By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF analysis: Fortnite on Switch

Miyamotoo said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm saying Fortnite is well optimized as a port for Switch. The biggest improvements the game needs appears to be a more stable 30 fps. You say its an OK port, but its one of the most impressive on the platform.

Rocket League and Doom did seem some improvements from patches, but lets not exaggerate their significance. I recall Rocket League improving but that game is less GPU intensive than Doom or Fortnite. I believe DF looked at some of the patch work for Doom and saw little improvement. As far Wolfenstein 2, it will likely be better optimized but lets wait for the final product.

I saying there definatly some room for furhher improvements and if we look how Fortnite is managing on other platforms, we can expect something similar on Switch also, game is just launched on Switch offcourse there will further optimisation. 

Yeah Doom had some minor improvements but Rocket League is totaly difrent story, it recived couple of improved and optimisation patches that brought us more stabile frame rate, better resolution and better visuals, because its online game that will keep playing and getting new content and patches and we can expect same for Fortnite.

Not a single person is denying there room for further optimization of Fortnite on Switch. Maybe on a more stable 30 fps and improvements to the dynamic resolution.

But also, don't expect massive improvements like Rocket League. Which is less GPU intensive to begin with.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I don't remember Halo 4 looking nearly as bad as you just described. 

You cherry picked one of the most impressive games of the 7th gen. But even then, it had lots of dithering, muddy textures, and pixelated due to 720p with no significant anti aliasing. 

But even then the X1 port looks significantly better by simply improving the resolution and other visual tweaks without touching the assets. If Halo 4 had better textures it would be passable as an 8th gen game, especially for 1080p/60 fps.

But, I mean... what you're trying to argue (the eight generation was a sizable jump) doesn't hold water compared to every other generation before it. Hell, I literally SAW each jump, starting from Atari 2600. I know what it use to be like to look at a brand new generation with shock and awe. When I first saw Sonic Adventure and NFL2k, my fucking jaw hit the floor. It BLEW MINDS. I'm not overstating that either... we were all literately flabbergasted.

I reckon with subsequent work Fortnite could run at a more stable 30fps on Switch with less aggressive dynamic res scaling.

Doom's post-launch performance patch effectively changed it from a 20-30fps game to a 25-30fps one, while Rocket League's update upped it's target resolution from 720p docked and 576p portable to 936p docked and 720p portable.

There is ample precedent for the game to be technically improved over time.

curl-6 said:

I reckon with subsequent work Fortnite could run at a more stable 30fps on Switch with less aggressive dynamic res scaling.

Doom's post-launch performance patch effectively changed it from a 20-30fps game to a 25-30fps one, while Rocket League's update upped it's target resolution from 720p docked and 576p portable to 936p docked and 720p portable.

rocket league you can look at and clearly see switch can do much better, doom really got like 2fps bump in intense fights, nothing worth noting imo.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

rocket league you can look at and clearly see switch can do much better, doom really got like 2fps bump in intense fights, nothing worth noting imo.

2fps bump to the average framerate over time, but the real difference is where the those extra frames come from; the heavier drops are substantially reduced.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

2fps bump to the average framerate over time, but the real difference is where the those extra frames come from; the heavier drops are substantially reduced.

I would say its a very small difference imo.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

I would say its a very small difference imo.

I never said it was a massive leap, but when the heavier drops are 2fps less, you can feel it, as I can attest having played the game myself pre and post patch. A drop to 27fps doesn't grate as much as a drop to 25fps.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You cherry picked one of the most impressive games of the 7th gen. But even then, it had lots of dithering, muddy textures, and pixelated due to 720p with no significant anti aliasing. 

But even then the X1 port looks significantly better by simply improving the resolution and other visual tweaks without touching the assets. If Halo 4 had better textures it would be passable as an 8th gen game, especially for 1080p/60 fps.

But, I mean... what you're trying to argue (the eight generation was a sizable jump) doesn't hold water compared to every other generation before it. Hell, I literally SAW each jump, starting from Atari 2600. I know what it use to be like to look at a brand new generation with shock and awe. When I first saw Sonic Adventure and NFL2k, my fucking jaw hit the floor. It BLEW MINDS. I'm not overstating that either... we were all literately flabbergasted.

I think you're arguing diminishing returns. The Dreamcast in particular felt like the biggest leap in visuals simply because models weren't blocky anymore, textures didn't pixels or mud, lighting effects were more realistic, etc.

At this point it doesn't feel as amazing if character models have quadruple the polygons, 4K textures and lighting that virtually emulates real life. It can impress, but we've become jaded even if the improvements are significant.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

quickrick said:
Rab said:

Not at release on those platforms

Its pretty obvious that those platforms can do fortnite at 60fps with little to no effort it was rock solid 30fps and we know those platforms are way more capable, switch on the other hand can't even hold a solid 30fps, and switch hitting 60fps from third party's is very rare.

That's just wrong, the XB1 was also doing sub 30fps, dropping down into the 20's

Anyway DF did say it was a "good port", and it's just the beginning  

Last edited by Rab - on 19 June 2018

Rab said:
quickrick said:

Its pretty obvious that those platforms can do fortnite at 60fps with little to no effort it was rock solid 30fps and we know those platforms are way more capable, switch on the other hand can't even hold a solid 30fps, and switch hitting 60fps from third party's is very rare.

That's just wrong, the XB1 was also doing sub 30fps, dropping down into the 20's

Anyway DF did say it was a "good port", and it's just the beginning  

I can't see the video. if you are talking about early access video from DF, then that was save the world mode, where ps4, and xbone x still don't hit a locked 30fps.