By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo removes DKC Tropical Freeze from Wii U eshop

I think OP should add that it's NA eshop only and not all eShops. If it weren't for the fact that it's still up on the EU eShops i'd agree with it likely being a dick move by Nintendo but now I think it might be something else.

Around the Network

Wow that's really a pathetic move from them. But hey it's Nintendo they will get along with it...

got to get that $60 port out. there is no market for wiiu anyways.

The idea that Nintendo would be threatened by a lower priced Wii U version of a game is pretty weird too tbh. Kind of doesn't make sense since the Wii U version of the other ports are still on the eshop and EU can still download Tropical Freeze.

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 01 May 2018

This is very Nintendo. Not only they are charging $10 more than 4 years ago for the same game, but they make everything they can to erase the cheaper version from existence as to trying to justify the awful price. I want to play Tropical Freeze, but not until it's $20. I can wait, there are way too many PlayStation 4 games to play for the next 2 or 3 years.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

To me, that puts the situation in a whole new light :

You mean that this guy is unable to understand the difference between "physical copies out of stock" and "game taken off the eshop" ? Then he's really not bright enough to bring any light on this situation...

This did nothing but made them look bad, I do not get it in the least. Not that many people had a WiiU, and those that don't would opt for a Switch anyway at this point. If I get the game now, I am likely getting it physical on amazon for 20ish bucks. I was planning on getting for Switch, but man the shade behind this move puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Did they think no one would notice? It is possible but at that point why do it at all? I would consider a full shutdown of the eshop on WiiU less of a dick move than this, because at least then it would be expected and make sense moving into the next gen. This is just a blatant smack in the face to WiiU owners.

"Well you can buy WiiU games from us still, just not the ones coming out on Switch."

Sad state of affairs, and shit like this is why I will ALWAYS prefer physical over digital.

Another thought, those that have already bought the game digital but deleted it, can they still download?  If not I will never opt digital again for as long as I can.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

This probably affected 50 people max. If you didn’t buy the game within its first four years, you weren’t going to get it on a dead console. And if you were just buying it at a discounted price just to spite the developers for porting, maybe you should be worried more about your own scruples instead of Nintendo’s.

Shiken said: 

Another thought, those that have already bought the game digital but deleted it, can they still download?  If not I will never opt digital again for as long as I can.

They can still redownload from what I heard.

This is just a blatant smack in the face to WiiU owners.

North American Wii U owners at least. I honestly dont think they took it down because they felt threatened by the Wii U version. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

Ulternia said:
This probably affected 50 people max. If you didn’t buy the game within its first four years, you weren’t going to get it on a dead console. And if you were just buying it at a discounted price just to spite the developers for porting, maybe you should be worried more about your own scruples instead of Nintendo’s.

That just makes it worse.....

Why bother if it only effects 50 people? potentially selling 50 copies at 20$ instead of maybe 50 x 60$.... its small change for nintendo.

Its not worth the backlash and bad PR this causes.