By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yes, single-player games are alive and well. So can we stop saying that now?

hentai_11 said:

The right term is "EA is wrong". "EA was wrong" would imply that EA changed their stance and learned something ...

Also it can't be mentioned often enogh that "EA is wrong". If you do a google search for "EA is wrong" you should get at least 1 million hits. Right now you only get 181.000. So we have to post it a few more times.

Maybe people have really upped their game in the hour since you posted this, but I get 2.25 million hits when I google "EA is wrong" (without quotes in the search bar).

Around the Network

The simple truth of the matter is, if you make a really high quality product, people will buy it. Shocking, I know. Now, obviously certain things are always going to be more popular than others for various reasons, so not everything has the same ceiling of success. That doesn't even remotely equate to the things with a lower ceiling being "dead" though, and anyone who would look at it as such is simply giving up market space for no good reason.

As it pertains directly to EA, their attitude ultimately stems from being very short minded. Their whole "single player is dead" mantra is a direct result of their microtransaction heavy business model, which is much easier to incorporate into multiplayer games, and is a very low effort way to generate a high income. They know very well that single player games can still be highly successful. They just don't consider making them to be worth the hassle. Can't very well come out and say that though. Better to drive a narrative.

I agree, it's the same with the "Nintendo is Doomed" BS.

I've seen people saying "Single Player Games are Dead" many times, and I've yet to see someone actually say it and mean it. Just as with "Nintendo is doomed" where 99% of the time the people saying it are Nintendo Fans.

Yeah it is starting ot get annoying.

Single player games have never even been in danger of dying. Every single year there are countless examples of great single player games selling extremely well. The reason this narrative was born some years back was that publishers began to notice how certain big online multiplayer games were making massive amounts of money because players kept playing them for extended periods of time.

This directly led to a lot of people within those publishers trying to push the idea that most people no longer wanted those single player experiences because the publishers noticed that they could potentially make more money from multiplayer only games. It's never been true, and judging by some of the biggest games of the last few years, it's not going to be true anytime soon either.

Around the Network

But.. Fortnite is very popular...

EA will always come up with whatever BS excuse they need to justify any of their questionable actions. most companies will. EA just doesn’t like making games that don’t get you to spend money after the initial purchase.

I never said that OP. :)

Lets not forget it was EA who said:
"Remakes happen because they run out of ideas".

Now we have Burnout remake out with hopefully more popular games like ME on the way.

Plus OP, you know the never consoles tribalists, will have consoles are dead threads just before the launch of the next gen.

Teeqoz said:
hentai_11 said:

The right term is "EA is wrong". "EA was wrong" would imply that EA changed their stance and learned something ...

Also it can't be mentioned often enogh that "EA is wrong". If you do a google search for "EA is wrong" you should get at least 1 million hits. Right now you only get 181.000. So we have to post it a few more times.

Maybe people have really upped their game in the hour since you posted this, but I get 2.25 million hits when I google "EA is wrong" (without quotes in the search bar).

Of course I want a million hits for the variant with quotation marks. Without quotation marks I even get 3.23 million hits. Seems EA is much more wrong on my version of the internet, than on yours.

Single player games are alive and well!