By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: Warframe announced for Switch, being ported by Panic Button

quickrick said:
Barkley said:

Resolution isn't demanding, it's what has to be rendered at that resolution, anything can run Pacman at 1080p. Lighting, Shadows, Reflections and other shaders are usually the biggest hits on performance.

What? 720p to 1080p requires 2.5x the raw  power. I understand what you're saying about pacman, but it doesn't make any sense. lowering resolution is the best way to get the best performance  in a game while keep it's original look.  you look at ps4 pro or xbox x peromance mode in games for example when they try to hit 60fps, every developer lowers resolution as it's the best way to get better performance, all you have to do is look at how big dynamic resolution is. 

It's the best way to get better performance if you're not willing to remove "shiny effects". I for one would much rather have a sharp crisp looking game. I'm not saying lowering resolution doesn't have a big impact on performance, I'm saying lowering these effects has a big impact also. The reason behind the choice to lower resolution is the same as the reason developers don't target 60fps on consoles, "ooh look pretty effects". I'd always prioritise in the order of Frame Rate > Resolution > Graphical Effects, Developers tend to go for Graphical Effects > Frame Rate (30fps) > Resolution > Frame Rate (60fps).

"With Wolfenstein 2, Panic Button instead focuses on delivering an experience that is as close as possible to the original release in terms of visual makeup and basic design. Removing things like volumetric lighting, ambient occlusion, per-object motion blur and dynamic lighting could have increased performance, but it would come at the expense of its visual identity" - DF

They left those in, instead of delivering a game that was consistently 720p or higher. I would have removed every single one if I had to.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
quickrick said:

What? 720p to 1080p requires 2.5x the raw  power. I understand what you're saying about pacman, but it doesn't make any sense. lowering resolution is the best way to get the best performance  in a game while keep it's original look.  you look at ps4 pro or xbox x peromance mode in games for example when they try to hit 60fps, every developer lowers resolution as it's the best way to get better performance, all you have to do is look at how big dynamic resolution is. 

It's the best way to get better performance if you're not willing to remove "shiny effects". I for one would much rather have a sharp crisp looking game. I'm not saying lowering resolution doesn't have a big impact on performance, I'm saying lowering these effects has a big impact also. The reason behind the choice to lower resolution is the same as the reason developers don't target 60fps on consoles, "ooh look pretty effects". I'd always prioritise in the order of Frame Rate > Resolution > Graphical Effects, Developers tend to go for Graphical Effects > Frame Rate (30fps) > Resolution > Frame Rate (60fps).

"With Wolfenstein 2, Panic Button instead focuses on delivering an experience that is as close as possible to the original release in terms of visual makeup and basic design. Removing things like volumetric lighting, ambient occlusion, per-object motion blur and dynamic lighting could have increased performance, but it would come at the expense of its visual identity" - DF

They left those in, instead of delivering a game that was consistently 720p or higher. I would have removed every single one if I had to.

I understand what you're saying, but maybe removing those effects still didn't get anywhere the same performance as lowering the resolution. 

Last edited by quickrick - on 09 July 2018

Jranation said:

Like I replied to you above this comment. People can use their Mobile phone as a hotspot for the Switch to connect to and play online. Very easy to do and allows more than 1 Switch to connect to (if you are playing with friends)

It would have been even easier and more intuitive if Nintendo bothered to have LTE support to begin with.
Jumping through more hoops isn't always a good thing.

quickrick said:

Higher resolution is way more demanding then cutting down some effects, that's the reason they drop resolution so much on the  other 2 games. while rocket league was probably not holding a rocket solid 60fps, so cutting down some effects made sense, as it was really close to reaching it's target anyway.

Not entirely accurate.
In short, it's a balancing act.

I mean... On PC you could have had 4k resolutions in same games 15 years ago when console gamer were still thinking 480P was cool.

Barkley said:

Turning off an effect, volumetric lighting for example, does not require a lot of work, Let's not forget both these titles are on PC with graphics options to turn off most of it already. Instead they decided to just downsample the textures and lower the render resolution. I would say neither requires much more work than the other. Though I'd much rather they had better resolution and textures.

