By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Supreme Court: Christian baker does not have to bake 'the gay cake'

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/669673002

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Wiibaron said:
Should a gay owned bakery be forced to make a cake that says 'God Hates Fags'? There is the answer without BS.

Yes this so true 

No it's not true. "God hate Fags" is an insulting attack on gays. Baking a cake for a person that simply wants a cake is so absolutely not the same. Unless you are implying that simply being gay is in and of itself an aggressive attack to that baker of the same level as "God Hates Fags" is an attack on gays.

Do you hate gays that much that their simple presence and request for a cake is so aggressive to you that you consider that saying "God hates Fags" is the equivalent in hate and aggressiveness?

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I see.

But and I mean this very respectfully, next time you or better yet, one of your children are seriously sick and you urgently rush them to the hospital and the doctor or surgeon there says that he refuses to save their lives cause he does not like your skin color or your opinions or whatever, then if you are consistent with what you are saying you'll simply leave the hospital with your dying kid and rush to another hospital hoping you get there on time to save your kid, if you don't get there on time then you cannot blame that surgeon who refused to help because and I quote you "it makes you more sick to imagine a world where everyone is forced to agree with each other at legal gunpoint".

You must respect his "freedom" to not save your kid, because apparently in America one does not choose a job to provide a service to everyone but only to a select group depending on personal beliefs and opinions.

I would disagree with this comparison, since medical care is an essential need, while a wedding cake is...obviously not. Even if the doctor in this extreme example is a private practice, he still chooses to ignore his Hippocratic oath, and so I'd say there should be repercussions given he has certain obligations to his profession. A private bake store owner has no such thing, and his business is purely non-essential, so obviously the comparison doesn't work.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

CrazyGamer2017 said:
HollyGamer said:

Yes this so true 

No it's not true. "God hate Fags" is an insulting attack on gays. Baking a cake for a person that simply wants a cake is so absolutely not the same. Unless you are implying that simply being gay is in and of itself an aggressive attack to that baker of the same level as "God Hates Fags" is an attack on gays.

Do you hate gays that much that their simple presence and request for a cake is so aggressive to you that you consider that saying "God hates Fags" is the equivalent in hate and aggressiveness?

LMAO , relax boi, in reality there is people who love and like certain thing and there is also people who hate certain thing. 

Super_Boom said:

I would disagree with this comparison, since medical care is an essential need, while a wedding cake is...obviously not. Even if the doctor in this extreme example is a private practice, he still chooses to ignore his Hippocratic oath, and so I'd say there should be repercussions given he has certain obligations to his profession. A private bake store owner has no such thing, and his business is purely non-essential, so obviously the comparison doesn't work.

Except the issue people have been discussing here so far is RELIGIOUS FREEDOM to segregate customers if their views or life style is not compatible. NOT the relevance or importance of providing cakes.

You would be right if the issue had been from the beginning the fact that cakes are not important or vital. But the issue was always that baker's right to refuse a customer NOT based on his job not being vital but on his religious freedom taking precedence OVER the right of American people to be served regardless of their skin color/sexual orientation etc.

So changing the rules in the middle of the game and shifting to a totally different issue which is vital jobs vs non vital ones is not the issue here. In this context if a professional has the right to discriminate his customers because and I quote other people in this thread: RELIGIOUS FREEDOM and FREE MARKET meaning you choose who you serve and don't serve then you cannot say that free market and religious freedom apply to one type of business but not another.

The bottom line is if you don't want to save lives, don't become a doctor and if you don't want to serve customers who want cake, don't become a baker because that makes sense. You choose a profession because you (hopefully) love what you do and your religious beliefs have NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER when you are working. Well at least in my opinion, it seems we are going to agree to disagree on this one.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
HollyGamer said:

Yes this so true 

Would you get the point if the cake just said "marriage is only between men and women" instead of "god hates fags"? 

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Well at least in my opinion, it seems we are going to agree to disagree on this one.

Well if you can agree and disagree with something  then other person (baker, cake seller  or store owner ) can also disagree with others people opinion. 

Aeolus451 said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Would you get the point if the cake just said "marriage is only between men and women" instead of "god hates fags"? 

It doesn't matter because either way is a false equivalence.

One (the matter at hand) is speaking about not providing a generic service to a specific customer.

The other (your hypothetical) is speaking about not providing a specific service to a generic customer.

The first is not providing services because of 'who' is requesting them (which is discriminatory), while the second is not providing a specific service no matter who is requesting them. No one would complain if a plumber refused to provide someone with a wedding cake because that is not a service they provide to anyone. On the other hand, if a plumber refused to fix your toilet because you were Muslim, that would be an issue of discrimination...

NightlyPoe said:

Above all, I think this is ultimately a question of respect.  A little understanding on both sides goes a long way.  Christians should respect that gay people are going to live their lives the way they wish, but gay people should understand that some Christians (and other religions) have their own set of beliefs that prohibit them from participating in celebrations that go against said religion.  It's really not all that difficult of an equation, but there's a sense of all or nothing that prevents mutually beneficial compromise.

You know what the ultimate irony is? The one thing that totally kills me?

I'm not very religious so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't religion about love, tolerance and not judging lest ye be judged?

Didn't Jesus speak of loving thy neighbor and all that stuff? Isn't religion about finding a God of love and everybody is happy till the end of times and what not?

Isn't God the ONLY ONE that is supposed to judge men?

Funny cause I'm not religious but it seems to me that people like that baker are even less religious than me, as in he's totally doing the opposite of what his religion is supposed to be about.

People find religions to justify their hate. How do I not drop dead right on the spot when I see such a huge contradiction? Such a blatant irony...

CrazyGamer2017 said:
NightlyPoe said:

Above all, I think this is ultimately a question of respect.  A little understanding on both sides goes a long way.  Christians should respect that gay people are going to live their lives the way they wish, but gay people should understand that some Christians (and other religions) have their own set of beliefs that prohibit them from participating in celebrations that go against said religion.  It's really not all that difficult of an equation, but there's a sense of all or nothing that prevents mutually beneficial compromise.

You know what the ultimate irony is? The one thing that totally kills me?

I'm not very religious so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't religion about love, tolerance and not judging lest ye be judged?

Didn't Jesus speak of loving thy neighbor and all that stuff? Isn't religion about finding a God of love and everybody is happy till the end of times and what not?

Isn't God the ONLY ONE that is supposed to judge men?

Funny cause I'm not religious but it seems to me that people like that baker are even less religious than me, as in he's totally doing the opposite of what his religion is supposed to be about.

People find religions to justify their hate. How do I not drop dead right on the spot when I see such a huge contradiction? Such a blatant irony...

No.