By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How stupid is it that MS doesnt allow cross platform play with Steam on PC with games such as Ark?

Jumpin said:
People are not angry that Sony blocks crossplay, they're angry that if they login their account on PS4 they can never use it again on other platforms without any kind of warning.

False. Sony have been getting stick for over a year regarding cross play. Just the double standard ms have and they've no moral high ground here over Sony. 

Around the Network

Didn't take long for someone to debunk this, next!

John2290 said:

Haven't had any trouble since I upped my internet and went full digital.

I have a 100Mbps connection. It's still cumbersome.

John2290 said:

I keep overwatch, rocket league OG destiny and other single player titles loaded for quick play if I've nothing lined up like Nex machina, Darksouls, Dirt rally and as they update automatically behind the scenes I never have once, beside maybe a five minute wait if there is the rare console firmware update, had trouble loading into any of those games instantly without fail. The only exception to my go to list of games is FF14 which has a slow client on consoles but I hear this is a problem on ever system. 

I think the issue is I have my PC turned on, all day. So games like Overwatch can download their updates in the background and I don't really notice.
But on the Xbox One X, without fail... If I wanted to play Overwatch, I would have to perform an update to the game.
I am not leaving my console turned on/standby 24/7 when I might play it once in a blue moon, it is a waste of electricity. (Which is 48c per kwh.)

I have also had bugs in the past where I have been unable to install/update a game because... There was a pending update on the console itself, which I had to manually initiate in the settings.
Such a thing never happens on PC.

John2290 said:

Consoles have never been more convenient when I can preload a game I've been desperately waiting for a week to play as the reviews were dropping and have it ready at midnight to pop 2 or three hours out.

It was convenient when you could buy the game, drop it into the tray and instantly start playing.

What isn't convenient is when you also have basic features like 1440P support that you had to wait for 6 months to be added to the console, you literally get what you are given on console.

John2290 said:

If you don't have the internet or aren't fully digital I can understand how convenience is being compromised,I'd be in the same boat had my disk drive not gave out but fully digital with a 2TB HD and Internet speeds where you can download a 50gig file in less than half an hour and you're proper sorted

I keep everything installed on a pair of 4 Terabyte external drives on my Xbox. - Even that storage is probably going to run out soon.

John2290 said:

No messing with installd, files, settings, drivers, drm security, cracks to get around drm security, constant  steam errors when you add mods or nexus just plain notworking...

I don't have to mess with any of that on PC? I have been a PC gamer for decades... As consoles get more PC-like and start to get more inconvenient to buy/download/install/play games... The PC is going in the opposite direction.

John2290 said:

I'm so glad to be done with PC, there isn't enough time in the world.

Couldn't live without my PC.

John2290 said:

Plus the oddles of money I have now to put into games rather than hardware savings funds.

The PC works out cheaper over the long term, games are cheaper, there is free online don'cha know

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jumpin said:
People are not angry that Sony blocks crossplay, they're angry that if they login their account on PS4 they can never use it again on other platforms without any kind of warning.

This should have ended the thread. Why hasn't this ended the thread?

loy310 said:
Crossplay was the fake outrage this week. The real issue is cross-progression, thats what Sony is getting haggled over.
If we took all 3 consoles and lined them up and look at who does crossplay better, Sony would win by far simply because they allow it for ios, android, and pc, and i cant blame them if they dont want to aid their DIRECT competitors, the xbox and switch. No reason for Sony to help the users on those platforms enjoy games on those platforms more.

Sony allows crossplay with Andriod, IOS, PC

Nintendo allows crossplay with Andriod, IOS, PC, Xbox One

Microsoft allows crossplay with Andriod, IOS, PC, Nintendo  Switch. 

Around the Network
John2290 said:

I think we are on different consoles here. Ps4 has that rest mode so what ever needs doing,it gets done and I just have to restart the odd time.

That is Stand-by mode.
The Xbox One has a similar feature.

...But it also completely defies the point of turning it off to save power.

Not to mention there was a bug awhile ago where instead of updating the game, it would re-download the entire game from scratch. And stuff that.
I use my internet connection for allot of demanding tasks, I do not want megabits of bandwidth taken away almost at random if I am doing something mission critical on my PC. (I.E. Server stuff.)

John2290 said:

As for PC. It was not cheaper for me and I almost always had a conflict of some sort that took away from game time.

If you are like me who builds large game library's for every owned platform, there is significant savings to be had.
You never have to buy a PC game at full price, even on release date. Ever.

