By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony FY2017 - HW 19 Million Sold, SW 246.9 Million Sold. 79 Million Shipped Ending March 31st.

GOWTLOZ said:
PS4 could have sold more if the Pro wasn't such a half hearted attempt at a mid gen upgrade. The difference in Far Cry 5 is staggering, 1620p on PS4 Pro and 4K on One X and its the same for many multiplatform games. There is no freesync and no backwards compatibility and the Switch has captured public attention. They have to do more if they want to keep the price at $300 and $400 but if they do a price cut it could sell amazingly.

Completely irrelevant...... trust me, if a fairy told MS to scrap the XB1x and then that would make the XB1s sell as well as the PS4 n general.... MS will do it in a heart beat.

All those things you mention has not and will not stop PS4 from still outselling the XB1 at its now normal at least 2:1. What does that tell you?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
For the people saying this means no price cut this year, thats not necessarily true, consoles can still decline in a year that has a price cut.

PS2 had price cuts in 2003 & 2004 yet shipmenys dropped in those years.

Wii had its first price cut in 2009, shipments dropped that year.

Thats true, but if sony price cuts the PS4 and at the same time reduces shipments, then I think they have grossly read their sales history and potential wrong. Especially if selling at $199 for all of a week last year showed them anything.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:
For the people saying this means no price cut this year, thats not necessarily true, consoles can still decline in a year that has a price cut.

PS2 had price cuts in 2003 & 2004 yet shipmenys dropped in those years.

Wii had its first price cut in 2009, shipments dropped that year.

Thats true, but if sony price cuts the PS4 and at the same time reduces shipments, then I think they have grossly read their sales history and potential wrong. Especially if selling at $199 for all of a week last year showed them anything.

Here are the numbers Sony gave out for global holiday sell through (last 6 weeks of the year).

2015-5.7 million

2016-6.2 million

2017-5.9 million

That week at $199 was massive but overall holiday sales were right around the last two years. To me that shows one of two things.

1. The week at $199 just prevented holiday sales from slipping further.

2. The week at $199 stole sales from December.

I think some people are overestimating what an official price cut will do for sales, especially since a cut to $199 was never likely to happen, a cut to $249 is far more likely.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kerotan said:
It will be upped to at least 17m. They've done it every year why would it change now. This is just humbled Sony in full swing.

Humbled Sony?

something that was not noticed was that 43% of last quarters game sales were digital, which is a new high. Digital will eventually completely demolish physical. just give it five or so years.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Kerotan said:
It will be upped to at least 17m. They've done it every year why would it change now. This is just humbled Sony in full swing.

Humbled Sony?

Yeah that's what I said 

Humbled sony yay !

Kerotan said:
KLAMarine said:

Humbled Sony?

Yeah that's what I said 

Humbled by what?

KLAMarine said:
Kerotan said:

Yeah that's what I said 

Humbled by what?

They do low forecasts, so they can beat them,
and come out and say "we re so surprised" "we re humbled by the support of fans" ect.

JRPGfan said:
KLAMarine said:

Humbled by what?

They do low forecasts, so they can beat them,
and come out and say "we re so surprised" "we re humbled by the support of fans" ect.

More like swindling sony.....

they make low forecasts. beat them, then the financial market scream from the rooftops how sony is surpassing expectations. Share price goes up.... profit.