By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War will have a positive effect on hack and slash game sales

?

Yes 15 38.46%

No 24 61.54%

Total:39
IkePoR said:
Heavenly_King said:

The term is reserved to the game with the best rating and the best sales; so yeah it is God of War.

Who told you that?

I'd like to know this myself, since it sounds obnoxiously made up. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
Aeolus451 said:

Can't address my point? I'll take that as you backing down.

Ooo you made me back down.  Such a strong alpha male.  <3

I addressed your point without addressing you.  Read some posts without ctrl+F "Aeolus" and you can find it.

No. You didn't address my point in your posts to me. I'm not doing your work for ya.

Heavenly_King said:
Chazore said:
The "king of hack n' slash games has finally returned"?.

I don't really see it as being the so called king of that genre, and the latest iteration isn't as hack n' slash as it used to be. Certainly not on the same level as Bayonetta.

I don't see this game "influencing" future hack n' slash games.

The term is reserved to the game with the best rating and the best sales; so yeah it is God of War.

Very well said. Listening to the Bear McCreary epic score for this game as i read your comment and it fitted perfectly haha. 

I used to like hack n slash games. But, I haven't really been into them for a decade or more. I didn't intend to buy GoW, but did so after hearing so much positive stuff. I can appreciate the game, but it really hasn't pulled me in. I don't regret the purchase, as I like experiencing this kind of big game at the same time as everyone else. But, it has not reignited my interest in the genre.

pitzy272 said:

I get the feeling you haven’t played the new GoW, let alone finished it. I’ve seen you make a couple odd comments now against this game, some obvious, some a bit more stealthy. One of them u said GoW will likely do lifetime sales of 7-8 mil bc of its sales of 3.1 mil in 3 days. And if you know anything about sales at all, you would know that is a ridiculous statement. GoW is more likely to sell 15 mil than it is to sell 7-8 mil.

I’d like to hear your explanation as to how the camera is “janky.”

See my post above.  TLDR: one doesn't have to play every second of a game to know it's not for them.  

If we're talking about my comments on the sales, I based my statement on past series sales.  What are you basing yours on?  Because games can sell loads in their first and even second week, then fall off a cliff.  Monster Hunter World in the US and Dragon Quest XI in Japan if you need references.

The camera is janky upon hit animations.  First it freezes upon impact, then rocks and jitters to give off a sense of intensity.  Because the camera is so close, it gives off almost a motion sickness effect.

Japan is not the rest of the world. Games often drop off very quickly, esp American games, unless they have good Japanese appeal/word of mouth. As for MHW, a source for this? I recall continuing to hear impressive sales updates after release.

In general, games that score well, have good gamer response, and have good word of mouth end up having good legs. GoW has all of these things to a high degree. It also was a surprise how good it ended up, and that’s another ingredient for good legs, as people end up getting the later when they hear/see how good it is. Oh, and GoW already has actual hard evidence of awesome legs in the UK and Japan (see below). 

Comparing the new GoW to the prior GoW games for sales is nonsensical. 1. This is on the ps4 where, for various reasons, software consistently sells very well—MUCH better than on the ps3 (E.G. Uncharted 4:  It will end up around 13mil LT sales; highest selling Uncharted game on ps3 is around 7-8mil). 2. This new GoW is MASSIVELY different from the prior games:  It modernized its gameplay; got rid of the tasteless, excessive violence (as well as nudity); and delivered a high quality narrative with great characters (including Kratos—finally) and acting. 

Also, for comparison and to further exemplify why your prediction of 7-8mil LT sales for GoW is asinine:

Uncharted 4:  2.7 mil in 1 wk, 8.7 in 8mo (Jan 2017), likely around 10-11 mil now. Likely 12-14 mil lifetime. 

HZD:  2.6 mil in 2 wk, 7.6 mil in 1 year. Likely 11 mil lifetime.

GoW:  3.1 mil in 3 days. Additionally, the legs are looking amazing so far in UK and Japan:  35% second week drop in each country. For UK, 35% drop for GoW compares to 78% drop for U4 and 60% drop for HZD.

IkePoR said:
pitzy272 said:

Haha nvm, you confirmed what everyone could already tell. 99.9% of people who have PLAYED this game have loved it, but you watch some YouTube videos and think you have the game figured out. It’s okay to not like a game, but it’s obvious you have an agenda of some sort based on some of ur posts about GoW. That’s your prerogative, but just know people notice. 

If games can't be decided on based on reviews and video footage of gameplay, then what's the point of them?  They are there to let you know if you will like the game, correct?  Even if what the review says sounds glowing, if I see the actual footage and think it looks pants, I'm no longer deciding based on my own opinion, but what the reviewer is telling me.  Cause "you still gotta play it before you can say a negative thing."

By your logic, all gamers should be bankrupt.  Because they must play every game, whether they like how it looks or not, just because of hype culture.

What are you going on about? That’s a ridiculous interpretation of what I said. I specifically said, “it’s okay to not like a game.” The difference is that you didn’t say something like “eh, idt this game is for me.” You bashed it. THAT’S what people take issue with. If you’re gonna badmouth a game you haven’t played, you’re gonna irritate people and lessen your credibility (and reputation). 

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 06 May 2018

Around the Network
John2290 said:

Thank fuck we don't have to remember lists of combos to get the meat of the game to show, most people who play 7th gen H&S end up button mashing or sticking to basic combo's anyway, Only elitests have a problem here and if elitists of the genres got to decide the course of those genres they'd never evolve and stay perfectly stagnant. 

Boy this subject always brings out the best in people.

I think it's more than a little presumptuous to declare that the only people who try to learn the mechanics of an action game beyond basic combos/button mashing are "elitists." The depth and complexity of action titles are what gives them replayability; makes them more than just one off experiences that you can revisit almost endlessly as you try to improve to the point where you can tackle the harder difficulties. I'll grant that titles shouldn't require players to remember long combo strings to beat the game on normal (although I can't think of any that do off the top of my head), but there's no reason to remove the majority of a game's complexity outright just to cater to people who don't plan on playing through multiple times and learning the game's mechanics. A game can have a significant amount of depth while simultaneously still being accessible enough for players going through on a first go around who just want to use basic combos/button mash; Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 are both excellent examples of this.

Kerotan said:
Heavenly_King said:

Very well said. Listening to the Bear McCreary epic score for this game as i read your comment and it fitted perfectly haha. 

Not really "very well said", considering it screams bullshit and also being made up entirely from one's pov, rather than a written and defined one. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

GoW is an action RPG now. Feels more like Witcher, Dark Souls, Ryse, etc.

A hack n' slash is more like all the previous GoW games, DMC, Bayonetta and Dante's Interno. Essentially button mashing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
GoW is an action RPG now. Feels more like Witcher, Dark Souls, Ryse, etc.

A hack n' slash is more like all the previous GoW games, DMC, Bayonetta and Dante's Interno. Essentially button mashing.

It's action rpg and hack and slash. Best of both worlds. Beautifully combined. 

What ISN'T evolving to X + RPG elements?