By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why Didnt Anyone Tell Me About Prince?

Seventizz said:
Prince’s best work was with the Revolution. Most everything after that was terrible. My favourite Prince & the Revolution tracks are Mountains, America, DMSR, Erotic City, Alphabet Street, Pop Life, Get Off, Paisly Park, Christopher Tracey’s Parade, and I’ll probably edit more in when they come to me.

Do yourself a favour and skip his movies (especially Grafitti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon), and my god - the Batman soundtrack in its entirety.

Well the Batman soundtrack has one very good song on it in Scandalous! but the rest of the album isn't very good.  His last very good album was Diamonds and Pearls anything released after that was as bad as the Badman album or worse.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Arminillo said:

Other way around, Michael wrote more himself as he got older.

His last album that was released when he was still alive Invincible all the songs where co written with someone else.  I think Bad is easily his best album especially the special edition with the bonus tracks and on that album he pretty much wrote all the songs himself.

I can't choose between the Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous trifecta. 

Chris Hu said:
Seventizz said:
Prince’s best work was with the Revolution. Most everything after that was terrible. My favourite Prince & the Revolution tracks are Mountains, America, DMSR, Erotic City, Alphabet Street, Pop Life, Get Off, Paisly Park, Christopher Tracey’s Parade, and I’ll probably edit more in when they come to me.

Do yourself a favour and skip his movies (especially Grafitti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon), and my god - the Batman soundtrack in its entirety.

Well the Batman soundtrack has one very good song on it in Scandalous! but the rest of the album isn't very good.  His last very good album was Diamonds and Pearls anything released after that was as bad as the Badman album or worse.

I thought his Emancipation album was pretty decent, the song "Mr. Happy" is one of my all time favorite songs by him. 

Prince was a better musician no doubt. He could also dance really well. I've appreciated him more since he died as well.

Mr. Goodnight is probably the filthiest song I've ever heard. Prince was a freak.

I like Rasberry Beret, Guitar, Get Off, Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

contestgamer said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

No way! Prince played like a gazillion different instruments, wrote and produced ALL of his music, ghost wrote for other artists, and could sing and perform on top of all that. MJ was great don't get me wrong but Prince had more talent in one finger than all of MJs body. 

That's nice, but MJ was an immensely better performer, dancer and overall showman. Look at any of Mj's live performances and compare it to Prince. MJ created spectacle the kind no one else ever had. Sure prince can play a lot of instruments - but a lot of people can. MJ created the kind of live performances nobody else has come close to matching in terms of energy, spectacle and awe.

I don't think anyone is going to debate that MJ hired the best choreographers, dancers, and producers that money could buy.  So what, though?  There are some people who care about that and others who do not.  Personally, I go to concerts for the musicians, not to watch a dance troupe.  

The rest is just hyperbole.  Energy, spectacle, and awe?  Iggy Pop and The Stooges, Pink Floyd, The Who, Rage Against The Machine, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, and others have all brought those criteria in spades--and Prince himself is widely considered one of the best live acts of all time.  

This isnt a thread for people to vent about how much the dont respect Michael Jackson. I only brought him up because he is THE musician of the 80s, not because they are similar. Prince has a very large musical range, and frankly has more funk in his pinky than Michael had in his entire body. That being said, Michael is the greatest dancer pop music ever has or will see.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Around the Network

In my community, there was a bit of a war over who was better, Prince or Michael Jackson. Not even sure why that was a thing. The more mature people liked the artistry and the sexually of Prince while the younger crowd liked the spectacle and pageantry of MJ. I grew up loving Mike but when I was grown, I came to appreciate Prince.

The guy could play like a million instruments, was a hell of a writer (you'd be surprised who he's written hits for) and spawned a whole wave of fake Prince "sound a-likes" in the 80s who thought the whole appeal was dressing crazy, having long greasy Bret Hart hair, and talking about sex.

I like Michael Jackson more. Michael was my childhood. I still listen to his stuff almost daily. Prince is right up there with him. The man was godly and I wish I knew how good he was at an earlier stage of my life. Luckily, I appreciated him long before he died--especially in the 90s.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 04 May 2018

pokoko said:
contestgamer said:

That's nice, but MJ was an immensely better performer, dancer and overall showman. Look at any of Mj's live performances and compare it to Prince. MJ created spectacle the kind no one else ever had. Sure prince can play a lot of instruments - but a lot of people can. MJ created the kind of live performances nobody else has come close to matching in terms of energy, spectacle and awe.

I don't think anyone is going to debate that MJ hired the best choreographers, dancers, and producers that money could buy.  So what, though?  There are some people who care about that and others who do not.  Personally, I go to concerts for the musicians, not to watch a dance troupe.  

The rest is just hyperbole.  Energy, spectacle, and awe?  Iggy Pop and The Stooges, Pink Floyd, The Who, Rage Against The Machine, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, and others have all brought those criteria in spades--and Prince himself is widely considered one of the best live acts of all time.  

Unfortunately not many people saw him perform live since he didn't tour much and mostly played smaller venues.  Also as far as I know he never toured overseas.  MJ had three massive world tours and probably could have done a couple more if he really wanted to. 

Sorry. I meant to tell you but...hm...I had a thing...

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Chris Hu said:
pokoko said:

Unfortunately not many people saw him perform live since he didn't tour much and mostly played smaller venues.  Also as far as I know he never toured overseas.  MJ had three massive world tours and probably could have done a couple more if he really wanted to. 

MJ's levels of fame/infamy are very uncanny, I mean has anyone ever been more famous than him? I mean there are a few that probably came close, Madonna, Elvis, Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe, The Beatles perhaps? 

Um, it's not really fair to compare Prince to MJ of all people. Prince was super popular in the US in the 80s in his own right (partly with his band The Revolution and part solo). He wasn't the mega star that MJ was on an entertainment level but he wrote a ton of music not just for himself but for other artists as well.

Remember, MJ was already a huge child star in the 70s with his brothers in The Jackson 5, and when he went solo in the late 70s / early 80s he really blew up, so by the time Prince hit the scene in the early 80s MJ had already crossed over into the mainstream of pop culture and music.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.