By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disgaea 5 Switch has outsold the PS4 version and some interesting tidbits about SNK Heroines marketing

OTBWY said:
Xen said:
"Sony doesn't care about small pubs like us"
...meanwhile most of their games as of the recent 5 years were on Sony platforms.

Yeah, but imagine not releasing on Sony platforms outright. What are the consequences of dissing one of the big companies. Especially considering their long history. However, it could still mean that Sony is treating them like crap in favour of bigger companies.

Well, ultimately, it is all a deal of money. If they were not making enough of it, they would double down on other viable platforms, say, the 3DS. Long history IS a factor of course, but ultimately, it couldn't have been too bad considering how well NIS supported the Vita - frequently with exclusives!

Technical details were not their games' forté either, so supporting Vita over 3DS was a calculated choice for the company. I don't mean that they should have made 3DS exclusives instead, but I do mean they could have done multiplats.

Hence, it is a bit of an odd statement... but good on Nintendo for stepping up.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
"They support us in a good way. Compared to that, Sony is not friendly with small publishers like us. They just care about big Japanese companies.""

Very surprising statement. Does this mean Sony in Japan only? I was under the impression that Sony had a very good relationship with smaller publishers. It seems a bit alarming.

I am guessing he could be referring Sony's treatment of the Vita, especially in Japan. 

Like the Vita has basically been discontinued at this point and it won't be getting anymore free PS+ games in less then a year from now. 

Yet there are publishers like NIS who found bigger success on Vita then PS4 and with the Vita being so dead to the point its not even selling okay in Japan anymore and with the lack of a successor in sight, its easy to see why NIS feels a bit abandon by Sony.

Farsala said:
Where does it say Disgaea 5 NS version outsold PS4 version?

"Also, if we simultaneously release a Switch version and a PS4 version of the same title, currently the sales trend is two to one. That means the Switch version sells twice as much as the PS4 version. Physically and digitally. A lot of PS4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money.”

Much less competition on the Switch, is what they believe leads them to more sales.
That and some PS4 users, double-dip and rebuy it on the Switch, for the portability, so overall it ends up selling more there.

Okay, I'm going to ask a quick question here.
Is the Vita game cart limit really 1 GB? I could've sworn that bigger games were released on the Vita during its life cycle.

In any case, it looks like we've also found our answer for why the new SNK collection is currently a Switch exclusive - that is, negotiations between NoE and SNK. I'd be really amused if NoE was a lot more proactive in this case than NoA and NoJ (you know, with the whole Europe clamping down on risqué titles thing going on)

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

animegaming said:
OTBWY said:
"They support us in a good way. Compared to that, Sony is not friendly with small publishers like us. They just care about big Japanese companies.""

Very surprising statement. Does this mean Sony in Japan only? I was under the impression that Sony had a very good relationship with smaller publishers. It seems a bit alarming.

I am guessing he could be referring Sony's treatment of the Vita, especially in Japan. 

Like the Vita has basically been discontinued at this point and it won't be getting anymore free PS+ games in less then a year from now. 

Yet there are publishers like NIS who found bigger success on Vita then PS4 and with the Vita being so dead to the point its not even selling okay in Japan anymore and with the lack of a successor in sight, its easy to see why NIS feels a bit abandon by Sony.

^ this.

These dev's who's bread & butter is on portables, and Sony not makeing a new handheld, is forceing them to go to Nintendo Switch.

Around the Network
Xen said:
OTBWY said:

Yeah, but imagine not releasing on Sony platforms outright. What are the consequences of dissing one of the big companies. Especially considering their long history. However, it could still mean that Sony is treating them like crap in favour of bigger companies.

Well, ultimately, it is all a deal of money. If they were not making enough of it, they would double down on other viable platforms, say, the 3DS. Long history IS a factor of course, but ultimately, it couldn't have been too bad considering how well NIS supported the Vita - frequently with exclusives!

Technical details were not their games' forté either, so supporting Vita over 3DS was a calculated choice for the company. I don't mean that they should have made 3DS exclusives instead, but I do mean they could have done multiplats.

Hence, it is a bit of an odd statement... but good on Nintendo for stepping up.

Yes and no. Sure money is at the center of all this, but let's not forget the fact that these are Japanese companies, who do business differently and mainly based on respect, good relations etc etc. Sony has a lot of influence, they kept good relations from the PS1 days when Nintendo was probably not on good terms with everyone. Now that A: Nintendo has changed to some degree and B: Sony is on an equal level now in Japan, things like this might happen. These are just thoughts, but like I said, it is still surprising to me.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Okay, I'm going to ask a quick question here.
Is the Vita game cart limit really 1 GB? I could've sworn that bigger games were released on the Vita during its life cycle.

In any case, it looks like we've also found our answer for why the new SNK collection is currently a Switch exclusive - that is, negotiations between NoE and SNK.

Some Vita games are like 3gb+ so that cant be right.

animegaming said:
OTBWY said:

That's actually a really good point. Perhaps Sony promised these smaller publishers the world with the Vita, yet, Sony did dissappoint in pushing/supporting the system more, ergo sidelining smaller publishers with their Vita games.

Another interpretation of the good sales of Disgaea 5 Complete could be the rise in the number of fans of the SRPG genre on Nintendo platforms, owing to the success of the 3DS Fire Emblem games at reaching (and retaining) a wider audience of players. Considering how we were promised a Fire Emblem game on the Switch even before the formal launch of the Switch itself, I'd say that some of those fans bought a Switch earlier as a result and were able to buy (quite literally) the only big SRPG on the platform for months - Disgaea 5 Complete.
I have only anecdotal evidence from this forum to back me up, but it ought to be interesting to see whether the success of Fire Emblem has, indeed, raised the sales potential of SRPGs as a whole - which I do hope for.

*sneakily begs people to buy more SRPGs on any platform*

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

animegaming said:

Yamashita stated:

“For Disgaea 5, Switch sold very well. It sold just under 200k units in the west. Maybe 40 percent of these people already have the PS4 version. Why do they buy the same game again? Because it’s the function of a handheld that the Switch has. And Sony decided to withdraw from the PS Vita market. The memory size limitation of the Vita is just one gigabyte, right? But Disgaea is 8 GB. So Disgaea fans want to play on a handheld, but there is no handheld Disgaea 5 on a Sony format. So this is a perfect platform. We can play at home and we can play outside using the handheld function of the Switch. That is why the Nintendo Switch platform is growing naturally.”

Just one Gigabyte? He should know better, since Disgaea 4 on Vita is 3.3 GB big.

Phantasy Star Online 2 on Vita is 15 GB, Disgaea 5 on PS4 is 10.3 GB and Disgaea 5 on Switch is 6.7 GB.

There may be other limitations on Vita (RAM, processing power)... but the file size ain't one of them.