By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will this be the last year PS4 outsells Switch?

Miyamotoo said:
haxxiy said:

Back on the late Wii days the Nintendo console was, indeed, proportionally stronger on its holiday period than its competitors. However, last year the Switch was outsold by the PS4 in November-December. So, while some are expecting a repeat of the former, other are expecting the later. It's not unreasonable.

Last year Switch had some stock problems, didnt had any deals and Pokemon+Smash Bros are defintly stronger than Mario Odyysey+Xenoblade 2.

switch hardly had stock problems during the holidays, and it was mario kart,  Mario Odyysey, zelda and splatoon 2 first holiday, and all those games sold a ton during there first holidays, along with pent up demand.

Around the Network
Rob5VGC said:
Don't really like comparing a current-last gen system like the PS4 with a current-new gen system like the Switch. But the PS4 will still be going strong next year so I can see it beating Switch. Honestly, it can go either way, but it is possible. It is great to see the PS4 shut these Switch users (annoying as fuck unlike during the Wii U launch period) up . So I hope it happens. :D

is this really necessary?

xMetroid said:
haxxiy said:

Back on the late Wii days the Nintendo console was, indeed, proportionally stronger on its holiday period than its competitors. However, last year the Switch was outsold by the PS4 in November-December. So, while some are expecting a repeat of the former, other are expecting the later. It's not unreasonable.

Console in its PEAK + incredible deals vs a new console couple of months old facing stock issues and with no deal or even bundles. A console in launch period isnt going to sell 20 million consoles lmao. It did like what almost 17 million vs 14 for the ps4.

Y'all need to realise first year =/= sales for life. Switch faced a drought (which is normal after first months of launch) and nintendo literally didnt announce anything for the future during this period so the hype naturally went down. The console still stayed around 200k a week without big announcements or big games for months. 

Switch is finally getting some support in Japan and sales their will explode with the upcoming games. Switch is also growing fast in Europe, even in the UK it is doing really well compare to a couple of months back and that's without any big titles... DKC did that so imagine when pokemon and smash are coming. Switch still have some places to release in RoW like China and Arena of Valor is entering beta soon if thats any indication of a release there soon.

Not saying ps4 can't win the year, but judging the Switch on its first year (which was one of the best of all time for sale numbers) which clearly had stock issues and no deals/bundle and looking at numbers from the drought period when the second half is packed of game is so dumb.

Ps4 didn't win by that much and had GoW, MHW, SotC etc and is entering a somewhat drought in the next months.

Wasn't GoW the only big gun that the PS4 had though? If you are going to count MHW and SotC like that for PS4 yo can't forget stuff like LABO and Kirby for Switch. And isn't the gap close to 2million right now and growing every week? And isn't the Switch also entering a drought in the next couple months? Also outside of the $199 for that one week last year what incredible deals did the PS4 have? And why would Nintendo of had to make new big announcements? It still had MK8, MO AND Zelda(3 of the best rated and top selling games) along with Splatoon 2 going strong for it and was/is the hottest new system on the market. It is like you are giving out all these factors for PS4 but ignoring the ones for the Switch(Which is selling very well). At least balance it out geesh lol. And then the person you quoted didn't even say anything bad lol.

I personally think this year will be close for the two with the PS4 edging out the Switch. And the holidays for this year are a HUGE toss up! The Switch with Smash, it's second Holiday with deals this time and other hidden announcements. The PS4 with Spider-man, BO4 and another possible $199 PS4 deal will be huge. All in all it will be another great year for us gamers!!!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

I think a better question would be if PS4 will outsell Switch this year, which I don't believe it will.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
I think a better question would be if PS4 will outsell Switch this year, which I don't believe it will.

But why do you feel that way if you don't mind me asking when it has been consistently outselling it all year and shows no signs of that reversing just yet? I mean I am not saying you will be wrong......just wondering why you feel this way.

Me personally I think it will be close by the end of the year with the PS4 taking it.

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
xMetroid said:

Console in its PEAK + incredible deals vs a new console couple of months old facing stock issues and with no deal or even bundles. A console in launch period isnt going to sell 20 million consoles lmao. It did like what almost 17 million vs 14 for the ps4.