John2290 said:

Besides for the money and console graphics gaining parity at the start of this gen the main reason I didn't upgrade my shit was because developers started making things more difficult with drm software in thier games and I kept coming upon problems until a crack came along and by that but I'd given up on the game.

Consoles are far from having parity with the PC in terms of visuals.

The Xbox One X has a low-end CPU with a mid-range GPU and only 12GB of total memory. (Not all of which is dedicated to gaming anyway.)
The Playstation 4 Pro is even more anemic in comparison.

They aren't pushing the same levels of fidelity being seen on PC, heck they can't even exceed 4k output resolutions.

As for DRM. Stick with GOG. It's DRM free PC gaming. Always.

John2290 said:

And I'm not sure how PC is cheaper in the long run when I can't play new releases without serious set backs if at all.

1) You don't need to replace a PC as often. - I am still running a PC with a Core 2 Quad that is 10+ years old, it's still playing some of the latest games today.
All that has been upgraded is the occasional GPU every few years, which the free online more than covers cost-wise.

Can the Xbox 360 play Overwatch? No? Thought so. That's a cost saving right there.

2) Free online.

3) All games are cheaper. This isn't even up for debate, whilst Microsoft or Sony might discount a few hundred games on the odd occasion... Steam sales will discount 10,000+ games.
Not to mention there is always a sale on somewhere, be it on Origin, uPlay, Battle.net, Greenman Gaming, Gog, Microsoft Store, Humble Bundle, Amazon, Direct2Drive, Gamersgate, Desura... I could go on. But you get the point.
That is on top of most new releases being $10 cheaper by default compared to the console version. (At-least in Oceania, can't speak for other regions.)

Once you start buying hundreds of games, that saving will add up.

4) Cheaper accessories. - A $10 keyboard and mouse is certainly cheaper than an $80 AUD XBox One/Playstation 4 Controller.

John2290 said:

My laptop is also reaching that point now where the specs are getting outweighed even on PC genres like RTS, 4x etc and I've no reason besides VR to buy back in.

Highlighted your incorrect purchasing choice if you had any intention of playing games over the long term.

John2290 said:

Gaming should be fun and while modding is fun of itself when, at least for me, it gets to that obsessive point where I'd prioritize mods and messing around with settings to get the best experience while missing the point to begin with, the actual game.

Not sure what kind of PC you had. But I have always been able to simply install and play without any drama.

John2290 said:

It's Also Much, Much Harder To budget A Build Now Ive Realized As Its Not The Specs That Can Do You In But The Games Themselves.

You don't need the latest and greatest PC to play games, one of the great things about the PC is that is has decades worth of backwards compatibility at your disposal.

John2290 said:

Its Almost Like The Developers Are Pushing PC Gamers Away From PC On Purpose With DRM And Just Not Optimizing But Only For What Ever build Mimics Consoles.

You are simply making the wrong purchasing choices.
There are DRM free alternatives, look into it.

John2290 said:

Ive Read Enough Utter Horror Stories And Had A Few Told In First Person To Know That Now Os Not The Time For PC Gaming.

Right now is indeed a shit time to build a new PC from scratch due to a myriad of factors.

However, you can get a gaming PC extremely cheap if you go to swap meets or look at second hand markets.
Haswell quad-core rigs for instance are getting fairly cheap, drop in a decent GPU (As prices are now at sane levels) and bobs your uncle, gaming PC.

John2290 said:

When People Put In 4 Thousand On Hardware In The Time Since The Console Gen Reset And They Are Getting Back A Subpar Experience To Console Then Something Is Rotten In Denmark.

A gaming PC doesn't need to be that expensive. Me and CGI have PC's that expensive (Actually more), because we can actually use that extra power for things other than games.

But overall, you can get a gaming PC for the price of a New 3DS XL here if you know what to look for and are willing to go second hand.

John2290 said:

Also,Ive No Idea Why My Phone KeepS Capitalizing Single Words.

This is another thing the PC is good for. ;)

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
No one cares about this shit, it just ammo to trash companies people dont like. Its been like this since last E3 , Phil Spencer is milking this since last E3 to trow shots at sony.

microsoft fans have plenty of people to play games with that are not ps4 users, ps4 users the same with cross play with pc.

Just because I can play with 70% of my friends which is plenty doen't mean that I don't care about the other 30%.

I always wonder in which world some people live to think it makes no difference if you can or can't play with certain people you know in real life.

If someone at work asks me to play a round with him after work and I can't because of this then yes, it sucks and it is something which affects me and him.

-snip-

I keep responding to this shit, but it's still off topic.

Last edited by Azuren - on 17 June 2018

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Jumpin said:

No, I am very much also angry that Sony blocks cross play.

