By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does microsoft afford to release the Xbox after the PS5?

shikamaru317 said:
Masked_Muchaco said:

PS4 was both cheaper and more powerful than XB1, MS may have eliminated the price difference by removing the Kinect, but PS4 was still offering more power at the same price.

At first yes, but XB1 has been up to $50 cheaper than PS4 at multiple points throughout the generation and was still losing even when it was cheaper. 

By the time XB1 started to get cheaper, PS4 was already dominating the market, the damage was already done.

Also, you're wrong about the cheaper consoles usually selling better. Neither NES or SNES were cheaper than Sega's consoles, but they still dominated. N64 and GCN were actually $100 cheaper than PS1 and PS2 respectively, and they still got completely crushed. And what made the Wii "win" last gen was the motion controls, not just the price. So yes, price is indeed important, but it isn't the only thing that determines the sucess of a console.

Last edited by Masked_Muchaco - on 28 May 2018

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure Microsoft is gonna rush to the next gen. They aren't doing it this year, but i wouldn't be surprised if they launched fall 2019.

The X1 sales have tanked, the X didn't help and i don't see them taking it down as the switch overtakes them.

Unless they leave the hardware business, wich honestly would be a good idea for them. It is a doomed business for them. They will never get the east and they are severely impaired in europe. Playing this game with only one market to rely and even there seeing severe competition from Sony and Nintendo, i honestly don't get what they are trying to achieve.
Even with their sucessful 360 they only managed to split the market.

Ofc, if they want to put the effort in, it could be done. But they had that effort going into the 360 fist years and they rested on those laurels and proceeded to stop giving a care. So, they will have to start over, with lots of investment in development studios and it will take time. Imo, it's just not worth it for them. But, i do wish they tried again. With that said, it's possible that both them and Sony play a waiting game for the new technology in processors, wich i think will only be coming in 2020/2021. But, the longer they take the more they will hurt.

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The arguments following that statement were my evidence. I'm not speaking for them, just predicting what they'll do in the future.

Predicting isn't evidence. Predicting is an opinion.

Cerebralbore101 said:

and how is a $500 console in 2020 supposed to take advantage of it, when a $500 console in 2020 won't even be able to run current gen games at 4k 60 FPS?

Considering a hypothetical console from 2020 isn't on the market yet, nor is the hardware they are likely to leverage inside said consoles on the market yet for the PC... That is another baseless assertion without evidence.

Cerebralbore101 said:

What are these "next gen capabilities" you speak of

There is a very very very big emphasis towards leveraging ray tracing to a higher degree, we have seen such movement from Microsoft with Direct X and nVidia RTX.
I highly suggest you start paying attention to what is happening in the PC space.

I didn't say that my prediction was evidence of anything. I gave arguments as evidence. 

It's not baseless it's an inductive argument that assumes that the rate of tech improvement will stay the same as it did for the last 14 years. The opposite statement is to assume that we will suddenly get a quantum leap in technology over the next two years. 

I'll look into Ray Tracing in a few days. 

HollyGamer said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Those of you who think that Sony will destroy them again need to look at your history. Look at the generation's starting from NES until now. How many times has the same company dominated twice? Just once. That's it. In all of gaming history, only one time has the same company dominated two times in a row in home consoles.

Woah , this is need a new thread. I have not heard of such nonsense in how consoles success worked LMAO. You beat Pachter in creating new theory XD XD

It's weird to ME for people to ignore forty years of consumer behavior. To me, that's illogical beyond comprehension. 

melbye said:
When MS said that traditional generational shifts were done i believe them. That's why i think there will be a new XBOX One branded console either before or the same time PS5 releases cause they know they can't afford being left behind. I actually don't think this is a good idea cause it will just create confusion

They stopped talking about "the end of generations" a while ago (I'm thinking its been over a year since I last heard that from MS).  So, I'm starting to doubt that they're still thinking that way.  I'd really like to know though.  If they are still planning to make everything backward and forward compatible, I'd probably pick an XBX.  But, if there will be a new generation in 2-3 years, I'll pass.  I have a PS4 Pro, and I just can't justify a mid-gen upgrade of the Xbone.   

Around the Network

I think the next XBox won't be a traditional console. I'm pretty certain that Microsoft wants to combine their windows store with the Xbox ecosystem. It would be only logical for them to make an Xbox that is basically a PC with some kind of basic Windows and access to the windows store. If they can get a few millions of players on board that way, that would help Microsoft in the battle against steam on the PC front.

I wouldn't be surprised if there basically won't be Xbox games in the future. Instead, it will be just Windows games and Microsoft will probably launch a line of cheap hardware with the Xbox brand capable of running games for Windows 10. I mean I could be wrong. But it would make a lot of sense.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

areason said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

you can buy both... LOL   put that consumer tribalism down for a moment.

Both? You don't shit out money. 

no i just work hard and find side work on my off time.

Nem said:
I'm pretty sure Microsoft is gonna rush to the next gen. They aren't doing it this year, but i wouldn't be surprised if they launched fall 2019.

The X1 sales have tanked, the X didn't help and i don't see them taking it down as the switch overtakes them.

Unless they leave the hardware business, wich honestly would be a good idea for them. It is a doomed business for them. They will never get the east and they are severely impaired in europe. Playing this game with only one market to rely and even there seeing severe competition from Sony and Nintendo, i honestly don't get what they are trying to achieve.
Even with their sucessful 360 they only managed to split the market.

Ofc, if they want to put the effort in, it could be done. But they had that effort going into the 360 fist years and they rested on those laurels and proceeded to stop giving a care. So, they will have to start over, with lots of investment in development studios and it will take time. Imo, it's just not worth it for them. But, i do wish they tried again. With that said, it's possible that both them and Sony play a waiting game for the new technology in processors, wich i think will only be coming in 2020/2021. But, the longer they take the more they will hurt.

They have to wait minimum 3 years after X relaese. So don't expect new Xbox before late 2020.

I think next Xbox will sell well. GamePass and backward compatibility (everything in 4K) will be a good arguments when the next generation starts. Current Xbox One exclusives will become next Xbox exclusives (with better graphics).

AlfredoTurkey said:
HollyGamer said:

Woah , this is need a new thread. I have not heard of such nonsense in how consoles success worked LMAO. You beat Pachter in creating new theory XD XD

It's weird to ME for people to ignore forty years of consumer behavior. To me, that's illogical beyond comprehen

Which consumer? define please? 

LiquorandGunFun said:
areason said:

Both? You don't shit out money. 

no i just work hard and find side work on my off time.

Money is not the problem, spare time , dedication on games and perfectibility is still exist