By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Solo Headed To Become A Flop? Yep, It Flopped.

How Much Will Solo Make WW?

Under $700M 56 60.87%

$700M-$800M 18 19.57%

$801M-$900M 12 13.04%

$901M-$1B 3 3.26%

Over $1B 3 3.26%

Total:92

I'd say people are pretty tired of Star Wars at this point. At least I know I am. I still haven't seen The Last Jedi yet and here we are with yet another movie in the series. They are pumping these things out like a machine gun. It's simply too much.

I mean guess why people go ape-shit crazy when a new GTA gets announced but are bored as fuck when a new Call of Dutyy is announced. Yearly releases aren't healthy for a movie series in general and especially not for Star Wars.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Carl said:
thismeintiel said:

You do realize that Jumanji had a poor opening, right?  It didn't even hit $90M WW, hitting just $85.7M.  Normally, that would have meant a flop for a movie with a $90M budget, as it needed $180M just to break even on the production budget alone (probably $280M-$350M with the ad budget included), and its all down hill from opening week.  You know why it blew up instead of flopping?  Because TLJ blew.  If TLJ was actually good, it would have ate up and spit out Jumanji.  Instead, disgruntled fans and disappointed movie goers needed something else to see.  Jumanji was that film.  Jumanji made more in Jan than TLJ, and not by a little.  At the DBO, it outperformed it by $77.2M.  Hell, Jumanji lasted longer in the theater than TLJ did. But, then again, so did the spinoff, RO.

You can stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and shout at the top of your lungs, but that doesn't change the fact that there was a fan backlash.  It happened.  Accept it.

I don't think anyone is denying that there was a fan backlash from vocal minorites on the internet.

It may be a minority.  But, it is a very large minority.

Shadow1980 said:
Well, according to some "fans" (ahem) The Last Jedi was clearly a flop for not grossing as much as The Force Awakens did, so I guess that would make Solo a mega-flop for doing anything less than TLJ.

Oh, the old fans in quotations.  Lol, that the best you guys got.  Yes, we are fans.  We are not fanboys.  We don't except SW in just any shape or form because some mega-corporation shit out another film we HAVE to enjoy or be labeled as non-fans or bigots.

OdinHades said:

I'd say people are pretty tired of Star Wars at this point. At least I know I am. I still haven't seen The Last Jedi yet and here we are with yet another movie in the series. They are pumping these things out like a machine gun. It's simply too much.

I mean guess why people go ape-shit crazy when a new GTA gets announced but are bored as fuck when a new Call of Dutyy is announced. Yearly releases aren't healthy for a movie series in general and especially not for Star Wars.

People aren't tired of SW.  They're tired of the SW Disney has been churning out.  If people can keep making the Marvel films larger just about every new one, then I doubt they would become tired of SW after just 2 films.  It's the product, not when it is released.

I'd watch it this weekend, but for some weird reason the release in Japan is over a month late.
I might just as well skip it after all and wait for the streaming release.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

thismeintiel said:

I remember someone saying in the TLJ thread that $600M-$620M was just the new norm for big budget films, I guess cause that's all TLJ could muster.  Then, just a few months later BP blows by it and is at ~$698M.  And IW is going to hit ~$650M.

Would you say Black Panther and Infinity War are part of the "norm"?

after TLJ, i do not want anymore star wars. Plus them announcing two more trilogies are in the works after it,no no

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

I'll see it at some point, though probably not at theaters. As a sidenote, I thought we were already past this ridiculous argument about The Last Jedi being a flop. At this point the Star Wars fanbase is probably the last group of people I look at when it comes to opinions on the quality of these films anyway.

Darashiva said:
I'll see it at some point, though probably not at theaters. As a sidenote, I thought we were already past this ridiculous argument about The Last Jedi being a flop. At this point the Star Wars fanbase is probably the last group of people I look at when it comes to opinions on the quality of these films anyway.

Yes mate because when the most hyped up character of the whole movie doesn't have a fight scene, it's just so unique so wonderful! The same thing goes for Snoke, the character that created the reason for existence of the series just dies, no back story, no character development, nothing at all. As for Rey, their was build up regarding her parents, turns out they're nobodies!

What's worse is that it takes all of the building up that TFA did and it just shits it away. 

