By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony FY2017 - HW 19 Million Sold, SW 246.9 Million Sold. 79 Million Shipped Ending March 31st.

JRPGfan said:
John2290 said:
Really cool it's going to eclipse the PS1 sales but I have to admit I was hoping it had a chance at beating the PS2.

FY 2013 - 7.5M
FY 2014 - 14.8M (22.3M Total)
FY 2015 - 17.7M (40M Total)
FY 2016 - 20M (60M Total)
FY 2017 - 19M (79M Total)

------------ guessing below:

FY 2018 - 18M (97M Total)
FY 2019 - 16M (113M Total)
FY 2020 - 12M (125M Total)  (PS5 has now launched and PS4 sales slow)

Then maybe over the next 4 years it does another 10m?
Total sales of PS4 ends up around ~134m or so.

So I dont think it ll beat the PS2 in total sales.... However I can see it going over 130m, which isnt a bad number at all.

Yea, I think Sony will just have to settle for the 2nd best selling home console, and 3rd best console, of all time, lol. 



Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:
Whats the surplus from the last FY?

Cause whatever that surplus is plus what they plan on shipping this year can paint a better picture of how much they really plan on selling.

At the end of Dec it was 73.6 million sold and 76.5 million shipped so a difference of 3.9 million.

They shipped 2.5 million last quarter but according to NPD/Media Create, US+Japan alone sold ~1.7 million and since Europe is their strongest region and factoring in RoTW than sales should be over 3 million for the quarter.

 

Its highly likely they sold more than they shipped last quarter to get rid of excess stock.

You state the difference was 3.9M.  That's actually a difference of 2.9M.  I agree with your analysis, though.



thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

At the end of Dec it was 73.6 million sold and 76.5 million shipped so a difference of 3.9 million.

They shipped 2.5 million last quarter but according to NPD/Media Create, US+Japan alone sold ~1.7 million and since Europe is their strongest region and factoring in RoTW than sales should be over 3 million for the quarter.

 

Its highly likely they sold more than they shipped last quarter to get rid of excess stock.

You state the difference was 3.9M.  That's actually a difference of 2.9M.  I agree with your analysis, though.

Haha whoops, its too early for math



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Excellent sales by the way, on track to hitting 100 million sometime in mid-2019.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I don't see anything bad in lower shipments actually. PS4 probably already peaked and it won't be a surprise if it will be down YoY in 2018. It is just already too good and almost everyone bought it at least from those who wanted it. I don't see how it can be a disaster if it sells 18m this year instead of 20.



 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Guitarguy said:
How did the TV division go?

The movies&tv licenses stuff?

"Revenue at Sony Pictures Entertainment in the fiscal year through the end of March was up 12 percent to $9.25 billion (¥1.011 trillion)."

"Overall sales at Sony Corp. were up 12 percent to $77 billion (¥8.54 trillion)"

- Hollywoodreporter.com


Operating income was like ~$7 billion.
So sony are profitable atm.

Mostly just due to 3 movies: Spiderman: Homecoming, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and, sadly, the Emoji Movie. Thankfully, the last one was also by far the worst performing one of the bunch.



JRPGfan said:
Guitarguy said:
How did the TV division go?

The movies&tv licenses stuff?

"Revenue at Sony Pictures Entertainment in the fiscal year through the end of March was up 12 percent to $9.25 billion (¥1.011 trillion)."

"Overall sales at Sony Corp. were up 12 percent to $77 billion (¥8.54 trillion)"

- Hollywoodreporter.com


Operating income was like ~$7 billion.
So sony are profitable atm.

oh i meant their TV sets. They make some of the best in the business.



PS4 could have sold more if the Pro wasn't such a half hearted attempt at a mid gen upgrade. The difference in Far Cry 5 is staggering, 1620p on PS4 Pro and 4K on One X and its the same for many multiplatform games. There is no freesync and no backwards compatibility and the Switch has captured public attention. They have to do more if they want to keep the price at $300 and $400 but if they do a price cut it could sell amazingly.



Wrong thread.



My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m

GOWTLOZ said:
PS4 could have sold more if the Pro wasn't such a half hearted attempt at a mid gen upgrade. The difference in Far Cry 5 is staggering, 1620p on PS4 Pro and 4K on One X and its the same for many multiplatform games. There is no freesync and no backwards compatibility and the Switch has captured public attention. They have to do more if they want to keep the price at $300 and $400 but if they do a price cut it could sell amazingly.

Pro wasn't a half hearted attempt. It was a smart way of going about it so it's cost wasn't crazy. They basically just doubled up on the GPU they were already buying from AMD, with a few slight improvements, and over clocked everything. It's why it's $399 and not $499. It'll also allow them to earn more profit when they do cut the price. In the end, what truly matters, is the Pro is going to easily outsell the X. And when the PS5 comes out, they are both going to look weak in comparison.