By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War will have a positive effect on hack and slash game sales

?

Yes 15 38.46%

No 24 61.54%

Total:39
KLAMarine said:
Aeolus451 said:

You could have figured it out what Puggsly described by thinking it out some instead of jumping to some extreme. What I wrote was reasonable and easy to understand.

Describe what you mean when you say "button mashing".

What does the term mean and what is generally used to descibe? There's your answer.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think its more like how much button mashing are you doing. In a traditional hack and slash game you're mashing the attack buttons like an arcade game even if there is some strategy in the combat. Such as blocking, evade, deflect, large combos, etc.

The new God of War is more strategic, your actions are more deliberate. Button mashing in that game won't get you very far as it would in previous GoW games.

Not sure why this is an discussion, its almost like people want to argue the new GoW hasn't changed the formula significantly. Its a very different game now.

I see... When I read "button mashing", I think back to fighting games wherein button mashing refers to mindlessly pressing buttons.

Well depends on what fighting games you're referring to.

Arcade beat em' ups can be hack and slash. You're generally fighting waves of enemies and mashing the attack buttons. While console beat em' ups could be a little more strategic in comparison.

I always considered Tekken and Soul Calibur button mash fighters. They're arguably complex fighters, but button mashing combos is effective. Meanwhile traditional arcade fighting games like Capcom games, SNK games, Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat are more complex. Generally less accessible to casuals.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Idk, God of War is great but I don't know how much of a hack n slash I really consider it. It would be a travesty if the true HnS genre disappears completely in favor of basically action RPG combat. GoW's combat was appropriate for the kind of game it is, and it works amazingly. But I'd be pissed if say Bayonetta 3 for example goes in GoW's direction and abandons its true hack n slash roots. We still need some games like that.

God of War is great but as a hack and slash it is kinda outmatched by DmC, Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta, those games have far better level designs, more fun gameplay and it's a lot more colorful and flashy when you fight in those games. The set pieces are absurd and over the top, something which God of War is not.

God of War has the better story, visuals and cinematics but as a hack and slash game it isn't really the king. Also God of War doesn't feel too much like a hack and slash game anymore, you dodge a lot more, take care of spacing and parries, it's a lot more time based. Moreover, the boss fights were really lacking in the game, the Stranger Boss fight was definitely the best but we got nothing after that.

As for any effect that God of War will have... I think it will push devs to go for more cinematic games and better visuals. But the hack and slash genre is and will be owned by Bayonetta and DmC.

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

It's action rpg and hack and slash. Best of both worlds. Beautifully combined. 

No, its not hack and slash anymore. It not fast paced button masher like the other games I mentioned.

Hack and slash is a subgenre and the new God of War is not in it.

It most definitely is. When I'd upgraded my character enough I could just mash buttons in many situations. That trial where you had to kill 100 enemies I was basically just hammering the 1 button for 10mins. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, its not hack and slash anymore. It not fast paced button masher like the other games I mentioned.

Hack and slash is a subgenre and the new God of War is not in it.

It most definitely is. When I'd upgraded my character enough I could just mash buttons in many situations. That trial where you had to kill 100 enemies I was basically just hammering the 1 button for 10mins. 

Have you tried that on any Valkyrie?

Aeolus451 said:
Kerotan said:

Have you tried that on any Valkyrie?

No and that's why I never said it was exclusively hack and slash but also an ARPG aswell. 

Aeolus451 said:
KLAMarine said:

Describe what you mean when you say "button mashing".

What does the term mean and what is generally used to descibe? There's your answer.

This is the definition I'm familiar with: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtonMashing

Mr Puggsly said:
KLAMarine said:

I see... When I read "button mashing", I think back to fighting games wherein button mashing refers to mindlessly pressing buttons.

Well depends on what fighting games you're referring to.

Arcade beat em' ups can be hack and slash. You're generally fighting waves of enemies and mashing the attack buttons. While console beat em' ups could be a little more strategic in comparison.

I always considered Tekken and Soul Calibur button mash fighters. They're arguably complex fighters, but button mashing combos is effective. Meanwhile traditional arcade fighting games like Capcom games, SNK games, Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat are more complex. Generally less accessible to casuals.

I was thinking just in general: button mashing means mindless and frantic button pressing whether playing Tekken or Mortal Kombat. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtonMashing

I honestly hope GoW doesn't have much of an inpact on the genre. The last thing I want to see is games like Bayonetta or DMC scale back their combat for the sake of rpg elements and cinematic gameplay

Chazore said:
The "king of hack n' slash games has finally returned"?.

I don't really see it as being the so called king of that genre, and the latest iteration isn't as hack n' slash as it used to be. Certainly not on the same level as Bayonetta.

I don't see this game "influencing" future hack n' slash games.

God of War is the king in sales and reception and was so since 2005.

Carl said:
I wouldn't really call it a simple hack and slash game anymore, it's more a cross between your classic hack and slash and Souls-like gameplay.

That said, the king of hack and slash is actually a woman - Bayonetta.

Kratos is the king going by critical and commercial success. Any of your personal measure is subjective.

John2290 said:
Yes, I almost went and bought the full DMC series on the PSN. Glad I didn't as only 4 would probably stand up. I'm sure many will make that mistake though and I'm sure it's already impacted and probably still impacting the gow3 remaster sales.
It's a pity people don't see the greatness in DMC: devil may cry just because Dante got a buzz cut, that game is fantastic and such a tough but fair and fun platinum with some of the best level and boss design in gaming.

Devil May Cry 3 holds up amazingly well.

There is a misconception that hack and slash games don't have depth. The God of War and Bayonetta games and Devil May Cry 3, 4 and DMC: Devil May Cry have the deepest gameplay systems in a game.