By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will this be the last year PS4 outsells Switch?

Teeqoz said:
LethalP said:

My point is, the current gap is 1.5 million in PS4's favor. Will that grow significantly up until the holidays? Or do you expect Switch to close that gap in the mid year? As in, by the start of September, what will the gap be? Just a wild guess?

The current gap is only reported by VGC. It's meaningless until we have more concrete figures. I suspect the difference between PS4 and Switch sales is exaggerated on VGC and in reality the gap is much smaller. You can read my response to Barkley below - the concrete sales sources available makes VGC's estimates hard to believe.

Barkley said:

Which is easily explained by the PS4 having 2.9m units on shelves at the end of 2017, and the Switch having stock issues in 2017. Switch would want to ship more then they could sell in that quarter to finally get a healthy amount of units stockpiled on shelves for sale, and Sony would want to ship less to reduce excess stock.

VGC would have us believe the PS4 went from having 2.9 million units on shelves at the end of 2017 to 1.4 million by the end of this Q1. Do you think the PS4 sold 3.94 million in Q1? Because that's what VGC is saying right now. About 971k came from the US, as per NPD, while (an abnormally high) 720k came from Japan, as per Media Create. That still leaves us 2.25 million short of what VGC suggests for Q1. Personally, I think that's too much for Europe and RoW to cover...

That's interesting, I didn't know that there would need to be such high sales of the PS4 in Europe and ROW to reach the sales numbers. I agree that this is a bit too high to seem reasonable compared to the sales in the US. 

Around the Network
LethalP said:
MasonADC said:

How much longer will ps4 continue its pacing ahead of Switch though? It is currently 1.5 million ahead, but will that continue to grow when Switch starts to get new first party releases in June-December? 

Mario Tennis isn't doing a thing lol. It's not until Smash and Pokemon where Nintendo even have a foot through the door. I'll put it like this, PS4 has been sold out for much of May and it's continuing into June. GoW has had an unforseen effect on it's sales. It's winning May, it's definately winning June with the 'Days of Play' sale, completely canceling out any little effect Mario Tennis had for that month. And I see no reason Switch would win any other month of the year other than the ones Smash and Pokemon release in. And even then, if Smash hits September like many think, Sony has Spider-Man. PS4 won October 2017 despite Mario Oddysey, and it didn't even have an exclusive to compete.

I agree that Mario Tennis Aces won't do much on its own. However it's release marks the end of the drought of game releases, which was holding back Switch sales severely for the first half of the year.

This is also the reason why one should not bank on the first half of the year Switch sales to predict how it will do for the remainder of the year. There are quite a few games announced already to release by then, both from Nintendo and from third party publishers, and E3 will certainly add a lot more to the list. This slew of releases will keep Switch sales considerably above what we had until this month, so calculating with those numbers can only lead to a false positive. 

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Switch will continue to look more and more impressive each year it is on the market. It will become the greatest selling console yet.

Nintendo consoles tend to sell fast, and peak early. So good luck with that, 2019 or 2020 will be the peak.

A console peaks early when it doesn't have good third party support.  The Switch will have extremely good third party support.  That is what is going to drive sales for the Switch in 2020 and beyond.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Barkley said:

Nintendo consoles tend to sell fast, and peak early. So good luck with that, 2019 or 2020 will be the peak.

A console peaks early when it doesn't have good third party support.  The Switch will have extremely good third party support.  That is what is going to drive sales for the Switch in 2020 and beyond.

This is none sense, thirdparty support looks weak even from Japanese companies.  

quickrick said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is none sense, thirdparty support looks weak even from Japanese companies.  

I withhold judgment until after E3 for that. First year of the PS4 also was pretty bare, I can still remember it being called the Remasterstation as most big releases early on were, well, remasters. After a good year the influx of games not available to the old gen in one way or another started to rise and the console got more quality exclusives from 3rd party publishers. Pretty sure that the Switch will have a similar life, but we will know that for sure once E3 has passed. 

Around the Network
LethalP said:
MasonADC said:

How much longer will ps4 continue its pacing ahead of Switch though? It is currently 1.5 million ahead, but will that continue to grow when Switch starts to get new first party releases in June-December? 

Mario Tennis isn't doing a thing lol. It's not until Smash and Pokemon where Nintendo even have a foot through the door. I'll put it like this, PS4 has been sold out for much of May and it's continuing into June. GoW has had an unforseen effect on it's sales. It's winning May, it's definately winning June with the 'Days of Play' sale, completely canceling out any little effect Mario Tennis had for that month. And I see no reason Switch would win any other month of the year other than the ones Smash and Pokemon release in. And even then, if Smash hits September like many think, Sony has Spider-Man. PS4 won October 2017 despite Mario Oddysey, and it didn't even have an exclusive to compete.

I do hope you know that for a game to sells some systems, it doesn't need to be a 10+ million seller. While obviously not selling the most systems, games like Mario tennis, octopath, fire emblem, and yoshi will still push units. Assuming the ps4 has no big release for a month like July, I doubt see why the switch couldn't win, or atleast bring it close(around 20k)Switch won October btw, and Sony will only will September if they have a ps4 spider man edition(which I hope they do, I for sure will pick that up). 

MasonADC said:
LethalP said:

I do hope you know that for a game to sells some systems, it doesn't need to be a 10+ million seller. While obviously not selling the most systems, games like Mario tennis, octopath, fire emblem, and yoshi will still push units. Assuming the ps4 has no big release for a month like July, I doubt see why the switch couldn't win, or atleast bring it close(around 20k)Switch won October btw, and Sony will only will September if they have a ps4 spider man edition(which I hope they do, I for sure will pick that up). 

I view them as pretty similar to kirby in how much they will push systems, apparently kirby didn't do much:  http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/43177/Global/

MasonADC said:
LethalP said:

The Switch did win October NPD you're right. 3DS beat PS4 as well, lol. But yeah, I do think Smash has the ability to give the Switch a win in whatever month it releases. But that doesn't guarantee a worldwide win especially where PS4 is concerned.

If you look at the weeks of last October on VGChartz the PS4 won every one by miles, other than the one Mario Odyssey released in. But a week later in November the PS4 took the crown by miles again. It's all these worldwide week wins that made the PS4 sell 7 million more than the Switch last year.

There is a chance Switch wins NPD in every month of the year going forward, but that doesn't mean it will win worldwide where Europe and RoW sales have their say.

You sound like its given that PS4 will sell more than Switch this year..

Megiddo said:
The comments in that last report claim the opposite. That VGC undertracked the PS4. Hence the "According to vgchartz the total sales of Ps4 as december 9th are 71.8, so that means only 600K weekly for the rest of december." followed by "Adjustments are being made. " from trunks.

So I don't know if you're lying on purpose or on accident, but do try and get your facts straight.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271089/sony-ps4-sales-top-736-million-units-worldwide/

Aside from the fact that that comment clearly indicates that the PS4 is undertracked (How do you interpret that as the PS4 having to be adjusted upwards? The comment clearly indicates that selling only 600k weekly for the rest of december was too little, hence the current (at the time) number was too HIGH) you can just check the week of december 9th 2017 and see that the PS4 was adjusted down to 71.3 million. Actually, I'll do it for you:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/43079/Global/

You're very quick on the character assassination when it's you that have to get your facts straight - just a tip for next time, double check your sources to see if they actually back up your claim, instead of doing the exact opposite as in this case. Although it was a bit amusing, I'll give you that.