On Solo - here is a prediction from The-Numbers.com for opening Domestic (US) weekend:

Since Disney bought Star Wars, there have been three films released and they have earned a total of just over $2 billion domestically. Solo: A Star Wars Story is not expected to maintain the average. In fact, it is widely expected to be the worst box office performer in the Disney era. That said, it is tracking for at least a $100 million four-day opening. In fact, it should earn $100 million over three days and could overtake At World’s End for the record three-day and four-day Memorial Day weekend. The reviews are good, but not good enough to predict a record-breaking opening, but I think a debut of $105 million / $130 million seems likely. This is an amazing start, especially when you consider all of the behind-the-scenes troubles this film went through.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

areason said:
Darashiva said:

Yes mate because when the most hyped up character of the whole movie doesn't have a fight scene, it's just so unique so wonderful! The same thing goes for Snoke, the character that created the reason for existence of the series just dies, no back story, no character development, nothing at all. As for Rey, their was build up regarding her parents, turns out they're nobodies!

What's worse is that it takes all of the building up that TFA did and it just shits it away. 

Most hyped up character? You mean Luke? So what if he didn't have a fight scene, well besides the force ghost fight? I don't see how him not having a real fight scene makes a difference to the film. Or are you talking about someone else? 

Also, so what if Rey's parents turned out to be just some people with no special role in the overarching story? Not every character has to have some predestined lineage that makes them yet another "chosen one". Her parents being important people were always just theories fans came up with with no real basis, besides a few red herrings given to them in The Force Awakens.

As far as Snoke is concerned, I don't see why they can't still reveal the characters story in the next film. Regardless, the story in the trilogy has clearly never been about him anyway. He just serves as a catalyst for other people's actions. 

manuel said:
I'd watch it this weekend, but for some weird reason the release in Japan is over a month late.
I might just as well skip it after all and wait for the streaming release.

Hmm.  Looks like they switched China and Japan this time.

Carl said:
thismeintiel said:

I remember someone saying in the TLJ thread that $600M-$620M was just the new norm for big budget films, I guess cause that's all TLJ could muster.  Then, just a few months later BP blows by it and is at ~$698M.  And IW is going to hit ~$650M.

Would you say Black Panther and Infinity War are part of the "norm"?

A SW film isn't exactly the norm, either.  That poster's point was that ~$620M was basically the limit for any big blockbuster film, unless we had another Avatar (i.e. an event film with long legs), because the TLJ underperforming was definitely not because of some fan backlash.  However, that wasn't the case.  As IW and BP proved.  And what JW2 may prove if its really good.

Darashiva said:
areason said:

Most hyped up character? You mean Luke? So what if he didn't have a fight scene, well besides the force ghost fight? I don't see how him not having a real fight scene makes a difference to the film. Or are you talking about someone else? 

Also, so what if Rey's parents turned out to be just some people with no special role in the overarching story? Not every character has to have some predestined lineage that makes them yet another "chosen one". Her parents being important people were always just theories fans came up with with no real basis, besides a few red herrings given to them in The Force Awakens.

As far as Snoke is concerned, I don't see why they can't still reveal the characters story in the next film. Regardless, the story in the trilogy has clearly never been about him anyway. He just serves as a catalyst for other people's actions. 

Luke not fighting is just a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself.  Luke was not Luke.  For one, Luke would not give up.  Just like he didn't give up on his father, the 2nd most evil person in the galaxy to most.  Him just sensing some bad in Kylo, then trying to kill him was pretty weak.  However, it could work as a moment of weakness IF Luke actually acted like himself after.  Instead he becomes a big baby, betraying everything his character was built up to be in the OG trilogy.  His answer to his fuck up is to immediately say, "I fucked up.  Hey, I'm going to go somewhere to die for some unknown reason, you handle my fuck up, sis.  Peace out.  Oh, yea, I hate the Jedi, now, cause I'm the one who fucked up."  Just shitty writing to have Luke be what Rian wanted him to be, not what fans, or even the actor, want him to be.  Of course, it also shits all over TFA, because Luke didn't just go somewhere to be alone to die.  HE MADE A FUCKING MAP TO HIS EXACT LOCATION!!

The reason people were looking for a special lineage is because without that, Rey is a Mary Sue through and through.  A Jedi lineage would still not explain away why she learns everything without training, UNLIKE EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER BEFORE HER, but it would at least help.  Now it's official, she's just a Mary Sue.  And just like the map from TFA, it doesn't help when the previous film, that most people actually enjoyed to some extent, is setting up things for a reveal, only to be shit on by one that a lot hate.  The only reason TLJ even did as well as it did initially was because of the promise of reveals for setups in TFA.

These films do not live in a vacuum.  They are sequels.  You can't have the entire galaxy celebrating at the end of ROTJ, only to have the Empire exactly like it was just 30 years later, with some mystery guy in charge.  What you decribe, "he just serves as a catalyst for other people's actions," has another name.  Lazy/shitty writing.  And to save his story for the 3rd one?  That's not going to happen, just like all the other things people wanted to know about the galaxy politics weren't explained in TLJ.  And even if it did happen, it would just be forced and have no impact at all.