By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yes, single-player games are alive and well. So can we stop saying that now?

I know how good it feels to prove EA wrong, but this is getting VERY old. God of War proved EA wrong, great. So did Super Mario Odyssey, and Persona 5, and Breath of the Wild, and Horizon Zero Dawn, and Crash N. Sane Trilogy, and AC Origins, and Resident Evil 7 etc.

Everyone knows that single-player games are still alive and well, even Blake Jorgensen knew that when he said that sp games aren't as popular anymore. He only said that because they get more money by making multi-player games.

It's great that single-player games are still going strong, but we don't need to reaffirm that everytime a successful single-player game releases. It's really annoying to go read a comment section on an article stating that "God of War sold 3.1M copies on its first 3 days" and only see people saying that "EA was wrong". C'mon, guys, we can be more creative than that. Let's actually discuss the success of the game instead of just repeating the same phrase over and over again.

B O I

Around the Network

Fuck you EA!! Yeah suck it!!

Oh waiiit...this ain't the purpose of the thread.

I don't think a high caliber single player (or any high caliber type game) is dead but the reason why a lot of companies are striving for multiplayer is that it makes a lot of money and has more longevity. Overwatch is the perfect example. All they have to do is keep updating the game and they will make a lot of money and they don't have to take any risks. Whereas the new God of war took a HUGE risk and it paid off. However, if it were to flop it could've killed Santa Monica. 

I disagree. It should be mentioned every time a single player game does well. Normies/investors are more likely to take the word of a big publisher over some old forum posts. If most of the gaming world keeps refuting that idiotic claim by showcasing a well selling single player game then normies won't likely believe EA. If you don't want to read those comments then don't read 'em.

Aeolus451 said:
I disagree. It should be mentioned every time a single player game does well. Normies/investors are more likely to take the word of a big publisher over some old forum posts. If most of the gaming world keeps refuting that idiotic claim by showcasing a well selling single player game then normies won't likely believe EA. If you don't want to read those comments then don't read 'em.

If you want to speak to the "normies" (oh god I hate that word), commenting on a forum will do nothing to help that. If someone is interested enough in games to go to a forum, that person knows that single-player games are well enough.

B O I

Around the Network

The day we stop saying it, is the day we let EA get away with their bullshit.

I didn't think they were dead, people just took what EA said too far and applied it to the entire industry. Nintendo by itself is nearly formed on single player experiences (as well as multiplayer) so the notion was always kinda dumb imo. EA is gonna EA, you can't do anything about it. The more you talk about them, for some reason, the richer they get and the more they won't listen to you. I don't know how that's possible but, EA is somehow doing it.

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Aeolus451 said:

If you want to speak to the "normies" (oh god I hate that word), commenting on a forum will do nothing to help that. If someone is interested enough in games to go to a forum, that person knows that single-player games are well enough.

Gamers aren't just saying it on forums and "normies" will likely check out gaming forums for info when they get into gaming. Also, companies probably check social media and forums for trends. It's best not to just drop the phrase. I mainly play single player games and  I want devs to keep making them. EA is jeopardizing that by spreading fud. 

bananaking21 said:
Fuck you EA!! Yeah suck it!!

Oh waiiit...this ain't the purpose of the thread.

It isn't, but always welcome

Aeolus451 said:

Normies will believe anything they're told by a company.  Look how awful Apple's products, notably iPhone's, stigma is.  Yet people still buy them in millions because Apple told them to.  

The sad part is I agree with you.  But we gotta be realistic.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"