By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disgaea 5 Switch has outsold the PS4 version and some interesting tidbits about SNK Heroines marketing

pokoko said:
Wow, that's kind of messed up. It's informative to read the truth about these kinds of negotiations but they really make you realize that it's the consumer who gets screwed over.

They break a contract then enter into a deal that prohibits them from releasing physical copies on another platform? This was one of my favorite companies and now this guy has peeled back the curtain to show us that they're just as greedy as everyone else.

Not just that, either, it's also how euphoric he is about it. Probably thinking about all the extra hostess club trips this can buy.

It's like when I learned the truth about the Easter Bunny all over again.

As I said before, that's incorrect information. The PS4 version does have a physical release:

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
pokoko said:
Wow, that's kind of messed up. It's informative to read the truth about these kinds of negotiations but they really make you realize that it's the consumer who gets screwed over.

They break a contract then enter into a deal that prohibits them from releasing physical copies on another platform? This was one of my favorite companies and now this guy has peeled back the curtain to show us that they're just as greedy as everyone else.

Not just that, either, it's also how euphoric he is about it. Probably thinking about all the extra hostess club trips this can buy.

It's like when I learned the truth about the Easter Bunny all over again.

As I said before, that's incorrect information. The PS4 version does have a physical release:

$120?  Same difference as not having one.  I'm sure as hell not paying that.  They can fuck off.

If NIS could release their games or have a proper translation for YsVIII it may have been different.

Switch is also new and people want games to play on it. It makes sense these games would sell on this system of 1 year rather than 1 of 4.

pokoko said:
VGPolyglot said:

$120?  Same difference as not having one.  I'm sure as hell not paying that.  They can fuck off.

Indeed. Seeing it made me happy for a second, but with that price, yeah...

I'd imagine the Touhou games are doing much better on Switch. I always thought those would take off on a solid handheld system.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
ryuzaki57 said:

So basically they admit giving Playstation players (who've supported them for more than 10 years) second fiddle because Nintendo will overship the Switch version to maximize their profits.

Sounds like it's due to some titles selling better on NS than PS...

No, it's clearly written that the decisive factor was Nintendo promising to buy lots of stock.

ryuzaki57 said: No consideration for the consumer at all.

How do you mean?

I mean that they care more about how much subsidies they will get from Nintendo rather than focusing on delivering a great product that people will like and buy.

Azuren said:
I just realized that he is quite literally saying what I've been saying for a while now (prior to this, I mean, not in this thread):

PS4 is practically bogged down with high-caliber games, making competition fierce. The Switch on the other hand... Well, he said it, not me.

I don't recall Yamashita commenting on the quality of PS4 games...

ryuzaki57 said:
KLAMarine said:

Sounds like it's due to some titles selling better on NS than PS...

No, it's clearly written that the decisive factor was Nintendo promising to buy lots of stock.

Not sure I'd call it decisive. Sounds like there were other factors at play as well:

"We’re starting to do more on Nintendo Switch. SNK Heroines is not the only one. They support us in a good way. Compared to that, Sony is not friendly with small publishers like us. They just care about big Japanese companies. Also, if we simultaneously release a Switch version and a PS4 version of the same title, currently the sales trend is two to one. That means the Switch version sells twice as much as the PS4 version. Physically and digitally. A lot of PS4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money."

I count three potential factors in this quote.

ryuzaki57 said: 

I mean that they care more about how much subsidies they will get from Nintendo rather than focusing on delivering a great product that people will like and buy.

How are you measuring the level of focus being dedicated towards game quality?

KLAMarine said:
Azuren said:
I just realized that he is quite literally saying what I've been saying for a while now (prior to this, I mean, not in this thread):

PS4 is practically bogged down with high-caliber games, making competition fierce. The Switch on the other hand... Well, he said it, not me.

He didn't, but he mentioned a competitive market. So he's interested in Switch because of less competition, which would imply the Switch has a shortage of games, less good games, or a combination of the two.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
KLAMarine said:

He didn't, but he mentioned a competitive market. So he's interested in Switch because of less competition, which would imply the Switch has a shortage of games, less good games, or a combination of the two.

Or perhaps Switch owners have more money to spend on individual games? I imagine a larger share of the Switch's library is priced cheaper at launch than PS4's library of games? On average, Switch has less titles priced $60 and, given its portability, humbler titles with humbler budgets and humbler price tags seem more attractive for the platform?

Celeste may not be as graphically impressive as Far Cry 5 but Celeste didn't cost me $60 either and I can fit in the purchase of other titles alongside it...

We can slice this cake in many ways.

KLAMarine said:
Azuren said:

Or perhaps Switch owners have more money to spend on individual games? I imagine a larger share of the Switch's library is priced cheaper at launch than PS4's library of games? On average, Switch has less titles priced $60 and, given its portability, humbler titles with humbler budgets and humbler price tags seem more attractive for the platform?

Celeste may not be as graphically impressive as Far Cry 5 but Celeste didn't cost me $60 either and I can fit in the purchase of other titles alongside it...

We can slice this cake in many ways.

Except he specifically said competition on PS4. Not sure how that equates to Switch owners having more money or Switch games costing less (which is bogus, since PS4 has a pretty healthy indie scene as well).

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames