temper my expectations. I didn't know they were gonna blow their load on the March Direct.

You know that thing when you uhhh...and then you...hmmm. But then you have to...umm, Yuh.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
bigtakilla said:

*Edit* I honestly think next year will be an E3 2014. Prime 4, Bayo 3, Smash DLC I'm sure of another off the wall character people have probably been waiting a long time for (Waluigi?...), Yoshi game, and hopefully it will be the right time for the new Monolith Soft game (it should be)

They just released Xenoblade 2 late last year and are still developing the story DLC. I think it would be cool if they did announce it next year, but probably show more concepts than actual gameplay.

And I remember E3 2014. While I consider it a great event, it didn't do much for the Wii U so whether a presentation should be this or that doesn't really matter. I mean, E3 2008 was not stellar for Nintendo yet 2008 was their record-breaking year with the Wii. Not all great presentations correlate to great sales or vice versa.

Yeah, but a lot of that stuff will be covered by smaller teams within Monolith Soft. I wouldn't be surprised if they will have been working on the new title for at least 2 years when E3 2019 comes around, and Monolith Soft isn't afraid of showing early footage (They showed XCX in Jan 2013 and it didn't release until Dec 4 2015). They also announced XC2 in Jan 2017 and the Switch didn't even come out until March 2017. I think it will be there.

bigtakilla said:
Kai_Mao said:

Yeah, but a lot of that stuff will be covered by smaller teams within Monolith Soft. I wouldn't be surprised if they will have been working on the new title for at least 2 years when E3 2019 comes around, and Monolith Soft isn't afraid of showing early footage (They showed XCX in Jan 2013 and it didn't release until Dec 4 2015). They also announced XC2 in Jan 2017 and the Switch didn't even come out until March 2017. I think it will be there.

I'd rather they remaster the old Xenoblade or Xenosaga games in the short run, and actually give the next Xenoblade a longer dev cycle.

Shaunodon said:
bigtakilla said:

I'd rather they remaster the old Xenoblade or Xenosaga games in the short run, and actually give the next Xenoblade a longer dev cycle.

I think remastering Xenoblade 1 is not out of the realm of possibility, considering the series is now getting more popular and Shulk is back in Smash. As for the Xenosaga games, they would have to work with Nintendo and Bandai Namco in getting the rights back. Who knows, maybe that is one of the projects Namco Bandai claimed they are working on for Switch.

Shaunodon said:
bigtakilla said:

Well I agree the next Xenoblade having a longer development time than XC2, but if you look at it, when did XCX release? April 29, 2015 (later in other regions in Dec 4, 2015) and XC2 released Dec 1, 2017. That's 2 and a half years. Now if they showed XCX2 at E3 2019, (Jun 12, 2019ish) we are looking at the same time frame from RELEASE of XC2 from XCX, to the ANNOUNCEMENT of XCX2 from the release of XC2. Say it came out Dec  4, 2020 that is still literally a year and a half of extra development time from XC2 to XCX2. 

IMO plenty of time for a Xeno game. Xenosaga HD collection would be a cherry on top.

Kai_Mao said:
Shaunodon said:

I think remastering Xenoblade 1 is not out of the realm of possibility, considering the series is now getting more popular and Shulk is back in Smash. As for the Xenosaga games, they would have to work with Nintendo and Bandai Namco in getting the rights back. Who knows, maybe that is one of the projects Namco Bandai claimed they are working on for Switch.

How much more milk can be drained from that cow? Leave XC (original) alone for a while. It got a Wii, and 3ds release as well as Wii U eshop. As for Shulk.... well nevermind, as telling you why it's fine he's in Smash would be a spoiler.

Last edited by bigtakilla - on 24 June 2018