By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony FY2017 - HW 19 Million Sold, SW 246.9 Million Sold. 79 Million Shipped Ending March 31st.

KBG29 said:
Interesting numbers. Is the drastic drop in PS4 sales down to deciding on no price drop this year? Are they planning to unviel PS5 at PSX? Something else completely? Very interesting forecasting.

On another note, G&NS fell just short of surpassing Financials as the top earner for the company, but should finally take the crown next FY.

Sony Mobile continues to be absolutely worthless, sales continue to fall, and they're back to making losses. This division the worst ran business in the history of the company. They make they have been a year 1 PS3 level disaster for almost a decade now, but instead of having a great product that can actually be turned around, they are just garbage devices running a Non Sony OS, and connected to a Non Sony Store Front. Absolute waste of time, money, resources, talent, patents, and more.

Overall, Sony has really turned things around. Most divisions are making a profit, and some are making quite significant returns. But, man oh man, is there a lot left on the table. If they ever get around to running on a unified front, they are going to do some incredible things. Getting all of their devices running on their own OS and Store, and creating a One Sony experience across every product is the key they are missing. Hope Kenichiro Yoshidia can finally accomplish this.

It is a nice wishful thinking but I still don’t understand how Sony will attract developers to their mobile OS. Even Microsoft with all their resources failed to enter mobile market. I’m almost 100% sure that if they drop android, their mobile division will lose them even more money than they are losing now. Because there won’t be anyone who would buy a phone without apps. 

Around the Network

16 million sounds a bit pessimistic to me but maybe they are just trying to be conservative. Or, if the PS5 really releases in late 2019, they are allocating resources to it already. Should be a nice battle between the PS4 and the Switch this year.

Pinkie_pie said:
Only 2.5m shipped between january-march? Didn't switch ship like 2.7m? how did Sony only ship 2.5m ps4s when it's been selling more than switch in America and Japan from January - march?

Different stock situations going in and/or out of the quarter might explain it.

16m seems low for shipments, it's at the very least on track to sell 18m to consumers this calendar year. It almost gives more credit to the q1 2019 ps5 rumour. xD

But 96m shipped by March 2019, I can live with that.

Operating profit is an important figure to miss out from the OP.

PlayStation had an operating profit of $1.6 Billion, up from the previous years $1.1 Billion. They're absolutely raking in the cash.

Around the Network

i cant say its surprising, i might be the only one who doesn't see it as anything major or drastic.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Barkley said:

Operating profit is an important figure to miss out from the OP.

PlayStation had an operating profit of $1.6 Billion, up from the previous years $1.1 Billion. They're absolutely raking in the cash.

Thanks. I put the thread together in a hurry earlier. I’ll add it in. 

Lawlight said:
BlackBeauty said:
Why are people surprised by the forecast? It’s literally dead in japan.

PS5 is coming close I feel.

Since when has the PS4 needed Japan to sell a lot? It sold 18.5M last year without Japan.

Shipped,it sold 20.6

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Pinkie_pie said:
Only 2.5m shipped between january-march? Didn't switch ship like 2.7m? how did Sony only ship 2.5m ps4s when it's been selling more than switch in America and Japan from January - march?

Switch did 2.92m this quarter actually.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe last quarter was overshipped and it had an impact on this one, like forest-spirit already suggested.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Barkley said:
16m seems low for shipments, it's at the very least on track to sell 18m to consumers this calendar year. It almost gives more credit to the q1 2019 ps5 rumour. xD

But 96m shipped by March 2019, I can live with that.

FY 2018. just started, not even hole month is over.