By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony FY2017 - HW 19 Million Sold, SW 246.9 Million Sold. 79 Million Shipped Ending March 31st.

Guitarguy said:
How did the TV division go?

The movies&tv licenses stuff?

"Revenue at Sony Pictures Entertainment in the fiscal year through the end of March was up 12 percent to $9.25 billion (¥1.011 trillion)."

"Overall sales at Sony Corp. were up 12 percent to $77 billion (¥8.54 trillion)"

- Hollywoodreporter.com

Operating income was like ~$7 billion.
So sony are profitable atm.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Really cool it's going to eclipse the PS1 sales but I have to admit I was hoping it had a chance at beating the PS2.

FY 2013 - 7.5M
FY 2014 - 14.8M (22.3M Total)
FY 2015 - 17.7M (40M Total)
FY 2016 - 20M (60M Total)
FY 2017 - 19M (79M Total)

------------ guessing below:

FY 2018 - 18M (97M Total)
FY 2019 - 16M (113M Total)
FY 2020 - 12M (125M Total)  (PS5 has now launched and PS4 sales slow)

Then maybe over the next 4 years it does another 10m?
Total sales of PS4 ends up around ~134m or so.

So I dont think it ll beat the PS2 in total sales.... However I can see it going over 130m, which isnt a bad number at all.

That´s a lot of Plus subscriptions!

thismeintiel said:
melbye said:
I have been speculating that Sony intends to release a new slim version of PS4 Pro, but now i am not so sure. I do however think that they intend to discontinue the regular PS4

Why would they get rid of the OG PS4? That would make no sense. It's the one that sells the most, making up ~80% of PS4 sales. The only thing the forecast really shows is that Sony isn't going for any major price cuts this year. Probably just $50 for each. 

The Pro has been out for nearly 2 years without a price-cut, so it is bound to get a price-cut in the near future. When the Pro is below $300 i believe the regular PS4 becomes redundant. Sure they could cut the price on the Slim to $200, but if that was the case then they would have projected sales a lot higher than 16 million. But at the end of the day what the hell do i know

Probably on the low end side of proyections.Still shows they won't do a price cut, which imo means longer lifespan

Maybe tech for a reasonably good ps5 won't become cheap enough so soon so they are trying to not burn their shots so soon. Still, ps4 seems to be expensive at this point in it's lifespan (correct me if I'm wrong) and sony are having great money with psn and software sales, they don't seem to want to rush things

Around the Network

A little sad for the down on the shipped numbers, but perhaps they are planning to exceed on the pricecut or just being realist about the phase-out part of PS4 by 2020 and the lowered sales that will happen until them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

melbye said:
thismeintiel said:

Why would they get rid of the OG PS4? That would make no sense. It's the one that sells the most, making up ~80% of PS4 sales. The only thing the forecast really shows is that Sony isn't going for any major price cuts this year. Probably just $50 for each. 

The Pro has been out for nearly 2 years without a price-cut, so it is bound to get a price-cut in the near future. When the Pro is below $300 i believe the regular PS4 becomes redundant. Sure they could cut the price on the Slim to $200, but if that was the case then they would have projected sales a lot higher than 16 million. But at the end of the day what the hell do i know

Sony is obviously being conservative with their forecast, like they were last FY, when they said 18M, but shipped 19M.  They should do at least 17M this FY.  Like I said, to me that just shows we may just be getting a price cut of $50, which will help address drops, but it's not big enough to help them remain flat, especially with it coming so late in the FY. 

And there is no such thing as a redundant SKU, at least not when there is still a $100+ difference between the top and bottom.  And when the PS4 finally gets to $199, or possibly lower, in the next year or two, it'll help extend the PS4's legs.  Much better than a $299 Pro would, especially with a $399 PS5, possibly with PS4 B/C built in.

derpysquirtle64 said:
KBG29 said:
Interesting numbers. Is the drastic drop in PS4 sales down to deciding on no price drop this year? Are they planning to unviel PS5 at PSX? Something else completely? Very interesting forecasting.

On another note, G&NS fell just short of surpassing Financials as the top earner for the company, but should finally take the crown next FY.

Sony Mobile continues to be absolutely worthless, sales continue to fall, and they're back to making losses. This division the worst ran business in the history of the company. They make they have been a year 1 PS3 level disaster for almost a decade now, but instead of having a great product that can actually be turned around, they are just garbage devices running a Non Sony OS, and connected to a Non Sony Store Front. Absolute waste of time, money, resources, talent, patents, and more.

Overall, Sony has really turned things around. Most divisions are making a profit, and some are making quite significant returns. But, man oh man, is there a lot left on the table. If they ever get around to running on a unified front, they are going to do some incredible things. Getting all of their devices running on their own OS and Store, and creating a One Sony experience across every product is the key they are missing. Hope Kenichiro Yoshidia can finally accomplish this.

It is a nice wishful thinking but I still don’t understand how Sony will attract developers to their mobile OS. Even Microsoft with all their resources failed to enter mobile market. I’m almost 100% sure that if they drop android, their mobile division will lose them even more money than they are losing now. Because there won’t be anyone who would buy a phone without apps. 

Sony won't. Apple and google spend far more developing their platforms in a quarter than Sony spends in an entire year. Sony cannot compete with iOS and Android, and it would be a huge waste of money to try.  It's complete nonsense that he continues to push.

In before he chimes in that your car stereo and your playstation should be running the same operating system because reasons.

Intrinsic said:
Whats the surplus from the last FY?

Cause whatever that surplus is plus what they plan on shipping this year can paint a better picture of how much they really plan on selling.

At the end of Dec it was 73.6 million sold and 76.5 million shipped so a difference of 2.9 million.

They shipped 2.5 million last quarter but according to NPD/Media Create, US+Japan alone sold ~1.7 million and since Europe is their strongest region and factoring in RoTW than sales should be over 3 million for the quarter.

Its highly likely they sold more than they shipped last quarter to get rid of excess stock.

Last edited by zorg1000 - on 27 April 2018

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

JRPGfan said:
John2290 said:
Really cool it's going to eclipse the PS1 sales but I have to admit I was hoping it had a chance at beating the PS2.

FY 2013 - 7.5M
FY 2014 - 14.8M (22.3M Total)
FY 2015 - 17.7M (40M Total)
FY 2016 - 20M (60M Total)
FY 2017 - 19M (79M Total)

------------ guessing below:

FY 2018 - 18M (97M Total)
FY 2019 - 16M (113M Total)
FY 2020 - 12M (125M Total)  (PS5 has now launched and PS4 sales slow)

Then maybe over the next 4 years it does another 10m?
Total sales of PS4 ends up around ~134m or so.

So I dont think it ll beat the PS2 in total sales.... However I can see it going over 130m, which isnt a bad number at all.

Yea, I think Sony will just have to settle for the 2nd best selling home console, and 3rd best console, of all time, lol.