You would be surprised how many effects can be toggled on and off, the ability to do so is usually built-in right at the engine level and is exposed to the developers working on the game.

quickrick said:

What? 720p to 1080p requires 2.5x the raw  power.

False.
You should probably study more about game engines, not everything in a game actually renders at the output resolution.

quickrick said:

you look at ps4 pro or xbox x peromance mode in games for example when they try to hit 60fps, every developer lowers resolution as it's the best way to get better performance, all you have to do is look at how big dynamic resolution is. 

They do that because of how easy it is to implement. It's significantly easier adjusting the final output resolution via a command line than it is going back and remaking some of the art work from scratch to look better at a lower resolution.

quickrick said:

I understand what you're saying, but maybe removing those effects still didn't get anywhere the same performance as lowering the resolution. 

How can you even assert such a thing? They made a choice to retain the rendering pipeline at the expense of resolution and performance, not the other way around.

If they actually spent more time reworking the game so that the shadowing and lighting was baked, simplified the GPU accelerated particle effects and dumbed down the physics... Aka. What most 7th gen games would have done... They could have gotten away with a much higher resolution and framerate... But that would have come at the cost of significant development time and money, something they were obviously not going to do.

Still though, it's impressive what the Tegra chip in the Switch is capable of, makes you wonder what it could have been if Nintendo didn't castrate the clock speeds of that chip... And I am extremely interested to see how future porting efforts go as it's still super early days yet.
Credit where credit is due and all that.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Jranation said:

How can you even assert such a thing? They made a choice to retain the rendering pipeline at the expense of resolution and performance, not the other way around.

If they actually spent more time reworking the game so that the shadowing and lighting was baked, simplified the GPU accelerated particle effects and dumbed down the physics... Aka. What most 7th gen games would have done... They could have gotten away with a much higher resolution and framerate... But that would have come at the cost of significant development time and money, something they were obviously not going to do.

Still though, it's impressive what the Tegra chip in the Switch is capable of, makes you wonder what it could have been if Nintendo didn't castrate the clock speeds of that chip... And I am extremely interested to see how future porting efforts go as it's still super early days yet.
Credit where credit is due and all that.

Thats what i originally said. it's a lot more work, and people were like they could just disable effects, and get to 720p, i'm not sure if that easy.

Last edited by quickrick - on 09 July 2018

Faelco said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Just like No Man Sky is AAA of indies, Sony fans always told that to me

Why do you seem obsessed about NMS? Two posts in a row to complain about it were necessary? 

NMS has never been an AAA. It's an indie game developed by a small team, "AAA of indie" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. What's next? "The most FPS of racing games"?

Warframe isn't AAA and never was, that's it. 

What? You mean what Sony fans said to me is wrong? Oh no, how can you say that? Sony and their fans can never be wrong

BANNED: Trolling ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 09 July 2018

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I don't think being an online game on the Switch is that much of an issue given how successful Fortnite has been on the platform.

Fortnite, Paladins, Splatoon 2, Rocket League, the thought that Switch owners don't have a mobile phone in their pockets with which can become a portable hotspot is 2009 thinking.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

curl-6 said: 

Cerebralbore101 said: 

But oh well. After all, a Korean asset flip FPS game, from a mobile company, with rampant cheating, no regional servers, and broken physics won GotY last year.

What game would that be?

PUBG

cool haven't played this game in years and cool they have the window to transfer account. I hope my account on pc is still there to transer. But I seriously have to LOL at ppl acting like an online game in portable is not benefit I have my phone with me all the time. Just turn on my hotspot and play it while on the go

Cerebralbore101 said:

PUBG

Speaking of which, the fact they haven't brought this one over to Switch is a bit baffling, considering it as a mobile version that runs on specs worse than Switch. I personally wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but it makes sense for Switch to pick up as many popular games of this type as it can.

curl-6 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

PUBG

Speaking of which, the fact they haven't brought this one over to Switch is a bit baffling, considering it as a mobile version that runs on specs worse than Switch. I personally wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but it makes sense for Switch to pick up as many popular games of this type as it can.

Its not even on PS4 yet, probably has something to do with the Microsoft exclusivity deal.