By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - White Girl Wears Chinese Prom Dress - Outrage Commences

Aeolus451 said:
PC culture is idiotic yet it's everywhere. It makes ya wonder about the people who came up with it and the ones who follow it like a religion.

PC culture?

Around the Network
Nymeria said:

Part of this view comes from American culture where locally we have festivals to celebrate local cultures of Mexican, Irish, Italian, and especially German culture.  I wore a dirndl and drank beer from a glass boot which may be stereotypical and even offensive to you given I have no direct German heritage, but it was more of sharing and honoring each other to become closer. I do think intent and attitude matters, not just the imagery.

The challenge with these issues is we are often arguing about end products and the divide comes from very different understanding of history.  For example, if all someone knew about Germany was the second World War that vacuum of context would create a very distorted view of your people.  I'm not sure how much progress or valid use of mental resources it is spending outrage on a symptom if we ignore the causes of such mindsets.  It's not an easy issue to resolve given as a species we naturally want to take reductionist views of others.

Hehe, as a german I can say, that Dirndl is only used in parts of germany, especially Bayern, and many hate them, so appropriate away.

But in all seriousness - I'm actually happy that people enrich their life with some part of german culture. And if it is reduced to drinking beer (which I dislike, maybe I'm not a right german). And as you say, better people see also some positive things about Germany than reducing us to the guys who murdered half of europe in the world wars.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

So, the article only mentions two people who Tweeted at her, is that really enough to count as outrage these days?

I thought this was a nice write up about this:

https://www.quora.com/With-political-correctness-now-extending-to-high-school-prom-dresses-has-it-gone-too-far

That appears to be a Chinese themed dress. The concept of “cultural appropriation” is useless in most cases. It’s just a hot-button term, usually a straw man, usually an undefined variable and usually a floating no-true-Scotsman. It means “this one thing that I think you’re doing and I need to cry about it.” I think the person complaining needs to take a good long hard look inside their own values and figure them out.

(Having looked), that’s a a beautiful dress. It looks great on her. If the rule is, “Nobody gets to wear the clothing of other cultures,” then that seems odd (but is at least the same for all people). If it’s, “White people can’t do it because of XYZ ancestors,” then that’s not much of a moral rule (because we all have shitty ancestors), and is exclusively about group punishment based on immutable identity or about power (specifically taking power: “I get to do this, not you!” in which case, if it’s only about power, then white people have no guilt — they just exercised power). So the moral values here need to be sorted out by whoever is making this complaint. (To wit: there’s no such thing as “group guilt” and if you being assigning a value based on ‘race’, then you’re opening the same door we should have closed when we declared racism to be evil.)

If there is such a thing as “cultural appropriation” (and there probably is, depending on the circumstances), this isn’t it. Looks like a nice dress with beautiful fabric that looks vaguely Chinese. I’m not aware that anybody can “own” a design concept. There’s no objective moral rule that “XYZ fabric belongs to XYZ group”. I think the world should be celebrating different cultures and that looks like she was doing that. (It would be a very different thing if she did the Asian equivalent of “blackface” with a farmer’s hat on). If some people are complaining about it (and it looks like some people are, but I can’t be specific about how many), they’re idiots and should be ignored.

(Hint: if it’s only a white woman you complain about and not everybody, including other cultural backgrounds, your moral rule is flawed — there isn’t a moral rule that applies to some people but not others.)

She didn't wear it to mock chinese people, but because it's a pretty dress.
Move on people, nothing to see here.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Aeolus451 said:
PC culture is idiotic yet it's everywhere. It makes ya wonder about the people who came up with it and the ones who follow it like a religion.

PC culture?

Yes. 

Aeolus451 said:

Well, there's some people who take it too far.  But in general it's not a bad thing.  

LiquorandGunFun said:
this is stupid.

why is it anyone's business anyways? so what? its what she wants to wear.

Speaking of business, there are A LOT of cultures/religions/races that have adopted suits while doing business, weddings, social events, or even simply just going about their day. I guess everyone in the West should be appalled by this and should get on social media and demand they stop wearing them altogether. How dare they take someone's idea and modify it to fit their needs without being 100% true to the original idea!

the-pi-guy said:
Aeolus451 said:

Well, there's some people who take it too far.  But in general it's not a bad thing.  

It is bad thing considering where it was always going to go. It's inherently authoritarian. Political correctness has nothing to do with being right or doing the right thing. It's just a tool with a positive PR label that's being used to control culture. This sort of thing is not an outlier type of situation, it's the norm. This is no different than toxic masculinity or "people of color" can't be racist.

Aeolus451 said:
the-pi-guy said:

It is bad thing considering where it was always going to go. It's inherently authoritarian. Political correctness has nothing to do with being right or doing the right thing. It's just a tool with a positive PR label that's being used to control culture. This sort of thing is not an outlier type of situation, it's the norm. This is no different than toxic masculinity or "people of color" can't be racist.

PC is just about being polite.  

Any horror stories you have about PC, are just extremes, they aren't inherent to PC.