By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does microsoft afford to release the Xbox after the PS5?

Considering the launch X1X I think it will be hard for MS to come before PS5 without making some damage to the brand.But they waiting to much after PS5 could make they lose timing and enter to late. They will probably launch close.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

It will launch head to head. Those of you who think that Sony will destroy them again need to look at your history. Look at the generation's starting from NES until now. How many times has the same company dominated twice? Just once. That's it. In all of gaming history, only one time has the same company dominated two times in a row in home consoles.

Things change. What happened in the eight generation is not automatically going to carry over. It COULD but the odds are against it. I fully expect Microsoft to take Sony on next generation with this in mind and not back down.

And how many times have MS won against PS??? 0 in 4... yes, no way in hell it could be 0 in 5 right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

i think they will release the next generation around the same time period, both can't afford to let the start the oppenent their new system earlier...

MS clearly as a company is moving into being a primarily cloud-services company. Based on comments from MS I have seen, I believe they see the long-term future of gaming as primarily online streaming-based, not traditional console-based.

So I expect MS is much more concerned about “winning” the long-term streaming video game market, than they are concerned about “winning” the next traditional console generation. They of course would love to win both, but I think they are more concerned about the former.

In fact, I could imagine the next console generation being the last major console generation of its kind. Sony is definitely better positioned to win the next console generation, but with Azure, MS is better positioned to win the video game streaming market.

Video game developers have many reasons to prefer a primarily streaming-based future (cuts out retailers, eliminates used game purchases, eliminates console hard drive limitations, etc.).

This is all several years in the future obviously (at the least), but since Xbox is such a small portion of MS, they can afford to think more long-term.

brandon1546 said:
MS clearly as a company is moving into being a primarily cloud-services company. Based on comments from MS I have seen, I believe they see the long-term future of gaming as primarily online streaming-based, not traditional console-based.

So does Sony, that's why PlayStation Now exists, and is still expanding. It's a service that while not very popular or profitable now is being used to build the foundations of their cloud-gaming future, post-ps5.

Around the Network

They need to re think their strategy. I am hoping that by that time, they will notice how important exclusives are.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

PS5 launch probably in late 2020. Next Xbox is harder to predict. I bet on 2021 (most powerful console with Game Pass and full backward compatibility).

Pemalite said: 
Cerebralbore101 said:
Microsoft won't be releasing an XB2. They will claim that XB1X was their next gen console, while slowly retreating from the console market. Why?

Yeah. You don't get to speak for Microsoft without evidence.

False. Clearly you haven't been paying attention to what is happening on the PC are you?

Witcher 3 wasn't built from the ground up to take full advantage of next-gen capabilities.

The arguments following that statement were my evidence. I'm not speaking for them, just predicting what they'll do in the future. 

What are these "next gen capabilities" you speak of, and how is a $500 console in 2020 supposed to take advantage of it, when a $500 console in 2020 won't even be able to run current gen games at 4k 60 FPS? 

They cant, they gotta drop a bombshell this is their oppertunity to get the success back they had last gen. They need to pull out all stops with that I mean appeal to all audiences. Get Rare on a platformer, make a second killer instinct new halo, new gear, new Crackdown whatever it takes. They are really far behind this generation I really hope they recover before playstation officialy unveils a PS5.

shikamaru317 said:

I don't think they will personally, I'm expecting both to release Holiday 2020. Launching later just to get better specs seems like a mistake, it's usually the cheaper console that wins, not the more powerful console. PS4 was the exception to that rule, mainly because MS shot themselves in the foot at the start of the gen. 

I think people underestimate how fucked the Xbox one release was. Most European countries didnt have it for a few months. Getting one was a fucking hassle. Then you had the Kinect bullshit making the console more expensive then the PS4. Dead rising 3 was the big opener with it but hardcore Dead rising fans hated it so its hottest release got a ton of backlash (I personally thought the game was fine not as good as 1 or 2 but fine) It was just a huge mess all around.