Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games should be made "EXCLUSIVE" for one platform again

Otter said:
Zoombael said:

Better games and more diversity. Yes, you might be satisfied with standard and selection of games, but others are not.

Arguments against exclusivity basically boils down to egocentric cheapskate mentality... adorned with the typical hyperbole.

How would making a game exclusive make it better and more diverse? 

And as for your later point, your lack of self awareness is painful. "Egocentric mentality"? Coming from the person who is advocating for the route which is less consumer friendly and a bigger financial risk for developers.

If you cant even answer to the first half of your initial question yourself. The most prestigious and anticipated games of this generation are exclusives and it doesnt come to your mind that their above average quality has anything to do with their exclusive status.

You re just confirming my view on the games community. A place inhabited by to much irrational to discuss rationally.

Then let me ask, how are platform holders are supposed to compete against one another...

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

Then console gamers will miss out on Elder Scrolls, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Quake, Unreal, PUBG, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, The Sims, Minecraft... List goes on as they were all PC Exclusive at one point.

It's a good thing they are multiplatform, it exposes more gamers to amazing games... And ultimately that is what our "hobby" is about, playing fun games.

Exclusives only benefit the platform holder, not the consumer.

With that in mind... Because I am primarily a PC gamer who also owns consoles... And because something like the Xbox One X has zero exclusives... I have no reason to use it, so it's a double edged sword. - But on the bright side, at-least I get to play my favorite games on my preferred platform.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Agreed. It was better when each console had their own personality.

Ka-pi96 said:
No, just no. Don't try and ruin gaming please.

If it "ruins" gaming, than how did the NES and PS2 exist and kick so much ass? Having exclusives makes gaming more exciting and interesting. It gives each platform an identity and makes each one worth owning. 

Pemalite said:

Then console gamers will miss out on Elder Scrolls, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Quake, Unreal, PUBG, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, The Sims, Minecraft... List goes on as they were all PC Exclusive at one point.

Since most of those are first person and the other two don't interest me... I could live with that.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Pemalite said:

Since most of those are first person and the other two don't interest me... I could live with that.

JRPG's are pretty much the main genre that never had much PC exclusivity.

But it also means games like Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Command and Conquer, Diablo, StarCraft, The Witcher, Civilization, Warhammer, Age of Empires, Supreme Commander and so on would have also never made it to console.

I could probably keep listing games... But you get my point. PC isn't just FPS.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Zoombael said:
Otter said:

How would making a game exclusive make it better and more diverse? 

And as for your later point, your lack of self awareness is painful. "Egocentric mentality"? Coming from the person who is advocating for the route which is less consumer friendly and a bigger financial risk for developers.

If you cant even answer to the first half of your initial question yourself. The most prestigious and anticipated games of this generation are exclusives and it doesnt come to your mind that their above average quality has anything to do with their exclusive status.

You re just confirming my view on the games community. A place inhabited by to much irrational to discuss rationally.

Then let me ask, how are platform holders are supposed to compete against one another...

I'm really choking at the irony of every point you try and make. Critical thinking and comprehension is key, use it to avoid falling into the same category of irrational person you're looking down on. Instead of answering a question with another question, try and extrapolate over the correlation you made. Exclusives aren't magically better than non exclusive games, if so why? The benefits afforded to being exclusive are easier optimisation and somewhat reduced development times, but this really doesn't shape the diversity of a game, or make it vastly different experience. What you're correlating in terms of the most anticipated games and exclusives is specific to 1st party exclusives, a distinction which obviously needs to be made. 

First party exclusives benefit from the ambitions of the platform holders/publishers (sony/microsoft/nintendo) not operating primarily as a software business. Their concern is producing system selling software, shifting hardware in the process and catering to a wide userbase. As a result developers generally get given more freedom and strive for the highest quality, but this of course doesn't garauntee quality. However what the OP is talking about is all games (3rd party) being made for one platform in mind. Which is why I posed, what is to gain? EA  publishing and developing  Battlefront II for the PS4 wouldn't have made it any less of a cash grab. FFXIII being made exclusively for PS3 wouldn't have made it any less linear. Titanfall 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider managed to surpass their (timed) exclusive predecessors on metacritic. Meanwhile being exclusive didn't save The Order/Rise, or magically make Knack next the Mario. 

By all means, maybe you have a point that I've missed but you're going to have to make it. And more than a loose correlation this time.

And for those making loose correlations with the quality of 90s games and the games of today (something entirely up for debate), just ponder over the gaming climate. Think of how the cost of production has jumped, think of how much harder it is to profit from a game and look at how digital has opened up new opportunities revenue. Look at how online gaming has shaped the landscape and tastes. These are the things that have impacted game design and execution, not being multiplatform.

FFXV didn't take 10years to deliver to us because SE were porting it to Xbox One...

Well, there is one benefit that actually helps all gamers. Take Rise of the Tomb Raider. Square publicly had sworn off the franchise after the reboot before it didn’t meet inititial financial expectations. MS stepped in and helped fund Rise in lieu of marketing and timed exclusivity. Eventually the game launched on the ps4 opening the audience. So, would it be better had the game not been made at all?

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ka-pi96 said:
No, just no. Don't try and ruin gaming please.

If it "ruins" gaming, than how did the NES and PS2 exist and kick so much ass? Having exclusives makes gaming more exciting and interesting. It gives each platform an identity and makes each one worth owning. 

A bit contradictory to use NES/PS2 as examples and then say exclusives "makes each one worth owning" no? That's easily two generations where there was only 1 console worth owning.

And I dunno about NES (before my time and I wouldn't play anthing that dated now either) but the PS2 was good because of the games on it. If all those games had released on Xbox/Gamecube & PC as well the gen would have been better, not worse. Them being exclusive didn't make them good, it just meant people had no choice about what hardware to use in order to play those games. Games are always better if you're playing them on hardware you like instead of hardware you think is a piece of shit.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702