Y'all need to realise first year =/= sales for life. Switch faced a drought (which is normal after first months of launch) and nintendo literally didnt announce anything for the future during this period so the hype naturally went down. The console still stayed around 200k a week without big announcements or big games for months. 

Switch is finally getting some support in Japan and sales their will explode with the upcoming games. Switch is also growing fast in Europe, even in the UK it is doing really well compare to a couple of months back and that's without any big titles... DKC did that so imagine when pokemon and smash are coming. Switch still have some places to release in RoW like China and Arena of Valor is entering beta soon if thats any indication of a release there soon.

Not saying ps4 can't win the year, but judging the Switch on its first year (which was one of the best of all time for sale numbers) which clearly had stock issues and no deals/bundle and looking at numbers from the drought period when the second half is packed of game is so dumb.

Ps4 didn't win by that much and had GoW, MHW, SotC etc and is entering a somewhat drought in the next months.

Wasn't GoW the only big gun that the PS4 had though? If you are going to count MHW and SotC like that for PS4 yo can't forget stuff like LABO and Kirby for Switch. And isn't the gap close to 2million right now and growing every week? And isn't the Switch also entering a drought in the next couple months? Also outside of the $199 for that one week last year what incredible deals did the PS4 have? And why would Nintendo of had to make new big announcements? It still had MK8, MO AND Zelda(3 of the best rated and top selling games) along with Splatoon 2 going strong for it and was/is the hottest new system on the market. It is like you are giving out all these factors for PS4 but ignoring the ones for the Switch(Which is selling very well). At least balance it out geesh lol. And then the person you quoted didn't even say anything bad lol.

I personally think this year will be close for the two with the PS4 edging out the Switch. And the holidays for this year are a HUGE toss up! The Switch with Smash, it's second Holiday with deals this time and other hidden announcements. The PS4 with Spider-man, BO4 and another possible $199 PS4 deal will be huge. All in all it will be another great year for us gamers!!!

My point is PS4 sales didn't increase much from GoW was far more hyped for than spiderman. There as been so many call of duty games and the new one is also having backlash once again, i dont see how it will fight against the first HD pokemon game and a new Smash. Kirby isn't a system seller and literally got shit on by critics, Labo is aimed at kids and will most likely pick up in the fall/holiday season or never will. 

Just saying y'all expect it to break big numbers with releases while it got barely any bumps with all the big games (which were more hyped up compare to the ones coming in the rest of the year... except from RDR2 but thats not exclusive). Yes the 200$ pack will probably be big again but this time im pretty sure Nintendo wont put any deals during BF since Switch will out for almost 2 years at that point. Switch also didn't have much big seller in Japan but will have some in the second half so we can expect the sales to grow a lot there.. so will the WW numbers compare to the PS4 that played all its cards in japan and will probably have a severe drop during summertime. Switch has been rising in Europe in the past months, it will probably rise even MORE once they actually put out new games starting with MTA which is doing hella good on amazon everywhere.

Anything can change with E3 and if Nintendo fuck it up big time but they clearly can outsell the PS4 if they play their cards right.

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

Last year Switch had some stock problems, didnt had any deals and Pokemon+Smash Bros are defintly stronger than Mario Odyysey+Xenoblade 2.

Though on the other hand a systems "first christmas" will surely bring a boost to some extent, i.e kids who want a switch when they hear about it, and there parents telling them to wait for it as a Christmas present.

There's too many variables.

I think Switch will outsell PS4 in nov+dec, but by around 1m-1.5m, not quite enough to claw back the gap.

Well first year and first christmas are never peak one, because things I mention it's expected that this Q4 Switch will have stronger sales than it had last year.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

switch hardly had stock problems during the holidays, and it was mario kart,  Mario Odyysey, zelda and splatoon 2 first holiday, and all those games sold a ton during there first holidays, along with pent up demand.

It had in some degree in some markets, for instance in Japan. MK8D, Zelda and Splatoon were released before christmas, only Mario Odyysey and Xenoblade 2 were stronger games in Q4, and offocurse MK8D, Zelda and Splatoon will also sell Switch this holiday season in some degree with huge help and boost in shape of Pokemon and Smash Bros. Switch will easily have stronger calendar Q4 than it had last year.

xMetroid said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

My point is PS4 sales didn't increase much from GoW was far more hyped for than spiderman. There as been so many call of duty games and the new one is also having backlash once again, i dont see how it will fight against the first HD pokemon game and a new Smash. Kirby isn't a system seller and literally got shit on by critics, Labo is aimed at kids and will most likely pick up in the fall/holiday season or never will. 

