By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does microsoft afford to release the Xbox after the PS5?

HollyGamer said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Those of you who think that Sony will destroy them again need to look at your history. Look at the generation's starting from NES until now. How many times has the same company dominated twice? Just once. That's it. In all of gaming history, only one time has the same company dominated two times in a row in home consoles.

Woah , this is need a new thread. I have not heard of such nonsense in how consoles success worked LMAO. You beat Pachter in creating new theory XD XD

It's weird to ME for people to ignore forty years of consumer behavior. To me, that's illogical beyond comprehension. 



Around the Network
melbye said:
When MS said that traditional generational shifts were done i believe them. That's why i think there will be a new XBOX One branded console either before or the same time PS5 releases cause they know they can't afford being left behind. I actually don't think this is a good idea cause it will just create confusion

They stopped talking about "the end of generations" a while ago (I'm thinking its been over a year since I last heard that from MS).  So, I'm starting to doubt that they're still thinking that way.  I'd really like to know though.  If they are still planning to make everything backward and forward compatible, I'd probably pick an XBX.  But, if there will be a new generation in 2-3 years, I'll pass.  I have a PS4 Pro, and I just can't justify a mid-gen upgrade of the Xbone.   



I think the next XBox won't be a traditional console. I'm pretty certain that Microsoft wants to combine their windows store with the Xbox ecosystem. It would be only logical for them to make an Xbox that is basically a PC with some kind of basic Windows and access to the windows store. If they can get a few millions of players on board that way, that would help Microsoft in the battle against steam on the PC front.

I wouldn't be surprised if there basically won't be Xbox games in the future. Instead, it will be just Windows games and Microsoft will probably launch a line of cheap hardware with the Xbox brand capable of running games for Windows 10. I mean I could be wrong. But it would make a lot of sense.



Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

areason said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

you can buy both... LOL   put that consumer tribalism down for a moment.

Both? You don't shit out money. 

no i just work hard and find side work on my off time.



 

Nem said:
I'm pretty sure Microsoft is gonna rush to the next gen. They aren't doing it this year, but i wouldn't be surprised if they launched fall 2019.

The X1 sales have tanked, the X didn't help and i don't see them taking it down as the switch overtakes them.

Unless they leave the hardware business, wich honestly would be a good idea for them. It is a doomed business for them. They will never get the east and they are severely impaired in europe. Playing this game with only one market to rely and even there seeing severe competition from Sony and Nintendo, i honestly don't get what they are trying to achieve.
Even with their sucessful 360 they only managed to split the market.

Ofc, if they want to put the effort in, it could be done. But they had that effort going into the 360 fist years and they rested on those laurels and proceeded to stop giving a care. So, they will have to start over, with lots of investment in development studios and it will take time. Imo, it's just not worth it for them. But, i do wish they tried again. With that said, it's possible that both them and Sony play a waiting game for the new technology in processors, wich i think will only be coming in 2020/2021. But, the longer they take the more they will hurt.

They have to wait minimum 3 years after X relaese. So don't expect new Xbox before late 2020.

I think next Xbox will sell well. GamePass and backward compatibility (everything in 4K) will be a good arguments when the next generation starts. Current Xbox One exclusives will become next Xbox exclusives (with better graphics).



Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
HollyGamer said:

Woah , this is need a new thread. I have not heard of such nonsense in how consoles success worked LMAO. You beat Pachter in creating new theory XD XD

It's weird to ME for people to ignore forty years of consumer behavior. To me, that's illogical beyond comprehen

Which consumer? define please? 



LiquorandGunFun said:
areason said:

Both? You don't shit out money. 

no i just work hard and find side work on my off time.

Money is not the problem, spare time , dedication on games and perfectibility is still exist 



AlfredoTurkey said:
HollyGamer said:

Woah , this is need a new thread. I have not heard of such nonsense in how consoles success worked LMAO. You beat Pachter in creating new theory XD XD

It's weird to ME for people to ignore forty years of consumer behavior. To me, that's illogical beyond comprehension. 

It's strange that you ignore the ~25 years of history where Playstation comes out on top. The only time it didn't happen was when Sony royally screwed up and had a console that was not only $200 more expensive, but also was complicated to develop for, so multiplats were inferior for 1-2 years. Even then, they came in at a close 2nd. No other brand has or would survive that. But, here we are, with Playstation, yet again, dominating.

Sony is not going to repeat the mistakes of the PS3 ever again. PS5 will be $399-$449, with as much power as they can pump into the box at that price, and more than likely be B/C with the highly successful PS4. They also have a much stronger 1st party output than MS, and maybe even Nintendo. Next gen, is going to play out just like this one. Only it may be even worse for MS, with them pulling off XB1 numbers, instead of XBO numbers. 



Cerebralbore101 said:

I didn't say that my prediction was evidence of anything. I gave arguments as evidence.

Some of your arguments were predictions.
Either way. Arguments are also not evidence.


Cerebralbore101 said:

It's not baseless it's an inductive argument that assumes that the rate of tech improvement will stay the same as it did for the last 14 years.

Except the evidence we have currently says that the rate of tech improvement is slowing, which is why Intel elongated it's last few nodes, AMD has essentially been rebadging it's GPU's for years, Intel's CPU improvements have been extremely minor.... Have you not been keeping up with the happenings in the semiconductor world?

Cerebralbore101 said:

The opposite statement is to assume that we will suddenly get a quantum leap in technology over the next two years.

False.
 

Cerebralbore101 said:

I'll look into Ray Tracing in a few days.

Please do.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I didn't say that my prediction was evidence of anything. I gave arguments as evidence.

Some of your arguments were predictions.
Either way. Arguments are also not evidence.


Cerebralbore101 said:

It's not baseless it's an inductive argument that assumes that the rate of tech improvement will stay the same as it did for the last 14 years.

Except the evidence we have currently says that the rate of tech improvement is slowing, which is why Intel elongated it's last few nodes, AMD has essentially been rebadging it's GPU's for years, Intel's CPU improvements have been extremely minor.... Have you not been keeping up with the happenings in the semiconductor world?

Cerebralbore101 said:

The opposite statement is to assume that we will suddenly get a quantum leap in technology over the next two years.

False.
 

Cerebralbore101 said:

I'll look into Ray Tracing in a few days.

Please do.

Evidence is that which justifies belief. Either take my arguments as evidence, or take the premises of my arguments as evidence. Either way evidence was given.

The rate of tech improvement slowing, only helps my argument. Whether it stays the same (as I originally assumed) or slows down, the outcome is the same. The goal, of next gen graphics, will not be reached in time, for it to affect next gen consoles. 

I looked into Ray Tracing, but I'm confused. The whole thing looks like it takes a crapton of processing power. It also looks like it only really makes highly reflective things like glass, marble, chrome, look realistic. I seriously doubt the PS5 will be able to run current gen games at 4K 60 FPS, and Ray Tracing looks like it takes even more horsepower than that. Am I wrong? Is Ray Tracing easier to do than 4K with 60 FPS? I'll try to find a demo of a modern PC running a scene with Ray Tracing in the next few days. IMO if a $2,500 PC can't do it, at a framerate of 30 FPS, then PS5 definitely won't be able to do it either.