OT: Where has is ever been proven that it's MS blocking cross platform play for Ark?

I genuinely can't believe that people are defending Sony for not allowing cross play. Doesn't matter if MS used to not allow it. That's not the case anymore, meaning it's just Sony. And cross play has nothing to do with exclusives, so please can that false equivalency.

John2290 said:

My laptop is beefier than my last PC build which is on parity with ps4 and bought in 2012.

It's still a laptop.
You don't buy a laptop expecting any kind of longevity with gaming.
Just like you don't buy a Mac expecting to play the latest games.

The reason why Laptops are typically not suited for gaming is... Well. Power.
They have a limited TDP budget, which means on the CPU side there are cutbacks to frequency and/or core counts.
Most laptop manufacturers usually only outfit notbooks with only a single SODIMM module.
And then on the GPU side... Is where the largest cutbacks are to be had, usually they are a step down from the desktop equivalents and usually are fitted with significantly worse (And often less) DRAM, if you get any at all.

And whilst it is all well and good to state that it is beefier than a Playstation 4... Keep in mind it is not a Playstation 4.

John2290 said:

Last time I pit money into an actual PC 2010ish, Can it run Crysis was still a thing and it could run crysis very well but it can't run jack shit now.

My 3930K rig is circa 2011~. Still going strong as a spare machine.
Guess what? It's still faster than the Xbox One X or Playstation 4 Pro. - And the games that it is still running is evidence of that.

John2290 said:

And again. We are talking different systems here,you are talking Xbox. I'm talking ps4.

Doesn't matter. They are both consoles.

John2290 said:

One of my mates in particular who has put 4 thousand euro into his PC and I'm still taking the piss out of him post Horizon and now with GOW and Detroit.

Your mate isn't a representation of the entire PC gaming community.

John2290 said:

They are beyond anything vanilla on his PC and it takes some heavy modding to get there and STILL the visuals aren't as refined or polished because there is always that jancky look around the edges that remains that you just can't get rid of if the developer isn't as talented as what is coming out pf sony.

The majority of Playstation 4 games are on PC.
They pretty much always look and run better on PC.

The PC also has a ton of talented developers. The PC also has more developers.

John2290 said:

He has 4k tv and a pro and we have been in awe since UC4, we matched both horizon and GOW in HDR 4k against each other to his picks from steam and the difference was massive even in 1080p and performance mode, I can't imagine how much detroit bashes everything else in terms of facial animations.

4k? PC has 5k and 8k.
Or hows about something like 11,520x2160? It is all well and good that you have 4k, but the PC had 4k almost 15 years ago.
1080P was something 20 years ago on PC, while console gamers were still fumbling with 480P.

John2290 said:

Its hard to gauge these things exactly going from room to rooom with different games but its appparent as all hell when seen in person, way better gauge than YT video comparisons and the two games mentioned on here that are supposed to top it, star citizen and Battlefield 2 I haven't seen but it took modded games specifically GTA5 modded to high hell to get close to Horizon and my opinion is that nothing has gotten close to GOW even modded.

I run consoles and PC. I can assure you... I haven't seen anything that can touch a high-end PC game like Battlefront 2 that has been supersampled.
That Photogrammatry is really something.

StarCitizen is a tech showcase as well, the level of simulation it has is almost next-gen in a multitude of areas.

John2290 said:

A console you can buy for 350 euro now shouldn't put ultra settings to shame.

Well. You did state prior that nothing on PC can touch God of War (I beg to differ). And now you state that a $350 console shouldn't put ultra settings to shame?
You are contradicting yourself.

John2290 said:

As for buying libraries I'm also WELL over that as it leads to a time issue. I'd advice you to rethink doing so also. I only buy as much time as I have to play and add on a few here and there that maybe I don't but the 3 thousand or so I've spent this gen I've typically played more than 75% that wasn't bought on sale or a PSN freebie.

It's my money. I've earned it.
Gaming and collecting games is my hobby to level myself out and unwind. - If anything, it allows me to do my jobs more effectively.
Do I play all the games I own? Shit no. I still have a few PS2 games in their plastic wrapping.

John2290 said:

There is much merit to buying into one console more than there is buying all of them. Last gen I barely played 20% of games across the systems and I wouldn't be surprised if it was under 10 percent with some of the wii games added in or the steam flash sales. I certainly rarley finished a game or felt satisfied in my purchase as i do now.

There is much merit to buying a console from each manufacturer as well.

John2290 said:

But to each there own. It's your money. Mine is mine. At least we're having fun.

Indeed.