By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NIS Apologizes for Seemingly Negative Comments Towards PS4

NIS America president Takuro Yamashita has issued an apology regarding comments made in the MCV April 2018 issue article “Switching Gear” (available here, page 38). 

In the article, Yamashita made the following comments:

MCV: You are working much closer with Nintendo recently. How did that come about and what benefits have you seen as a company?

Yamashita: “I’ll give you a scoop! Originally we signed with SNK on SNK Heroines just on the PlayStation 4 format. Then last year and opportunity happened at Gamescom, two third-parties happened to meet all together outside Nintendo’s meeting room. The first meeting was between NIS America and Nintendo of Europe, and the next meeting was between SNK and Nintendo of Europe. Of course, these two were separate meetings. Then after their meeting, influential people from SNK came to our booth and said: ‘Hey, Mr. Yamashita, is it possible to cancel our contract on PlayStation 4? Nintendo wants to work on this title on an exclusive basis!’ So these third parties come together and the team at NIS and SNK decided to go with Nintendo for the western market. Physical copy-wise, it’s going to be a Switch exclusive. PlayStation 4-wise, it’s going to be just digital. That’s the deal. We will not release a packaged version for the PlayStation 4 format. Then Nintendo will act as a distributor for this game. Then they promised to buy a lot of units. I can’t reveal the number of units they’ve guaranteed, that’s secret talk.”

MCV: What is your strategy for Europe moving forwards?

Yamashita: “For the JRPG market, the biggest country is France, so most of our key titles, such as Ys VIII and the Disgaea series, we localize the game in French to get in a much better position in Europe, because the French market is the biggest for JRPG titles. We’re starting to do more on Nintendo Switch. SNK Heroines is not the only one. We’ve teamed up with Nintendo Europe for our other Switch titles. They support is in a good way. Compared to that, Sony is not friendly with small publishers likes us. They just care about big Japanese companies. Also, if we simultaneously release a Switch version and a PlayStation 4 version of the same title, currently the sales trend is two to one. That means the Switch version sells twice as much as the PlayStation 4 version. Physically and digitally. A lot of PlayStation 4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money.”

And here is today’s apology:

“I must extend my most heartfelt apology to SNK and Sony Interactive Entertainment. The truth is that the Nintendo Switch exclusive plan was originally decided by NIS America, and only later among discussions with influential SNK people did we decide the best option moving forward would be to have as much exposure as possible. This is why that in the end, we are bringing the PS4 version of SNK Heroines to the market, and even supported this version at the NISA Press Event and in the press meetings in February and March.

In discussing matters with MCV, I thought that some insider information would make them interested in the overall conversation, and such lip service did not stand on the side of truth.

Once again, I apologize to SNK and Sony if it made them seem negative towards the PS4 platform in any way, and stress that the original goal of a “Nintendo Switch exclusive” version of SNK Heroines came from NISA.”

Takuro Yamashita
CEO and President of NIS America, Inc.

Source: https://gematsu.com/2018/04/nis-america-apologizes-for-seemingly-negative-comments-towards-ps4#41A3iCQcA1ak7Dhv.99

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

No one should eve have to apologize really. Because we all know the thing you're apologizing for is how you really feel. You may be sorry for vocalizing it but it's been in your head this whole time.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

FentonCrackshell said:
No one should eve have to apologize really. Because we all know the thing you're apologizing for is how you really feel. You may be sorry for vocalizing it but it's been in your head this whole time.

He gave a wrong information to the journalists, which put one of his business partners in a pretty bad position toward the market leader.

So yeah, it's better for him and his partner if he apologizes and give the true story.

Mmmmmmoron.

twintail said:

It sounds like he's apologising for making it seem like SNK made the initial idea to jump to a switch version with a nintendo paid switch disc exclusive, when it was NISA who were the real movers.

Basically fixing a problem btw SNK and Sony he created with his original answer.

In other words, he's apologizing to SNK first and foremost - they don't want to lose business, after all.

Kyuu said:

Yamashita is lying now. What he disclosed earlier was clearly the truth.

"Then after their meeting, influential people from SNK came to our booth and said: ‘Hey, Mr. Yamashita, is it possible to cancel our contract on PlayStation 4? Nintendo wants to work on this title on an exclusive basis!’ So these third parties come together and the team at NIS and SNK decided to go with Nintendo for the western market."

He either blatantly lied by making up stories, or told the truth of how it went.

In either case, we can see just how incompetent NISA can get - just look at them managing to get into a PR disaster where any move is the wrong move!

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network

SNK Heroines isnt getting a physical release...... BECAUSE NINTENDO PAID THEM NOT TO DO SO!?

"Nintendo wants to work on this title on an exclusive basis!’ So these third parties come together and the team at NIS and SNK decided to go with Nintendo for the western market. Physical copy-wise, it’s going to be a Switch exclusive. PlayStation 4-wise, it’s going to be just digital. "

It sounds like it right? They had a deal with Sony to make it, but instead of honoring it, they twisted it around to "just digital" because Nintendo wanted a exclusive deal (which they couldnt give them) but instead say "it ll be physical release exclusive to switch".

Also while Britain has questionable taste levels in games, its good to hear the French have great ones (jrpgs) apparently :)

User moderated - Aura7541

Last edited by Aura7541 - on 11 April 2018

Sometimes a problem is best ignored and as a consequence quickly forgotten .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

JRPGfan said:

SNK Heroines isnt getting a physical release...... BECAUSE NINTENDO PAID THEM NOT TO DO SO!?

"Nintendo wants to work on this title on an exclusive basis!’ So these third parties come together and the team at NIS and SNK decided to go with Nintendo for the western market. Physical copy-wise, it’s going to be a Switch exclusive. PlayStation 4-wise, it’s going to be just digital. "

It sounds like it right? They had a deal with Sony to make it, but instead of honoring it, they twisted it around to "just digital" because Nintendo wanted a exclusive deal (which they couldnt give them) but instead say "it ll be physical release exclusive to switch".

Also while Britain has questionable taste levels in games, its good to hear the French have great ones (jrpgs) apparently :)

Don't see a reason to apologize for they taking a business decision that they think is better for them... but I'm surprised they have a 2:1 even within small userbase, but as they said that is because there is a lot more competition for the dollars on PS4 at the moment. Wish them a good game and sales even if I'm not interested in the title in question.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:

Is Nintendo getting into the definition war with MS?? Now we are going to heave "SNK Heroines exclusive in Nintendo.........cartridge version"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."