By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disgaea 5 Switch has outsold the PS4 version and some interesting tidbits about SNK Heroines marketing

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

It would be stupid to look back on the industry leader with contempt and not release games on their platform. 

Don't worry man, I am sure that is not happening. 

Worst case scenario he can just buy the games on PC (NIS America has been porting the entire series to PC lately) and in the not too distant future the games will come to mobile as well so that people will also have the proclaimed ability to play in a portable fashion just like the Switch/Vita ...  

I can see it right now that a turn-based JRPG's cash cow strategy will become this, first release the game on home systems then re-release the game again on portable systems so that people can buy it again to have it anywhere ...

Around the Network

So basically they admit giving Playstation players (who've supported them for more than 10 years) second fiddle because Nintendo will overship the Switch version to maximize their profits. What kind of publisher is this? No consideration for the consumer at all.

Farsala said: 
piggychan said:  Also, if we simultaneously release a Switch version and a PS4 version of the same title, currently the sales trend is two to one. That means the Switch version sells twice as much as the PS4 version. Physically and digitally. A lot of PS4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money.”

Which he is talking about SNK Heroines. But besides that , the PS4 version of Disgaea 5 obviously didn't release at the same time as the Switch version.

No he isn't. For the simple reason that SNK Heroines hasn't sold a single copy yet.

Last edited by ryuzaki57 - on 08 April 2018

ryuzaki57 said:

So basically they admit giving Playstation players (who've supported them for more than 10 years) second fiddle because Nintendo will overship the Switch version to maximize their profits. What kind of publisher is this? No consideration for the consumer at all.

Farsala said: 

Which he is talking about SNK Heroines. But besides that , the PS4 version of Disgaea 5 obviously didn't release at the same time as the Switch version.

No he isn't. For the simple reason that SNK Heroines hasn't sold a single copy yet. There hasn't be a simultaneous release yet. He's making up things to justify his anti-PS politic.

That's just the way the gaming industry works, to be honest. Companies make deals with other companies.

ryuzaki57 said:

Farsala said: 

No he isn't. For the simple reason that SNK Heroines hasn't sold a single copy yet. There hasn't be a simultaneous release yet. He's making up things to justify his anti-PS politic.

Dont spread fake news man. NISA already released one game simultaneous on ps4 and switch its name is Touhou KobutoV: Burst Battle. So...

Source: http://nisamerica.com/games-us

solo se hablar español

ryuzaki57 said:

So basically they admit giving Playstation players (who've supported them for more than 10 years) second fiddle because Nintendo will overship the Switch version to maximize their profits.

Sounds like it's due to some titles selling better on NS than PS...

"currently the sales trend is two to one. That means the Switch version sells twice as much as the PS4 version. Physically and digitally. A lot of PS4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money."

ryuzaki57 said:

What kind of publisher is this?

One that cares about profit?

ryuzaki57 said:

No consideration for the consumer at all.

How do you mean?

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Then after their meeting influential people from SNK came to our booth and said: ‘Hey Mr. Yamashita, is it possible to cancel our contact on PS4? Nintendo wants to work on this title on an exclusive basis!’

So these third parties come together and the team at NIS and SNK decided to go with Nintendo for the western market. Physical copy-wise, it’s going to be a Switch exclusive. PS4-wise it’s going to be just digital. That’s the deal. We will not release a packaged version for PS4 format. Then Nintendo will act as a distributor for this game. Then they promised to buy a lot of units. I can’t reveal the number of units they’ve guaranteed, that’s secret talk.”

I was actually under the impression that it was illegal to do things that way (in Japan?), but now I want to look more into that.
Anyway, that's not the most interesting thing here. I'm a little bit surprised that Nintendo wanted to do an exclusivity deal for a game like SNK Heroines.

“We’re starting to do more on Nintendo Switch. SNK Heroines is not the only one. They support us in a good way. Compared to that, Sony is not friendly with small publishers like us. They just care about big Japanese companies."

I wonder what exactly he means by "friendly" here. In context it sounds like offers regarding exclusivity/publishing deals.
While I guess that's a negative from the perspective of a developer/publisher, I think it's a good thing for gamers overall that one console developer doesn't hog too many exclusives to themselves that way. But I can see why smaller publishers would want those deals, same as some of the bigger ones.

Well, I noticed an error too, in that the PS4 version is getting a physical release. It's just that it's only available as a collector's edition.

I don’t think Sony gives a rat’s ass about any of this. Despite its parent company, PlayStation has clearly become a western-focused brand, and it’s pretty obvious at this point that Japanese support is just an addition to the overall product. The only real exceptions are the Japanese devs/ publishers that have more of a presence outside of Japan.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

I find it interesting that Nintendo wanted to do a deal with SN Heroines. It doesn't seem like it's going to be a big selling game or the sort, and the title is a bit more risque compared to Nintendo's more family friendly look. I guess they want to expand the type of games on their platform...?

Also, it sounds odd to hear that comment about Sony. It seemed like the opposite before, with Sony being more open developers, especially the little guys and indies. I suppose that could happen when the platform gets so big. Hopefully that doesn't happen with Nintendo if the Switch continues to grow that largely.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I just realized that he is quite literally saying what I've been saying for a while now (prior to this, I mean, not in this thread):

PS4 is practically bogged down with high-caliber games, making competition fierce. The Switch on the other hand... Well, he said it, not me.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Wow, that's kind of messed up. It's informative to read the truth about these kinds of negotiations but they really make you realize that it's the consumer who gets screwed over.

They break a contract then enter into a deal that prohibits them from releasing physical copies on another platform? This was one of my favorite companies and now this guy has peeled back the curtain to show us that they're just as greedy as everyone else.

Not just that, either, it's also how euphoric he is about it. Probably thinking about all the extra hostess club trips this can buy.

It's like when I learned the truth about the Easter Bunny all over again.