Just saying y'all expect it to break big numbers with releases while it got barely any bumps with all the big games (which were more hyped up compare to the ones coming in the rest of the year... except from RDR2 but thats not exclusive). Yes the 200$ pack will probably be big again but this time im pretty sure Nintendo wont put any deals during BF since Switch will out for almost 2 years at that point. Switch also didn't have much big seller in Japan but will have some in the second half so we can expect the sales to grow a lot there.. so will the WW numbers compare to the PS4 that played all its cards in japan and will probably have a severe drop during summertime. Switch has been rising in Europe in the past months, it will probably rise even MORE once they actually put out new games starting with MTA which is doing hella good on amazon everywhere.

Anything can change with E3 and if Nintendo fuck it up big time but they clearly can outsell the PS4 if they play their cards right.

But it did get a boost though and it was a steady one. Not a big one as you said but it was boosted for sure. And it seems to be still holding with its effect. And you are right there have been lots of COD games yet they all continue to sell so can't count them out ever lol. And you keep talking about Pokemon as if it has been announced with a set release date for this year. Don't get me wrong I am not talking bad about Pokemon because it is by far my most anticipated Switch game(if done correctly). While Pokemon will DEFINITELY be huge there is no info on if it will even release this year. And the only reason I mentioned Kirby and Labo was because you mentioned MHW and SotC as if they were system sellers lol.

While Spider-man may not be as big as GoW it will still be a BIG game and it is coming out right before the Holidays so it will help sales for sure as well. And it is VERY much anticipated. And wow I completely forgot about RDR2....Sony has marketing rights for that games as well and with a nice bundle that game will sell gangbusters!

And you keep saying people expect the PS4 to break big numbers when it barley got a bump with ALL the BIG games it got which were way more hyped. Outside of GoW what BIG games were there that got MAJOR hype? Because you said all like there were a lot of them. And what do you mean the Switch didn't have big sellers in Japan last year? It had MK8, Mario Od, Zelda, Splatoon 2 AND XBC2 last year lol. That is a VERY impressive line up!

And what do you mean the PS4 played all it's cards in Japan? How did you come to that conclusion? I agree the Switch will grow in Japan with certain game releases though. And will grow WW as well. But the PS4 does not seem to be slowing down. And didn't it just get Detroit as well? So they have been doing pretty good and have momentum going into June with games already. July will be slow for sure, Aug will be decent Madden is the only thing that comes to mind for that month and Madden is NOWHERE near what it used to be. Then Sept you have Spider-man, Oct is BO4 and RDR2 then Nov and Dec are the holiday months so those will have great deals. So outside of July the drought will be small.

And I truly hope MTA does great because I absolutely love the MT games! I won't put a lot of stock into Amazon though because Kirby was supposedly doing very well on Amazon as well. But I agree at E3 anything can change for sure! And I agree the Switch definitely can outsell the PS4 this year. Again I think it will be very close with the PS4 slightly edging the Switch out. But if the Switch is to win the year it needs to pick it up though we are in June now and the PS4 lead is at almost 2million and is steadily growing. Whatever the case I hope Nin, Sony AND MS all have a big E3 this year!

quickrick said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A console peaks early when it doesn't have good third party support.  The Switch will have extremely good third party support.  That is what is going to drive sales for the Switch in 2020 and beyond.

This is none sense, thirdparty support looks weak even from Japanese companies.  

Right now it is weak.  In a couple of years it will be extremely good.

TheBlackNaruto said:

And you keep talking about Pokemon as if it has been announced with a set release date for this year.

And the only reason I mentioned Kirby and Labo was because you mentioned MHW and SotC as if they were system sellers lol.

Dude where have you been all week? Pokemon was shown and coming in Nov.

Also, Monster Hunter is a big system seller in Japan, it caused PS4 to be up like 250k YoY last quarter.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.