By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 Outsells Original!! :D

This game is amazing, well deserved success.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Just checked the VGChartz numbers of Splatoon 2 compared to the original Splatoon. It's 4.70 million units for the first game vs. 4.71 million for the sequel.

It's already outsold the original in less than a year! :D

Soon we might even be able to add Mario Kart 8 DX to Switch games that outsold their Wii U versions too.

It did that in December according to Nintendo (shipped 4.91m).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

AlfredoTurkey said:

There's actually Japanese players on Splatoon 1 because it's not region locked and those guys don't fuck around so, overall, the players on the first game are definitely better.

And these "balanced and fixed" comments are bullshit (not you, but whoever says it is bullshitting). What they "balanced and fixed" was making the franchise more accessible and leveling the playing field. It's what Nintendo does. They release a game and then spend years tinkering with it until they find a formula where people of lesser or no skill can compete with people who are actually great... thus alienating the great players and forcing them to find something else to play.

When I play Splatoon 1, there is never a time where my experience and skill gets trumped by an in-game handicap. That is to say that every time I get taken down by another player, I feel like it was my fault. There is always a feeling of screwing up on my part. When I play Splatoon 2, on the other hand, it's almost constantly NOT my fault. The game was made that way. It's designed that way. And I just can't fucking take it. 

It's the same reason I just can't handle Mario Kart anymore. I can't handle games that handicap players of skill so as to allow lesser players to compete. It makes practicing and actually putting in effort pointless for me and drives me bat shit insane.

You haven't provided specific examples and evidence of how it's any more "not your fault" when you die in Splatoon 2 compared to 1.

It sounds to me like you got really good at the first game, and went into the sequel expecting to automatically be just as good without learning to master the tweaks to the formula. It's a very common occurrence with players of multiplayer franchises, it's happened with pretty much every new entry of COD since 2007, with people claiming with each new game that "COD is broken now". Doubtless when Smash on Switch launches it will be met with similar cries of how they killed Smash, it's unplayable now, etc.

Being good at one series entry doesn't guarantee you'll be just as good at subsequent entries without being adaptable.

curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

There's actually Japanese players on Splatoon 1 because it's not region locked and those guys don't fuck around so, overall, the players on the first game are definitely better.

And these "balanced and fixed" comments are bullshit (not you, but whoever says it is bullshitting). What they "balanced and fixed" was making the franchise more accessible and leveling the playing field. It's what Nintendo does. They release a game and then spend years tinkering with it until they find a formula where people of lesser or no skill can compete with people who are actually great... thus alienating the great players and forcing them to find something else to play.

When I play Splatoon 1, there is never a time where my experience and skill gets trumped by an in-game handicap. That is to say that every time I get taken down by another player, I feel like it was my fault. There is always a feeling of screwing up on my part. When I play Splatoon 2, on the other hand, it's almost constantly NOT my fault. The game was made that way. It's designed that way. And I just can't fucking take it. 

It's the same reason I just can't handle Mario Kart anymore. I can't handle games that handicap players of skill so as to allow lesser players to compete. It makes practicing and actually putting in effort pointless for me and drives me bat shit insane.

You haven't provided specific examples and evidence of how it's any more "not your fault" when you die in Splatoon 2 compared to 1.

It sounds to me like you got really good at the first game, and went into the sequel expecting to automatically be just as good without learning to master the tweaks to the formula. It's a very common occurrence with players of multiplayer franchises, it's happened with pretty much every new entry of COD since 2007, with people claiming with each new game that "COD is broken now". Doubtless when Smash on Switch launches it will be met with similar cries of how they killed Smash, it's unplayable now, etc.

Being good at one series entry doesn't guarantee you'll be just as good at subsequent entries without being adaptable.

Exactly. You know the guy is just a whiner when he starts saying its never his fault when he dies in Splatoon 2 haha. And there is nothing remotely like Mario Kart in Splatoon 2 for trying to level the playing field. Splatoon 2 doesn't give worse players awesome powerups haha, if it did I'd be a lot better at Splatoon 2! And even with Mario Kart if someone is significantly better they are gonna win almost everytime, even though the items are made to level the playing field.

Anyway, cool that Splatoon 2 has passed the original. I bet in a few years it'll trickle its way over 10 million.

If Nintendo supports it throughout the Switch's lifespan, then it has the potential to sell a nice chunk more than the original. The expansion DLC will probably help drive sales a bit.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
It's a shame because the first game is superior. I got frustrated again with the second game and went back to the first and won twenty straight matches, averaging probably 2,300 a match and an 8 k/d ratio. The sequel is gimped for skilled players. They're turning it into Mario Kart.

People still play Splatoon 1? Nice! I prefered the maps in 1 than 2.

2 is harder to me!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Miyamotoo said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
It's a shame because the first game is superior. I got frustrated again with the second game and went back to the first and won twenty straight matches, averaging probably 2,300 a match and an 8 k/d ratio. The sequel is gimped for skilled players. They're turning it into Mario Kart.

Its far more likely that most of skilled players are moved from Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2.

Jranation said: 
If Splatoon 3 does release next year, then the legs should start weakening.

There is no way we are getting Splatoon 3 next year or year later, its big question if Switch will get another Splatoon game.

Isnt the free updates going to stop soon? Like maybe after the dlc gets released? Because thats why I think we will get Splatoon 3 next year. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Lonely_Dolphin said:
AlfredoTurkey said: 

Splatoon 2 handicaps skilled players? Please explain. I don't see how getting splatted is any less your own fault in Splatoon 2 compared to the original.

I haven't played the 2nd one but judging by the gameplay maybe they're referring to the fact that the game is less balanced due to a wider variety of weapon options. I've watched a match of Splatoon 2 with a recently added map and a player was spamming with a certain gun and going close to the opposite team's spawn point. It wasn't effective but they managed to still get kills. I don't think you can just do something like that in Splatoon 1. 

I agree about the Mario Kart point though as I've actually played MK8. I don't understand why they got rid of wheelies, drifting on the spot, etc. Items are unreasonably balanced to the point where your skill on the track is hindered by item luck. I mean, you can get triple reds in like third place. There's no recovering frames when you get hit either, so you can get repeatedly demolished. As an MKWii player none of these problems existed. The only track that was garbage for competitive play was Luigi's Circuit. No skill required, all luck.

Meanwhile, in MK8 I can only find skill to be slightly favored in 200cc. But even then, 200cc is flawed since it functions horribly on a stage like Rainbow Road.

curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I don't want to get into specifics because then I'll spend days of my life arguing with people who feel the need to justify their purchases as if their life depends on it. But I DO have a list, and it's very valid. I know what I'm talking about here. The things they removed and the things they added were all done to aid worse players and level the playing field.

Jranation said:
Miyamotoo said:

Its far more likely that most of skilled players are moved from Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2.

There is no way we are getting Splatoon 3 next year or year later, its big question if Switch will get another Splatoon game.

Isnt the free updates going to stop soon? Like maybe after the dlc gets released? Because thats why I think we will get Splatoon 3 next year. 

I dont think that updates will stop soon, Splatoon is game like one game per console, similar like Smash Bros and Mario Kart and its obvous it will keep selling great in folowing years also, so like I wrote, there is no way we are getting Splatoon 3 next year or year later, its big question if Switch will get another Splatoon game at all.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 17 April 2018