By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The lack of arcade racers is an eyesore.

MasterThief said:

but Sony went from making many arcade racers to none. I mean I don't think and never heard that they bombed commercially. they just stopped making them. like we have the upcoming Team Sonic Racing but man thats way late. where is a new wipeout? modnation? motorstorm? jet moto?. and other games that could be made for PS4.

you have 80 million consoles out there. put out a single arcade racer whatever it is for crying outloud. 

I don't think we went one year without an arcade racer last gen and now 5 years and none. 

they have 1, Driveclub

Motorstorm Apocalypse (which was great!!) and Driveclub (which had a very troubled launch) both seem to have flopped commercially, resulting in Sony closing the studio.

Well, driveclub sold 2 million by mid-2015, so I wouldn't call it a commercial flop.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Somebody give me an HD San Francisco Rush pls.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 01 June 2018

AlfredoTurkey said:
I miss the days of good Twisted Metal games. Twisted Metal Black was awesome online and offline.

Why hasn't there been a Twisted Metal like 2 and Black in so long? The new ones just didn't do it for me.

AlfredoTurkey said:
I miss the days of good Twisted Metal games. Twisted Metal Black was awesome online and offline.

Agree with this, I spent countless hours with TM on the PS1 with friends. Same with old Need for Speed and things like Micro Machines and countless rally games. Besides Forza Horizon 3, I haven't really played any good arcade racers in ages. Driveclub was kinda fun but way too limited and narrow.

flashfire926 said:

they have 1, Driveclub

Motorstorm Apocalypse (which was great!!) and Driveclub (which had a very troubled launch) both seem to have flopped commercially, resulting in Sony closing the studio.

Well, driveclub sold 2 million by mid-2015, so I wouldn't call it a commercial flop.

They did sell a decent amount of copies, but I doubt many of those were at full price as DC saw early and deep discounts because of it's server problems (that lasted for a few months as far as I remember ).  I'm pretty sure they didn't manage to recoup dev/marketing costs, otherwise Sony wouldn't have axed the studio like that.

Ka-pi96 said:

Not only was there a 2nd one, there was also a 3rd one.

I see, thanks for the info.

Last edited by Lafiel - on 01 June 2018

Around the Network
MasterThief said:

its been 4 and half years. and I have to say, the lack of kart racers, arcade racers and any sort of non-sim racing game is quite the eyesore for the system atm. 

lacking multiplayer shooters and games in general is fine. third parties cover that. third parties have not covered the arcade racing genre since the generation started. switch has MK and xbox gets horizon and I know microsoft is kind of crap on other parts of exclusives atm but they got forza and its a great arcade racer.

but Sony went from making many arcade racers to none. I mean I don't think and never heard that they bombed commercially. they just stopped making them. like we have the upcoming Team Sonic Racing but man thats way late. where is a new wipeout? modnation? motorstorm? jet moto?. and other games that could be made for PS4.

you have 80 million consoles out there. put out a single arcade racer whatever it is for crying outloud. 

I don't think we went one year without an arcade racer last gen and now 5 years and none. 

I've been thinking the same thing this entire generation. PS4 in particular needs at least one AAA arcade racer this gen. WipeOut Omega Collection is a port of PS3 and Vita games so that does not count as a next gen AAA arcade racer. I was hoping Onrush would be good but graphically it looks like an average PS3 game. Where is Ridge Racer? Full Auto? Motorstorm? A new WipeOut with PS4 level visuals. And this gen is wrapping up in 2 years. I guess this gen will just be known as weak in arcade racers.

flashfire926 said:

they have 1, Driveclub

DC is also not an arcade racer. its a semi sim

Chris Hu said:
Not really there is a fair amount of them and The Crew 2 is being released pretty soon. Also Horizon is more of a simcade racer then arcade racer since you can upgrade and tune all the cars. You can also do that in the Crew but the overall handling of the cars is more arcady then the cars in Horizon plus they way you obtain parts and upgrades is more arcady.

Horizon is arcade. Nothing sim in it.

OP There are tons of arcade racers on the system. NFS: Rivals, NFS, NFS: Payback, Driveclub, Ride, Ride 2, The Crew, Flatout 4, MXGP, Nascar. You only have to look at it.

GOWTLOZ said:
Chris Hu said:
Not really there is a fair amount of them and The Crew 2 is being released pretty soon. Also Horizon is more of a simcade racer then arcade racer since you can upgrade and tune all the cars. You can also do that in the Crew but the overall handling of the cars is more arcady then the cars in Horizon plus they way you obtain parts and upgrades is more arcady.

Horizon is arcade. Nothing sim in it.

OP There are tons of arcade racers on the system. NFS: Rivals, NFS, NFS: Payback, Driveclub, Ride, Ride 2, The Crew, Flatout 4, MXGP, Nascar. You only have to look at it.

and none of them are great games.  half of these are semi-simulators 

AlfredoTurkey said:

We can only hope that Twisted Metal is one of the IP's Sony is revisiting with this first party restructure. Twisted Metal with a full budget and destructable environments on PS5, imagine that. A shame Sony only really sees the value in their third person cinematic games.