By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does microsoft afford to release the Xbox after the PS5?

Microsoft won't be releasing an XB2. They will claim that XB1X was their next gen console, while slowly retreating from the console market. Why?

1. After 4K 30 FPS there's not much you can do as far as graphics go without breaking the bank. Playing Witcher 3 in 4K takes a $1000 PC for 30 FPS. Playing Witcher 3 in 4K at 60 FPS takes well over $3000. A few years won't change this fact enough to make a $500 console that can play games at 4K 60 FPS feasible. Graphics won't surpass Witcher 3 on ultra setting, because that level of detail is too labor intensive for most studios. This is why only CDPR, and Sony have been able to push the envelope this gen. Only they have the money and talent to get over the labor hump.

2. PC gaming is becoming more popular than ever. MS already makes money on Windows, so why would they bother staying in the console market, when they think it will end within another generation or two? MS's intent with Xbox was to defend the PC from the livingroom space. They seem to think they've accomplished that.

3. MS's biggest moneymaker is XBL, not XB1. As long as they can successfully hold onto their XBL customers they are going to do a slow 7 year phase out of XB consoles as a whole, switching over to games as a service.

4. Sony is crushing them this gen, and it's blatantly obvious that MS cannot compete with them.

Around the Network

It won't be here till 2020, so I think the new XBox will come alongside the PS5.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

John2290 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

It will launch head to head. Those of you who think that Sony will destroy them again need to look at your history. Look at the generation's starting from NES until now. How many times has the same company dominated twice? Just once. That's it. In all of gaming history, only one time has the same company dominated two times in a row in home consoles.

Things change. What happened in the eight generation is not automatically going to carry over. It COULD but the odds are against it. I fully expect Microsoft to take Sony on next generation with this in mind and not back down.

And that company was Sony :D. Apart from a slight three to four year slip up they've been dominating since 1995. Pretty sure that's going to continue unless they seriously fuck up again.

Ugh. I guess you'll just have to learn the hard way. 

They should release a year later, because it doesn't matter, since the X and the new console will both be capable of playing the same games.

There's going to be another Xbox?

Around the Network
Player2 said:

There's going to be another Xbox?

you'd think. with all the backwards compat.

they also supposedly investing in hardware development I heard

AlfredoTurkey said:

It will launch head to head. Those of you who think that Sony will destroy them again need to look at your history. Look at the generation's starting from NES until now. How many times has the same company dominated twice? Just once. That's it. In all of gaming history, only one time has the same company dominated two times in a row in home consoles.

Things change. What happened in the eight generation is not automatically going to carry over. It COULD but the odds are against it. I fully expect Microsoft to take Sony on next generation with this in mind and not back down.

Well, that's a funny way to look at it...another way would be that Sony completely dominated 3 out of 4 generations of home consoles.

Guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

Kyuu said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Ugh. I guess you'll just have to learn the hard way. 

Sony will dominate MS again and it will be even more one sided than this generation.

What makes you so sure of this?

Last edited by AlfredoTurkey - on 28 May 2018

I dont see them releasing a next gen console. Thats where i think there strategy is. Just another series to the X, like an X2, which will play everything now and everything beyond and being very affordable.

They will either launch at the same time or Microsoft will release their console first imo.