By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disgaea 5 Switch has outsold the PS4 version and some interesting tidbits about SNK Heroines marketing

Azuren said:
KLAMarine said:

Or perhaps Switch owners have more money to spend on individual games? I imagine a larger share of the Switch's library is priced cheaper at launch than PS4's library of games? On average, Switch has less titles priced $60 and, given its portability, humbler titles with humbler budgets and humbler price tags seem more attractive for the platform?

Celeste may not be as graphically impressive as Far Cry 5 but Celeste didn't cost me $60 either and I can fit in the purchase of other titles alongside it...

We can slice this cake in many ways.

Except he specifically said competition on PS4. Not sure how that equates to Switch owners having more money or Switch games costing less (which is bogus, since PS4 has a pretty healthy indie scene as well).

Switch games costing less on average since the PS4 likely has a higher number of $60 titles in its library... Though on second thought, the number of indie titles on PS4 priced under $60 is likely larger as well. The PS4 has been around longer after all.

Whatever the case, I still don't see Yamashita making any implication with regards to quality in the paragraphs from the OP. Just competitiveness.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Complains about Sony's unfriendliness... Proudly admits NIS is fucking over Playstation gamers out of pure greed.

I wonder if Nintendo's given him an earful for possibly disclosing more info than he should have lol.

I'm not so sure they're, as you put it, 'fucking over' PlayStation gamers. It may sound like it judging by

"PS4-wise it’s going to be just digital. That’s the deal. We will not release a packaged version for PS4 format"

but there also appears to be a collector's edition as well...

VGPolyglot said:
pokoko said:
Wow, that's kind of messed up. It's informative to read the truth about these kinds of negotiations but they really make you realize that it's the consumer who gets screwed over.

They break a contract then enter into a deal that prohibits them from releasing physical copies on another platform? This was one of my favorite companies and now this guy has peeled back the curtain to show us that they're just as greedy as everyone else.

Not just that, either, it's also how euphoric he is about it. Probably thinking about all the extra hostess club trips this can buy.

It's like when I learned the truth about the Easter Bunny all over again.

As I said before, that's incorrect information. The PS4 version does have a physical release:

Odd...

Kyuu said:
KLAMarine said:

I'm not so sure they're, as you put it, 'fucking over' PlayStation gamers. It may sound like it judging by

"PS4-wise it’s going to be just digital. That’s the deal. We will not release a packaged version for PS4 format"

but there also appears to be a collector's edition as well...

Odd...

Don't read much into the hyperbole. But:

"So these third parties come together and the team at NIS and SNK decided to go with Nintendo for the western market. Physical copy-wise, it’s going to be a Switch exclusive. PS4-wise it’s going to be just digital. That’s the deal."

The physical release VGPolyglot referred to probably comes in a very limited quantity, and costs double the standard price. Or else Yamashita isn't making sense.

Yes, it is a limited release, but I just wanted to clarify that a physical release does indeed exist, not sure why he said it's just going to be digital when it's not true.

I find the outrage at the deal with Nintendo a bit hypocritical and insincere, to be honest, when no one seems to mind that it was stated in the article there was previously a deal with Sony and that the game was PS4 only originally. I'm not sure if console exclusivity WAS the deal, but it just shows that all companies use similar tactics. People only get mad when it's not their company/console of choice.

KLAMarine said:
Azuren said:

Except he specifically said competition on PS4. Not sure how that equates to Switch owners having more money or Switch games costing less (which is bogus, since PS4 has a pretty healthy indie scene as well).

Switch games costing less on average since the PS4 likely has a higher number of $60 titles in its library... Though on second thought, the number of indie titles on PS4 priced under $60 is likely larger as well. The PS4 has been around longer after all.

Whatever the case, I still don't see Yamashita making any implication with regards to quality in the paragraphs from the OP. Just competitiveness.

Pretty sure I already conceded that he didn't say quality. You have yet to admit he wasn't talking about pricing, though.

And of course the average is higher on PS4, there are a lot more AAA titles. There are also significantly more indie titles under $10, and the sales on PSN are much deeper than anything I've personally witnessed on Switch.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Brii said:
I find the outrage at the deal with Nintendo a bit hypocritical and insincere, to be honest, when no one seems to mind that it was stated in the article there was previously a deal with Sony and that the game was PS4 only originally. I'm not sure if console exclusivity WAS the deal, but it just shows that all companies use similar tactics. People only get mad when it's not their company/console of choice.

No one cares about publishers shafting platforms other than their favorite.  Shoot, some people spend considerable energy championing publishers screwing over other platforms and "staying loyal".  And defend things like Sony money hatting Street Fighter V.

Reality is it is all bullshit and anticonsumer.  Every healthy platform with a vibrant ecosystem should get every multiplat that it can reasonably run.  End of story.  But people are more concerned about their little console wars than what is actually pro-consumer.

I mean I can think of a few people *in this very thread* who right now are shaking their fists in righteous indignation that if the statement had come out and said "well we were thinking about a Switch version and Nintendo offered to help but then Sony promised to buy a lot of physical copies and act as distributor so it's going to be digital only on Switch" they would be nodding their heads at how very wise that is or even applauding them for staying loyal and telling Switch owners to quit bitching.  I know this because at least a couple have *said as much in other threads*.  

Azuren said:
KLAMarine said:

Pretty sure I already conceded that he didn't say quality.

Indeed, you did.

Azuren said:

You have yet to admit he wasn't talking about pricing, though.

I'm not 100% sure he wasn't: "A lot of PS4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money."

You make reference to deeper sales on PSN versus the Switch as well.

Azuren said:

And of course the average is higher on PS4, there are a lot more AAA titles. There are also significantly more indie titles under $10, and the sales on PSN are much deeper than anything I've personally witnessed on Switch.

Maybe Yamashita was thinking about this as well?..

*shrugs*

KLAMarine said:
Azuren said:

Pretty sure I already conceded that he didn't say quality.

Indeed, you did.

Azuren said:

You have yet to admit he wasn't talking about pricing, though.

I'm not 100% sure he wasn't: "A lot of PS4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money."

Azuren said:

*shrugs*

If we're going to argue what we think he meant, stick to that.

But if we're going to argue what he said verbatim, then stick with that.

You can't say "He never said that, but here's my interpretation:"

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Farsala said:
Where does it say Disgaea 5 NS version outsold PS4 version?

It doesn't. He did say that it doubled the PS4 version in the West though.

Edit: I see I misread that like most of the people in the thread. Disgaea 5 Switch has sold very well for them though. It'll likely never outsell the PS4 version completely worldwide, but NISA is obviously betting on Switch over Playstation.

Also, I wanted to note that this is NISA talking, who is primarily a localization studio not an actual developer. They're not the ones deciding where Disgaea 6 or any NIS properties are developed for. Only for the titles they wish to port over themselves.

Last edited by outlawauron - on 09 April 2018

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Azuren said:
KLAMarine said:

Indeed, you did.

*shrugs*

If we're going to argue what we think he meant, stick to that.

But if we're going to argue what he said verbatim, then stick with that.

?

Azuren said:

You can't say "He never said that, but here's my interpretation:"

...I don't think I ever said that he never said something.