By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch killer app that nobody ever mentions

Jumpin said:

Killer app? This is one of those cases of people throwing around terms FAR too readily; like calling a game a “sleeper hit” when it hasn’t even reached 150,000 units, or a AAA title when it’s a lower fidelity title that obviously had a low budget and small dev team.

Killer apps are software that can single-handedly move MILLIONS of pieces of hardware by themselves - like Wii Sports, Super Mario Bros, and Breath of the Wild to a lesser extent - particularly in the early stages of hardware release, but on occasion later stages - such was the case with Pokemon on Gameboy.

NSMB Switch isn’t going to do that.

It did for Wii and Wii U (to a lesser extent).

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

NSMB 3 will be huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Mario Maker is a replacement to any old mario designs (from NES to Wii U). If and when they release a new 2d game, it needs to be fundamentally different, better playing, and better looking. The lighting and graphics on DKTropical Freeze compared to NSBU is astounding and Nintendo needs to make a true hd mario game.

I own a WiiU but I never had desire to buy Mario Maker. Something just seems wrong about someone else designing levels as it’s main focus.

Dulfite said:
Mario Maker is a replacement to any old mario designs (from NES to Wii U). If and when they release a new 2d game, it needs to be fundamentally different, better playing, and better looking. The lighting and graphics on DKTropical Freeze compared to NSBU is astounding and Nintendo needs to make a true hd mario game.

And even Tropical Freeze wasn't really a graphically impressive game even by Wii U standards; a 2D Mario built for the Switch with as much effort put into it as Odyssey could look spectacular. 

Not since Super Mario World in 1990 have Nintendo really gone all out and given a 2D Mario the investment it deserves. I don't even mean just graphics either, but also music, level design...

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 April 2018

Around the Network

It's because the new 2D Mario's weren't as great as the original ones released during the NES and SNES days. That, and they were released too often. People could handle lots of 2D Mario if it evolved like SMB-SM3 but they ended up all just being the same damn game over and over again. It got stale.

twintail said:
Don't see the point when Mario maker exists.

Granted 2D Mario > 3D Mario

?  RPG Makers have been around for decades, and yet RPGs are still a thing.

I can totally see a 2D Mario with new style in 2019.
And Mario maker 2 in 2021.

Mandalore76 said:
twintail said:
Don't see the point when Mario maker exists.

Granted 2D Mario > 3D Mario

?  RPG Makers have been around for decades, and yet RPGs are still a thing.

They really have been. I remember this really old one from the early 90s where you could create your own RPG using basic tile sets and character models. You could program various elements with very basic scripts. I totally forget the name of the game, though. I believe it was a DOS game; the graphics were about the level of Dwarf Fortress.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

A 2D Mario game with proper production values would sure be a strong system seller.