By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why Didnt Anyone Tell Me About Prince?

Prince’s best work was with the Revolution. Most everything after that was terrible. My favourite Prince & the Revolution tracks are Mountains, America, DMSR, Erotic City, Alphabet Street, Pop Life, Get Off, Paisly Park, Christopher Tracey’s Parade, and I’ll probably edit more in when they come to me.

Do yourself a favour and skip his movies (especially Grafitti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon), and my god - the Batman soundtrack in its entirety.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Michael Jackson was infamous as well as famous.  There was a lot of stuff that went into his fame, including starting out as a heavily produced child act.

Yea, I never understood why he was always lauded as so talented when he didn’t write anything (he got a writing & producing credit when he added one of his signature grunts or ‘he he’s’) or produce any of his music.  He always had a producer, writer, and choreographer.  These are, in essence, the actual inventive talents.  MJ was just following orders.

Prince could write, produce, dance, and play every instrument known to man - he was a true gifted talent.

Prince was one of a kind, a true master of his profession.

Same feeling I got when I discovered david bowie 5 years ago and realized the genius he was

Prince is just much more funky than MJ. MJ is SO perfectly produced, SO clean, nothing is left to chance. It just lends itself very well to pop and the mainstream.

Prince by contrast is a bit more wild, a little more unpredictable. He's well produced, no question, but there's some spontaneity there.

I had a similar epiphany about Prince a few years back when my Aunt and I danced all through the night to his live concerts.

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
Prince is just much more funky than MJ. MJ is SO perfectly produced, SO clean, nothing is left to chance. It just lends itself very well to pop and the mainstream.

Prince by contrast is a bit more wild, a little more unpredictable. He's well produced, no question, but there's some spontaneity there.

I had a similar epiphany about Prince a few years back when my Aunt and I danced all through the night to his live concerts.

Exactly.  Funk, jazzy, unpredictable and a whole lot less radio friendly.  I don't think he cared much about being a mega star - MJ had that on lock.  Prince is way, way more diverse than Michael though, had a ridiculous range and could play likely any instrument you put in his hands.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Prince never toured as much as MJ. But overall he was more talented then MJ he always wrote his own songs and he wrote songs for other artist also. MJ started out writing all his own stuff but then later on had other people write stuff for him. Also Prince could play multiple instruments and I don't think MJ could play any instruments.

Seventizz said:
pokoko said:

Michael Jackson was infamous as well as famous.  There was a lot of stuff that went into his fame, including starting out as a heavily produced child act.

Yea, I never understood why he was always lauded as so talented when he didn’t write anything (he got a writing & producing credit when he added one of his signature grunts or ‘he he’s’) or produce any of his music.  He always had a producer, writer, and choreographer.  These are, in essence, the actual inventive talents.  MJ was just following orders.

Prince could write, produce, dance, and play every instrument known to man - he was a true gifted talent.

Nope, MJ pretty much wrote all his material up to the Bad album but then he got lazy and just had other people people write stuff for him.  I'm guessing his rapidly declining health probably had something to do with it also.

contestgamer said:
Prince is like Magic Johnson to MJ's Michael Jordan. Still great, but not at that same level.

pretty much this.

Arminillo said:

So Ive lived my life up to this point thinking Prince was just a falsetto guy with a guitar whos only important album was Purple Rain.

Well, I just happened to rabbit hole into his discography on Spotify the other day, and holy SHIT.

He is amazing. Like wow, im not even halfway through his works and im floored. The albums Dirty Mind and Prince are basically perfect, and those are BEFORE Purple Rain. How did this guy not reach MJ level popularity?

I guess he needed better promotion. I've loved Prince for a long time, I'm glad you've discovered him.