By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MegaMan 11 for Switch to be digital only in Europe

Ganoncrotch said:
This impacts me in no way what so ever and the people who think it does impact them need to think to themselves "what difference does it make" other than not having to carry an extra cart with your system or to be awkwardly trying to change carts while traveling rather than just clicking it on the home screen.

Honestly the most annoying game on the Switch is imaginators which is the only title not available digitally.

Have fun trying to play the game in 10 years, when Nintendo will have shut down its Switch distribution servers.

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
Ganoncrotch said:
This impacts me in no way what so ever and the people who think it does impact them need to think to themselves "what difference does it make" other than not having to carry an extra cart with your system or to be awkwardly trying to change carts while traveling rather than just clicking it on the home screen.

Honestly the most annoying game on the Switch is imaginators which is the only title not available digitally.

Have fun trying to play the game in 10 years, when Nintendo will have shut down its Switch distribution servers.

Is it a real worry for you that you'll buy a game now and not be able to play it in a decade time? I have a ton of megadrive games from 30 years ago as carts in boxes, don't have an RF tuner on my TV or Projector so I can't use them now, what difference does it make having the carts, in 10 years time you'll likely be able to have a folder of switch games on your PC the same way I've all my megadrive games as Roms on my PC today to enjoy them still.

Do you not worry about how CD's and magnetic storage like carts can also fail over time? or do you think they'll last forever?

(this post is ignoring obvious stuff like how you can backup any of the Wii eshop games you want onto a HDD and put them back onto a system yourself when that store is taken down, much like you can with the Vita and psp games from those digital shops, if you would actually give a rats about playing a Wii title in a decade time after it has been remastered 2-3 times and is more readily available on other devices which feature such things as... hdmi and resolutions over 576i)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
routsounmanman said:

Is it a real worry for you that you'll buy a game now and not be able to play it in a decade time? I have a ton of megadrive games from 30 years ago as carts in boxes, don't have an RF tuner on my TV or Projector so I can't use them now, what difference does it make having the carts, in 10 years time you'll likely be able to have a folder of switch games on your PC the same way I've all my megadrive games as Roms on my PC today to enjoy them still.

Do you not worry about how CD's and magnetic storage like carts can also fail over time? or do you think they'll last forever?

(this post is ignoring obvious stuff like how you can backup any of the Wii eshop games you want onto a HDD and put them back onto a system yourself when that store is taken down, much like you can with the Vita and psp games from those digital shops, if you would actually give a rats about playing a Wii title in a decade time after it has been remastered 2-3 times and is more readily available on other devices which feature such things as... hdmi and resolutions over 576i)

I like to keep my games as a collection, in fact I still have my original GB working along with over 30 games. Nevertheless, even if I completely ignore that and say that I download this game (and I could theoretically keep it in my Switch forever since I have a 200GB sd card), why just the Switch version?

Doesn't it bother you when you're being treated differently? And I would be OK if this were a one time affair, but Capcom has scammed Nintendo Switch for over a year now. This is so not cool for me.

routsounmanman said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I like to keep my games as a collection, in fact I still have my original GB working along with over 30 games. Nevertheless, even if I completely ignore that and say that I download this game (and I could theoretically keep it in my Switch forever since I have a 200GB sd card), why just the Switch version?

Doesn't it bother you when you're being treated differently? And I would be OK if this were a one time affair, but Capcom has scammed Nintendo Switch for over a year now. This is so not cool for me.

Chuck in Pokemon Gold or Silver into that GB and see how good they work today, I mean... the game will boot but the internal clock will have made the carts effectively worthless for save files.

It's the same with resi evil 7, that on switch wasn't a title I'd ever expect to be able to play on the system, but now you can (if you're in Japan) and enjoy playing the game for 6 months for 20e, which is cheaper than other formats and the game is far far far shorter than 6 months worth of play time, but you can finish it for 2/3 the price it is on the other systems with no download required, think of them as options for people to enjoy the games rather than "scamming"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

This is clearly Nintendo's fault for not making the Switch even more successful because that would have been the only way for Capcom to have enough of an incentive to release a physical edition. Basic logic.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
routsounmanman said:

Chuck in Pokemon Gold or Silver into that GB and see how good they work today, I mean... the game will boot but the internal clock will have made the carts effectively worthless for save files.

It's the same with resi evil 7, that on switch wasn't a title I'd ever expect to be able to play on the system, but now you can (if you're in Japan) and enjoy playing the game for 6 months for 20e, which is cheaper than other formats and the game is far far far shorter than 6 months worth of play time, but you can finish it for 2/3 the price it is on the other systems with no download required, think of them as options for people to enjoy the games rather than "scamming"

Using the battery of old cartridges is a really bad comparison. Back then, that tech was the best they could do to preserve the saved files, now modern cartridges can save way more info for a longer period of time. And even then, I can just add another battery to my GC cartridge and play just fine, but if I pay for RE7 and I want to play after a year I have nothing. Even most digital games, I can just save the games I purchased as a backup. I can't do a thing with cloud gaming.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Using the battery of old cartridges is a really bad comparison. Back then, that tech was the best they could do to preserve the saved files, now modern cartridges can save way more info for a longer period of time. And even then, I can just add another battery to my GC cartridge and play just fine, but if I pay for RE7 and I want to play after a year I have nothing. Even most digital games, I can just save the games I purchased as a backup. I can't do a thing with cloud gaming.

If you have no issues doing the soldering work to remove and replace the battery in a GB cart then you should equally have no issues with getting a version of a digital download game to work on a platform 10 years after it has come out, considering that board modification of a GB breaks the EULA with it, the same can be said about modifying a console to play "backups" of games anyway.

As for the resi evil 7 thing... if you pay for a 6 month lease to play it... after 6 months you have nothing if you want to play it, that is the nature of a 6 month/180 day lease to play the game, it works the same if you buy insurance for your car for 6 months, in 12 months time you will have nothing because that is how time and leases work, the idea is you buy it, then play it during the purchased time.

just incase the obviously bad analogy of insurance annoys since it's not gaming related

wow subscriptions

psn + subs

XBL gold

You aren't meant to buy those things if you aren't going to use them for 10 years, you buy them, and use them, as a consumable.

I heard tales of how Capcom in Europe were some cheap dastards when it comes to Nintendo but it still seems crazy how bad they are at this 'support' they give. I mean after a year the writing should be clear to see the Switch is going to be a success and probably number 2 this generation.

Someone please gather the dragon Balls and ask ShenLong that Capcom disappear from the face of the earth.

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 05 June 2018

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Ganoncrotch said:

You're acting as if digital is convenient for every person that's not the case especially when you have to factor not only the type of internet people may have whether or not they have a big enough SD card with enough space, what's good for you may not be for other people. Digital is also subject to the servers while a hard copy isn't which is a key reason people opt for the latter.