By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War will have a positive effect on hack and slash game sales

?

Yes 15 38.46%

No 24 61.54%

Total:39
GOWTLOZ said:

God of War is the king in sales and reception and was so since 2005.

Except that doesn't explain the so called "rule".

Bayonetta and dmc have also been popular for years as well.

You're boasting sales, but the other games are going their own ways via visual and mechanic design. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
GOWTLOZ said:

God of War is the king in sales and reception and was so since 2005.

You're boasting sales, but the other games are going their own ways via visual and mechanic design. 

Bayonetta didn't sell well for Sega to make a sequel. Bayonetta 2 didn't sell 1 million on the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 on the Switch isn't doing that well.

The last Devil May Cry game sold less and Capcom didn't make a sequel. Devil May Cry 4 didn't get a direct sequel. I don't see what makes them popular when the games don't sell well.

Besides God of War has sold more than any other hack and slash game from its inception as a new IP. God of War 3 is the highest selling hack and slash game. It is why I call it the king that and all the main titles got 92 and above average scores.

God of War is more hack and slash than you would know by watching footage. The deeper you go into the game the more the weapons becomes hacky and slashy. There is also Blades of Exile from old God of War games with the same moves.

GOWTLOZ said:
Chazore said:

Bayonetta didn't sell well for Sega to make a sequel. Bayonetta 2 didn't sell 1 million on the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 on the Switch isn't doing that well.

The last Devil May Cry game sold less and Capcom didn't make a sequel. Devil May Cry 4 didn't get a direct sequel. I don't see what makes them popular when the games don't sell well.

Besides God of War has sold more than any other hack and slash game from its inception as a new IP. God of War 3 is the highest selling hack and slash game. It is why I call it the king that and all the main titles got 92 and above average scores.

God of War is more hack and slash than you would know by watching footage. The deeper you go into the game the more the weapons becomes hacky and slashy. There is also Blades of Exile from old God of War games with the same moves.

Again you're basing it entirely off of sales, rather than what was done and how it gained attention.

@ Bolded: oh yeah, so much hack n' slash that it hurts the eyes. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

John2290 said:
Yes, I almost went and bought the full DMC series on the PSN. Glad I didn't as only 4 would probably stand up. I'm sure many will make that mistake though and I'm sure it's already impacted and probably still impacting the gow3 remaster sales.
It's a pity people don't see the greatness in DMC: devil may cry just because Dante got a buzz cut, that game is fantastic and such a tough but fair and fun platinum with some of the best level and boss design in gaming.

DMC3 holds up incredibly well. DMC1 too, but not as much.

adisababa said:
God of War is great but as a hack and slash it is kinda outmatched by DmC, Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta, those games have far better level designs, more fun gameplay and it's a lot more colorful and flashy when you fight in those games. The set pieces are absurd and over the top, something which God of War is not.

God of War has the better story, visuals and cinematics but as a hack and slash game it isn't really the king. Also God of War doesn't feel too much like a hack and slash game anymore, you dodge a lot more, take care of spacing and parries, it's a lot more time based. Moreover, the boss fights were really lacking in the game, the Stranger Boss fight was definitely the best but we got nothing after that.

As for any effect that God of War will have... I think it will push devs to go for more cinematic games and better visuals. But the hack and slash genre is and will be owned by Bayonetta and DmC.

Better level designs LMAO. Bayonetta and DMC have the worst level designs of any games I know. Its the combat that makes those games good.

God of War has incredibly fun gameplay and is a colourful game. The set pieces in God of War games have always been more epic than any other hack and slash game. Bayonetta set pieces are so ridiculous that they feel incompetently put together.

KLAMarine said:
Aeolus451 said:

What does the term mean and what is generally used to descibe? There's your answer.

This is the definition I'm familiar with: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtonMashing

Mr Puggsly said:

Well depends on what fighting games you're referring to.

Arcade beat em' ups can be hack and slash. You're generally fighting waves of enemies and mashing the attack buttons. While console beat em' ups could be a little more strategic in comparison.

I always considered Tekken and Soul Calibur button mash fighters. They're arguably complex fighters, but button mashing combos is effective. Meanwhile traditional arcade fighting games like Capcom games, SNK games, Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat are more complex. Generally less accessible to casuals.

I was thinking just in general: button mashing means mindless and frantic button pressing whether playing Tekken or Mortal Kombat. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtonMashing

Any game with close quarter fighting can be a button masher if you want it to be one. Dark Souls can be played by just R1 spamming and timing your dodges.

collint0101 said:
I honestly hope GoW doesn't have much of an inpact on the genre. The last thing I want to see is games like Bayonetta or DMC scale back their combat for the sake of rpg elements and cinematic gameplay

Never said that they will be RPG and cinematic because God of War is such a game. I'm saying it will hep them sell due to public perception.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said: 
KLAMarine said:

This is the definition I'm familiar with: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtonMashing

I was thinking just in general: button mashing means mindless and frantic button pressing whether playing Tekken or Mortal Kombat. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtonMashing

Any game with close quarter fighting can be a button masher if you want it to be one. Dark Souls can be played by just R1 spamming and timing your dodges.

I suppose that is so. Just not the typical usage of the terms "button mashing" I'm used to...

Some people here should actually play gow before judging it. It's one of the best games this gen so even if it's not for judging purposes you should play it anyway

Kerotan said:
Some people here should actually play gow before judging it. It's one of the best games this gen so even if it's not for judging purposes you should play it anyway

People can't accept that there favourite hack and slash games are far from the best.

GOW 2, 3 AND GOS are better than any Platinum game. GOW 4 is better than any other GOW game. That speaks volumes of the quality of the game.