By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft look for redemption or will they hold off?

RolStoppable said:
Neither.

Microsoft is a company that has made moves that clearly suggest a lack of interest in selling as many consoles as possible. They have also shown no signs that they will budge an inch on their games as a service direction.

It's more likely that they put out a third Xbox One (as far as motherboards are concerned) in 2019/2020 than an Xbox 4.

Really? 

So all those skus and iterations of the 360 were just for show? Countless amounts of bundle packages.

They've released 3 iterations of this gen consoles and haven't showed any signs of slowing down when it comes to bundles.  You even said they're probably going to release another version of the 1.

Those aren't exactly indications of a company that isn't concerned with selling as many consoles as possible imo.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Around the Network

Unleash everything they have over the next couple of years, then launch a better spec'd box alongside PS5, priced similar if not less than PS5, and let third parties do most of the heavy lifting early on, assuming XB can lock up some exclusivity and marketing from them. I would assume this is what they will do if PS5 launches 2019 or 2020, somewhat similar to how the PS4 launch went. I see this leading to another gen similar to this one in terms of sales, with XB struggling to keep up.

If I were XB, I would take the extra time to make sure I've got the entire American military behind me before taking a jab at PS5, so wait until 2021. Get the first party titles out over the next couple of years and hold off PS4 as much as possible. Give enough time and build up their first party, add a new IP or two, and lock up as much third party exclusivity as possible. Make sure that 'XB2' has very solid and steady first party ready to go, strong affordable hardware, some AAA third party marketing, and gamer friendly PR on a level that 360 nor PS4 could touch. This is the general formula I think they need if they are going to try and give PS5 a run for it's money.

The longer PS5 is out before 'XB2', the worse it will most likely be for XB, but I don't see PS5 launching any earlier then a year in advance. If PS strongly feels like XB is going to wait, I can't believe they wouldn't be willing to give PS4 another year of sales, as long as they aren't declining too much, and as long as they can get PS5 out before 'XB2' if they want, which shouldn't be a problem if XB holds off until holiday 2021.

JRPGfan said:

They cant afford to give Sony a year headstart.  So if Sony launches in 2019.... so does MS.

But Sony isn't launching in 2019... 

JRPGfan said:
VGPolyglot said:
I hope that they release some more high-profile games on the Xbox One, they just released the X last year so they can't abandon it that quickly, can they?

They cant afford to give Sony a year headstart.
So if Sony launches in 2019.... so does MS.

It might "burn" a few xbox users, that just barely got their xbox one x (nov7 2017 = basically early 2018), but yeah......
they really cant afford to give PS5 a year alone on the market.

It would suck if you just spent 500$ on a xbox one x,
and year or two lateron, you ll have to buy a Xbox Two, but thats just how it goes.

Think of it like late comers to the WiiU party, those who bought the system late were sad that it got instantly abandoned when the Switch dropped and was a success, but at the same time sometimes you have to just agree that your console maker of choice has to make a decision to put their efforts into a place where more gamers are going to appreciate the work. Same as the Sony situation with dropping the Vita to focus 100% on the ps4's success.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Always these same four games. Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable.

MS is (still) ridiculously out of touch with the gaming market if they believe those games will make Xbox competitive again.

It makes me upset how you can mismanage a gaming division so badly. I don't think Microsoft knows what they want with Xbox anymore, and I don't think even Phil Spencer knows.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Always these same four games. Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable.

MS is (still) ridiculously out of touch with the gaming market if they believe those games will make Xbox competitive again.

It makes me upset how you can mismanage a gaming division so badly. I don't think Microsoft knows what they want with Xbox anymore, and I don't think even Phil Spencer knows.

Fable isn't even a thing anymore.

Anyways to OP.... hold off what? They literally don't habe anything to hold off. They are barely holding on as it is; now u want them to hols off the very little they have?

Kerotan said:

Was thinking about this a lot lately. At this point of last gen Sony had started pumping out quality exclusives which won gamers back on their side. It was also around now that they'd had to decide will they release one last wave of games on the ps3 or hold them off for next gen. They chose to go ahead and release gran turismo 6, uncharted 3, god of war ascension, the last of us etc pretty late on the ps3. 

Now what will Microsoft do. Their next gen console is probably 2 to 3 years away. Do they pump out another halo, another gears, a few more forzas and maybe even fable over the next 2 years or so on xbox one? Or will they hold off, give the developers more time to perfect and then unleash a bombardment of AAA titles for the xbox 2's first year and launch window.

It's hard to know what to do but if they have all their games releasing on xbox one over its last 2 years it's going to be hard to create a top class line up for their next console. What would you do and what do you think they will do? 

I have no idea what you're talking about with the whole "PS3 won gamers back on their side". The 360 not only beat the PS3 in the US, it beat the Wii. lol Sony never caught back up where I live anyway. 

If they want redemption from me, they need to start bringing the goods.

That is... 1440P support, that is exclusives, that is a UI that isn't a convoluted mess.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The XB1 is so lackluster, games wise, compared to the 360 (just my opinion).

The 360 was a beast in its first few years....Gears, Bioshock, Mass Effect,Dead Rising, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Halo 3 (back then Gears ruled the TPS scene and Halo was still very much relevant), Ninja Gaiden 2, etc...some of these games you couldn´t get on PS3 until much later..not to mention generally having the superior version of multiplat games compared to the PS3.

There was passion for that system, the XB1 just feels soulless in comparison.

celador said:
"they said their idea of generations were over anyway."

I've noticed that they seem to have stopped saying that.  They haven't come out and said that they changed their minds.  I just haven't heard it mentioned in a while.  Makes me wonder if they're reconsidering.