By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer congrats God of War Developer

globalisateur said:
Kerotan said:
I'm gonna make a prediction. Phil Spencer will praise the last of us 2 and death stranding. Also ff7 remastered.

Won't he be retired when FF7 is finally released ?

:P

Nah he'll be working for Sony then. Agent Phil return to base. 

KLAMarine said:
BraLoD said:
Still spinnin'

Spinnin' what?

Spinning that Sony pr machine. Every little helps, and having the head of your rival praise your games is always a nice bonus. 

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Why does everyone seem surprised? He does this with a lot of Sony's exclusives launch. Sony did it a couple of times too IIRC.

Business as usual.

This.  I have seen Ms and Sony congratulating each other plenty of times.  The ones I have never seen congratulating anyone has been Nintendo. Maybe I missed it?

Bristow9091 said:
It's always nice when competing companies can still congratulate each other for their success or just get along in general, although it's a shame many "fans" can't be the same way, lol

"Get along"... It's PR. They are all friendly and smiling when they do PR, that's all. Spencer has already said in interviews some pretty bad things about Sony (don't remember what, but I remember a big thread about it), Sony surely did the same. And they try to steal games to each other basically all the time. 

They are enemies. They will smile together for the camera, sure, and send each other cute messages on Twitter, no problem. But they dream about putting the other guy jobless and will do whatever they can to that end.

Fans just don't have millions of people listening to what they're saying, or their job on the line, so can say whatever they want. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/984524286449795072

Shuhei yoshida replied by saying thanks.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Xen said:

To be frank, I much prefer the hostile executive to the friendly one - at least you know for sure that the hostile one is honest.

no the good physco exec still applauds greatness and rewards it. It is just that he also freaks the fuck out about just about anything else.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

God, the happy-go-lucky, circle jerk, fake PR bullshit is so... ugh. I miss the 16-bit wars and the PS1 vs N64 days.

Bristow9091 said:
It's always nice when competing companies can still congratulate each other for their success or just get along in general, although it's a shame many "fans" can't be the same way, lol

Aside from the games, do you know why books like Console Wars do so well and why that era is so talked about all the time and interesting? It's because it was all-out warfare! Those commercials where Crash is taunting "Plumber Boy" and telling him his days are over? Those things were fucking hilarious and entertaining. It got people talking. It was great entertainment. 

What we're seeing now is just... dull. There's nothing there. Just a bunch of fake smiles, shaking hands, trying to appear nicer than the next guy. It's enough to put a librarian to sleep. 

Give me the Nintendon't stuff any day of the week over "Wow, the new Zelda is just great guys. It's games like this that make me smile and are good for our industry. Golly fucking gee!" lol

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Just to clarify, I meant XB1 exclusives as in not available on PS4. Yes, I know that's not exactly what exclusive means, but I assumed everyone would know what I meant. 

But what are the more than 3-4 games? I guess if you count the yearly Forza releases you get up to eight or nine, but sports/racing games don't count, because I make the rules. :P 

I mean, when's the last time you saw a Playstation Fanboy list MLB The Show 13 to 17 in an exclusives debate? 

OK, so my assumption was correct:

Sunset Overdrive

Ori & The Blind Forest

Cuphead

Forza Horizon 3 (if we're only counting one Forza game)

Halo 5: Guardians

Gears of War 4

Quantum Break

Killer Instinct

Dead Rising 3

Halo Wars 2

ReCore

Rare Replay

Halo: Master Chief Collection

List like these are useless, really. Even if it can be agreed that a game is objectively well made quality-wise, people still have subjective tastes when it comes to games.

Take me for instance. Out of that list, only Ori & The Blind Forest is a game that I would buy. Maybe. If there wasn't anything else to play, and that's a rare occasion for me with the PS4 library. Same goes for Nintendo when it comes to my personal tastes. Many games with good quality, but nothing that I would ever buy.

Bandorr said:
Hiku said:
He usually gets backlash from certain portions of the Xbox community when he says these things.
Brb, grabbing some popcorn, and gonna check out the replies to his tweet.

Those are interesting comments. Although a set of them do leave me pondering.

One person says "why congratulate Sony on this when they didn't congratulate you on Sea of thieves".

With another responding "if they congratulated them on Sea of thieves it would have been seen as a joke. Like congratulating someone for getting a D on a test".

Thoughts? Should congratulations be limited to successes, or for anything?

Yes?

If you congratulate someone for something thats poorly done,... that does come off as "being mean" "playing a joke on" ect.

AlfredoTurkey said:
God, the happy-go-lucky, circle jerk, fake PR bullshit is so... ugh. I miss the 16-bit wars and the PS1 vs N64 days.

Back then they where brutal as f***... as a kid I remember looking at those slides/marketing/ads ect and just laughing.
Today Im not sure you could do the same, there would be a backlash probably.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 13 April 2018

JRPGfan said: 

AlfredoTurkey said:

Back then they where brutal as f***... as a kid I remember looking at those slides/marketing/ads ect and just laughing.
Today Im not sure you could do the same, there would be a backlash probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

You forgot that sometimes, some people can be brutal nowadays too ;) But it was short and one-sided...

Last edited by Faelco - on 13 April 2018