By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF analysis: Fortnite on Switch

Mr Puggsly said:
Miyamotoo said:

I saying there definatly some room for furhher improvements and if we look how Fortnite is managing on other platforms, we can expect something similar on Switch also, game is just launched on Switch offcourse there will further optimisation. 

Yeah Doom had some minor improvements but Rocket League is totaly difrent story, it recived couple of improved and optimisation patches that brought us more stabile frame rate, better resolution and better visuals, because its online game that will keep playing and getting new content and patches and we can expect same for Fortnite.

Not a single person is denying there room for further optimization of Fortnite on Switch. Maybe on a more stable 30 fps and improvements to the dynamic resolution.

But also, don't expect massive improvements like Rocket League. Which is less GPU intensive to begin with.

Like I wrote, I expecting more stabile frame rate, better resolution and better visuals same like it was case for post Fortnite optimisations for PS4/XB1.

Actually we probably talk mostly about GPU optimisation for Switch hardware and Switch version of game (that was also case for PS4/XB1 versions of games), game already runs on ARM CPUs on mobile devices, but there aren't many Tegra X1 GPU devices on market, so Tegra X1 probably has most room for optimisations and improvements.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Ryzen and Navi are not mobile chips

Well. Not entirely accurate. Those chips will be in mobile devices like 2 in 1 tablets/convertibles, notebooks and so on.

Miyamotoo said:

while Nvidia has great mobile technology and while Xavier is aimed on first place for auto industry could easily be used for Switch 2 (Xavier would gave them similar performance to XB1 S), offcourse it would be smaller and less power hungry than mobile Ryzen and Navi in any case. I mean even X2 Tegra would give at least 50% boost in capabilities for Switch.

AMD does have the capability to go mobile, are you forgetting that Qualcomm's Adreno GPU is actually Radeon derived?
Heck, re-arrange the latters of "Adreno" and you get "Radeon".

Ryzen specifically can go down to some very low TDP states, not Tegra low, but still impressively low so you are on the money there.

Miyamotoo said:

Dont forget, Nvidia said that their partnership for Switch will last 20 years, so they definitely have on mind Nintendo hardware with their chips and they are preparing chips for Switch revisions and Switch 2.

Well. They kinda need every design win they can get to keep Tegra relevant.

curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

rocket league you can look at and clearly see switch can do much better, doom really got like 2fps bump in intense fights, nothing worth noting imo.

2fps bump to the average framerate over time, but the real difference is where the those extra frames come from; the heavier drops are substantially reduced.

Indeed. Minimum framerates are truly the important metric, it's the lowest of the low and generally what you will notice most.
After that... Frame Pacing is the other important metric.
Average framerates are pretty unimportant if you are trying to hit a locked 30/60fps anyway.

Miyamotoo said:

Like I wrote, I expecting more stabile frame rate, better resolution and better visuals same like it was case for post Fortnite optimisations for PS4/XB1.

Actually we probably talk mostly about GPU optimisation for Switch hardware and Switch version of game (that was also case for PS4/XB1 versions of games), game already runs on ARM CPUs on mobile devices, but there aren't many Tegra X1 GPU devices on market, so Tegra X1 probably has most room for optimisations and improvements.

Plus the Switch employs a different set of API's that need tweaking for, it takes time... And developers are learning.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--