By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won March NPD (PS4: 354K, NSW: 308K, XBO: 299K)

Enemy said:

Heavenly_King said: 
how can the XBO manage to sell that much with their current gen library of games???

Because of brand loyalty. Every Xbox has sold well in the U.S. 

I think there are many delusional people in the U.S. who think they have to buy Xbox because Microsoft is an American company no matter how much Microsoft screws them.

Microsoft may not be spending great amounts of money on games in comparison to their competitors but in the U.S. Microsoft seems to spend great amounts of money on marketing. Microsoft uses many misleading if not false advertisements at retail stores like Walmart. 

LOL wot? So because I prefer xbox, I'm a delusional person who falls for fake advertising... 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
Enemy said:

Heavenly_King said: 
how can the XBO manage to sell that much with their current gen library of games???

Because of brand loyalty. Every Xbox has sold well in the U.S. 

I think there are many delusional people in the U.S. who think they have to buy Xbox because Microsoft is an American company no matter how much Microsoft screws them.

Microsoft may not be spending great amounts of money on games in comparison to their competitors but in the U.S. Microsoft seems to spend great amounts of money on marketing. Microsoft uses many misleading if not false advertisements at retail stores like Walmart. 

LOL wot? So because I prefer xbox, I'm a delusional person who falls for fake advertising... 

Reporting him for trolling, is way easier

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Shadow1980 said:
quickrick said:

dude november just doesnt seem that great for nintendo based on trends, 50$ wont change nothing.

Nintendo hasn't issued any big Black Friday deals either like MS and Sony have. November used to be a much smaller month relative to December for hardware sales. That all changed in 2011 when the 360 & PS3 started getting big temporary price cuts from multiple retailers. At first those were unofficial, being up to specific retailers, but then Sony & MS started issuing official BF price cuts themselves this generation. Meanwhile, Nintendo hasn't doesn't jack as far as official BF price cuts go. They weren't going to do it for the Wii U because it wouldn't have really mattered much, and for whatever reason they didn't do anything last BF for the Switch. But if Nintendo started to do what MS & Sony do on BF, then November would start to be a much more significant month for them sales-wise.

And their December sales would shrink as people bought there Christmas presents on black friday.  

Gratulation !! @ the best GAMES-CONSOLE, the PS4!
"God of War" now and next month "Detroit Become Human", two Masterpieces.
In April and May again number 1 then.

Shadow1980 said:
gtjay1982 said:

And their December sales would shrink as people bought there Christmas presents on black friday.  

Well, it's hard to say for sure if the sudden relative surge in November sales has indeed come at the expense of December. Comparing 2010 to 2011 it certainly seems to be the case. However, we still get very strong Decembers for PlayStation & Xbox. Maybe nothing quite like we saw in Dec. 2002 when the PS2 & Xbox sold over 3.7M combined, but we have to keep in mind how big the PS2 was at its peak (which it was at the time).

But we can say for sure that these big holiday sales have come at the expense of sales for the rest of the year. Compared to past generations, combined PS & Xbox sales during the non-holiday months haven't been anything stellar this generation. Not bad, but nothing like we saw when their predecessors were at their peaks. However, the PS4 & XBO have more than made up for it during the holidays to produce solid sales for the year as a whole. On average, during their generations proper, Q4 sales made up about half the year's sales for combined PS2+Xbox and PS3+360 sales, whereas so far Q4 has on average produced nearly 59% of the year's sales for combined PS4 & XBO sales. So far, the PS4 & XBO have produced three consecutive Q4s with over 5.5 million units combined sales, something their predecessors were unable to do, not just consecutively but at all. Overall, it seems that a considerable number of buyers simply wait for the holidays to buy PlayStation and Xbox consoles.

Great post!!!!

Could you do similar charts for Nintendo hardware?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Xbox continues to do well in the US because Microsoft did an excellent job of making people feel invested in their ecosystem.

In much the same way that players often resist leaving an MMO because they "lose" all the gold and rewards from their efforts, creating an environment with things like gamerpoints, achievements, and friend networks keeps people from easily switching consoles the way they did in the past.

Many people have little interest in deep single-player games, as well, which largely negates the exclusive advantage. Something like The Last of Us wouldn't even be on their radar.

Microsoft has catered to this demographic from the beginning and they've managed to keep many of them despite their missteps this gen.

pokoko said:
Xbox continues to do well in the US because Microsoft did an excellent job of making people feel invested in their ecosystem.

In much the same way that players often resist leaving an MMO because they "lose" all the gold and rewards from their efforts, creating an environment with things like gamerpoints, achievements, and friend networks keeps people from easily switching consoles the way they did in the past.

Many people have little interest in deep single-player games, as well, which largely negates the exclusive advantage. Something like The Last of Us wouldn't even be on their radar.

Microsoft has catered to this demographic from the beginning and they've managed to keep many of them despite their missteps this gen.

This. I have a few friendw tish PS4s that have no intrest in GoW because its single player only.

pokoko said:

I agree 100% with what you said. By the time the next box launches, gamers will have tens, if not hundreds, of games across three generations they will leave behind in case they switched to Sony or Nintendo. It won't be as easy as it used to be. 

Microsoft's next step should be to find a way to convert the physical copies to digital ones. We won't be having discs forever. 

Sony and Nintendo need to implement something similar or they will always have a significant disadvantage. 

Microsoft can advertise the launch of their new console with 3,000 games already available to buy and enjoy.

jason1637 said:
pokoko said:

This. I have a few friendw tish PS4s that have no intrest in GoW because its single player only.

This comment is funny.

I have many friends who switched from xbox to ps4 because of the exclusives sp games.

Its rather funny to say sp gamea are not that important when said system almost has none.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

pokoko said:

The reverse is also true. Many gamers couldn't care less about multiplayer and prefer singleplayer experiences like GoW or BotW over SoT. For those, Xbox probably isn't the right console right now.