By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo now selling Switch systems without a dock in Japan

The Japanese My Nintendo store is now letting customers purchase a system that only comes with the console, Joy-Con controllers, and Joy-Con wrist straps. It does not include the dock, Joy-Con grip, AC adapter, or HDMI cable.

This new option is priced at 24,980 yen. That’s in comparison to the primary Switch package, priced at 29,980 yen.

Source 1 and Source 2

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

That's good to see. I wonder when this is coming to the rest of the world.

If mass produced and released it could win over a lot of people in that region.

What I find interesting is that this bundle does not come with an AC adapter.

Granted, USB C is a universal format, and some people probably have a cable lying around, but for the people that don't they'll be set back a bit.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I was going to say they should bring with worldwide at a reduced price, say $250 USD, but then I saw it doesn't include a charger, which kinda makes it useless without an additional purchase, and thus a bit of a misfire.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 May 2018

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I was going to say they should bring with worldwide at a reduced price, say $250 USD, but then I saw it doesn't include a charger, which kinda makes it useless without an additional purchase.

An AC adapter is apparently not included.

EDIT: You beat me to it...lol

They should make an official portable bundle (with an AC adapter included) for the rest of the world. Although it makes sense that they are doing this in Japan first (although perhaps they should go beyond their own store and make it an official package). The Switch has thus far not been able to match the momentum of the post-price cut 3DS in Japan, and I think the price is a big factor in that.

Personally speaking, if there was a cheaper portable version of the Switch available at launch without the dock, I would have purchased that version.

Last edited by nemo37 - on 22 May 2018

No A/C adapter? It's 3DS XL all over again, though $250 is a sweet price point.

nemo37 said:
curl-6 said:

I was going to say they should bring with worldwide at a reduced price, say $250 USD, but then I saw it doesn't include a charger, which kinda makes it useless without an additional purchase.

An AC adapter is apparently not included.

EDIT: You beat me to it...lol

PortisheadBiscuit said:
No A/C adapter? It's 3DS XL all over again, though $250 is a sweet price point.

curl-6 said:

I was going to say they should bring with worldwide at a reduced price, say $250 USD, but then I saw it doesn't include a charger, which kinda makes it useless without an additional purchase, and thus a bit of a misfire.

Apparently this is being aimed at people who already own a Switch, so thats their reasoning for not including one.

I wonder if this will be a Wii U gamepad situation, only available on the Nintendo store in Japan.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

They just need a direct adapter and it will officially be a handheld, with just an optional TV dock like Vita/PSTV.

Maybe they saw that the console is not selling as fast as it could, and would do better as a cheaper pure handheld. But it would damage the concept of hybrid and create 2 distinct markets on the console...

But we're not there (yet?) since you still need a dock.