By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - White Girl Wears Chinese Prom Dress - Outrage Commences

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/01/chinese-prom-dress-draws-rage-but-utah-student-said-she-meant-no-harm/567846002/

Cultural appropriation... Anyone here bothered by this?

Around the Network

Some people just live in misery and want to share that with everyone. Fuck them.

No. This whole notion is bizarre and feels out of far right wing "keep the races separate" mentality yet is employed by the far left.

Also, the internet gives everyone a voice so a handful can be focused on and magnified. I'm guessing vast majority of people are thousands of greater concerns than prom dresses.

Nymeria said:
No. This whole notion is bizarre and feels out of far right wing "keep the races separate" mentality yet is employed by the far left.

Also, the internet gives everyone a voice so a handful can be focused on and magnified. I'm guessing vast majority of people are thousands of greater concerns than prom dresses.

I agree with you there, IMO a tiny minority has an actual issue with this. Unfortunately the loud voices drown them out and create a hostile environment for people like the girl in this story.

As a Chinese person, this is my reaction:

1. Not bothered per se on an individual case basis, as I have no understanding of the connotation of her wearing that dress, and as she's claimed, she has nothing but appreciation for the culture behind it, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt

2. It's also an automatic reaction for me to assume a negative association with such a phenomenon, based on experiences. There is an interesting observation I've made over the years, while I tend to associate negative experiences with what's described in the article, Chinese people who were born and raised and live in China tend to have a more positive association to such things. I was born in China and left early but assume a strong familial tie with the homeland. I think for those of us who live in cultures non-native to our heritage/upbringing, we have made the inference that when such things happen, it's likely associated with ignorance or the worse case scenario racism, in most cases, it's an annoyance. I doubt the girl in the dress understands the political and historical context of the dress, and it's important, as it's not at all a normalised daily wear in China, it's cultural significance has more weight than its functionality, and knowing that would certainly give more credit to her claiming cultural appreciation and perhaps put her off wearing it. Finally, the group photo pose is ... I don't even know where to start

Around the Network

I find this whole cultural appropriation as a negative thing bizarre. All we hear is how great multicultural and diversity is, well that involves one culture using and absorbing another culture's inventions and customs. The whole videogame industry exist as it does today because of a series of cultural appropriations

royboom said:
As a Chinese person, this is my reaction:

1. Not bothered per se on an individual case basis, as I have no understanding of the connotation of her wearing that dress, and as she's claimed, she has nothing but appreciation for the culture behind it, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt

2. It's also an automatic reaction for me to assume a negative association with such a phenomenon, based on experiences. There is an interesting observation I've made over the years, while I tend to associate negative experiences with what's described in the article, Chinese people who were born and raised and live in China tend to have a more positive association to such things. I was born in China and left early but assume a strong familial tie with the homeland. I think for those of us who live in cultures non-native to our heritage/upbringing, we have made the inference that when such things happen, it's likely associated with ignorance or the worse case scenario racism, in most cases, it's an annoyance. I doubt the girl in the dress understands the political and historical context of the dress, and it's important, as it's not at all a normalised daily wear in China, it's cultural significance has more weight than its functionality, and knowing that would certainly give more credit to her claiming cultural appreciation and perhaps put her off wearing it. Finally, the group photo pose is ... I don't even know where to start

lol I thought they did a martial art stance at first. That might have been a bit much.

How dare she, burn the witch at the stake!

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Yeah, let's try to make up for all the decades of racism and discrimination... by keeping cultures separatied from each other to the point of not being able to shae clothes or hairstyles. How does that work?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I sort of get why some people are offended but equally think they should get a grip.

The BBC article I read about highlighted a male Chinese man saying how this gown of female empowerment couldn't be worn by her as she wasn't Chinese. You could easily flip this to say a man was telling a woman he didn't qualify for this symbol of female empowerment...

It all feels off to me. China for instance can't get enough of Western fashion. But the West aren't allowed any of theirs? Maybe it's not really, more tradition but then couldn't you say the same thing about China using Western wedding dresses?