By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disgaea 5 Switch has outsold the PS4 version and some interesting tidbits about SNK Heroines marketing

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Faelco said:

Remember, it was the exact same thing in the first couple of years on the PS4. When a console doesn't have a lot of games yet, the companies are very friendly with small publishers able to release smaller games more quickly on the systems. When big publishers take over and you have a steady flow of big games on the console, the sales of the smaller titles become less important and so the relations between them also become less important. IIRC Sony said clearly last year something like "Now, indie titles are less important to us than at launch". If the Switch finally gets better third party support, in a couple of years a lot of small publishers will say this exact same thing about Nintendo.

Yeah, I was just joking.

I had my doubts ^^

It will be my answer to the OP interview anyway!

Around the Network
Faelco said:

Yeah, I was just joking.

I had my doubts ^^

It will be my answer to the OP interview anyway!

Well, sorry I made you write so much : D All I can offer when it comes to topical discussion is this ... 

I think it will be very interesting to see if the Switch gets enough third party support to cancel out indie game importance. I think more than likely the Switch version of indie games will continue to sell better than the PS4 versions, but I don't know if it will be the mini-phenomenon it is now. I obviously don't think NIS means anything personal with what they said, they're just a business and their nicher titles will probably sell better on a system with less third party support than on a system with more competition. That's just bound to happen. Makes me wonder if games like Etrian Odyssey will come to PS4 or not. 

Well, sorry I made you write so much : D All I can offer when it comes to topical discussion is this ... 

I think it will be very interesting to see if the Switch gets enough third party support to cancel out indie game importance. I think more than likely the Switch version of indie games will continue to sell better than the PS4 versions, but I don't know if it will be the mini-phenomenon it is now. I obviously don't think NIS means anything personal with what they said, they're just a business and their nicher titles will probably sell better on a system with less third party support than on a system with more competition. That's just bound to happen. Makes me wonder if games like Etrian Odyssey will come to PS4 or not. 

Nah, they announced their next entry on the 3DS ... 

PS4 and Switch are extremely unattractive platforms for low end game development compared to the 3DS ... 

Customers keep raising their quality expectations as they move on to stronger systems so indies arguably aren't cutting it anymore when it's hard for them to stand out. Indies were largely irrelevant for the PS4 even at the beginning of it's life cycle because in reality cross gen games mattered more for it's hardware sales at the beginning. I imagine a somewhat similar scenario would've played out with the Switch where first party games were of utter importance ... 

fatslob-:O said:

Nah, they announced their next entry on the 3DS ... 

PS4 and Switch are extremely unattractive platforms for low end game development compared to the 3DS ... 

Customers keep raising their quality expectations as they move on to stronger systems so indies arguably aren't cutting it anymore when it's hard for them to stand out. Indies were largely irrelevant for the PS4 even at the beginning of it's life cycle because in reality cross gen games mattered more for it's hardware sales at the beginning. I imagine a somewhat similar scenario would've played out with the Switch where first party games were of utter importance ... 

I know the next one is going to be on 3DS but I meant when they eventually move on from that platform. 

I think the game will probably stay Nintendo exclusive just because of the lower standards involved, but I more so mean games of that caliber of budget. 

I know the next one is going to be on 3DS but I meant when they eventually move on from that platform. 

I think the game will probably stay Nintendo exclusive just because of the lower standards involved, but I more so mean games of that caliber of budget. 

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they could target mobile platforms as well! Android/iOS is slowly becoming a haven for lower standard turn-based JRPG franchises like Etrian Odyssey ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they could target mobile platforms as well! Android/iOS is slowly becoming a haven for lower standard turn-based JRPG franchises like Etrian Odyssey ... 

Yeah, I actually think a majority of those games that are associated with the DS line of products will eventually become Smart phone titles predominantly. 

Its good to see that onother 3rd party game is selling great on Switch.

Thats right. Cmon third parties. $$$$ is waiting for you xD

Pocky Lover Boy! 

"They support us in a good way. Compared to that, Sony is not friendly with small publishers like us. They just care about big Japanese companies.""

Very surprising statement. Does this mean Sony in Japan only? I was under the impression that Sony had a very good relationship with smaller publishers. It seems a bit alarming.

Xen said:
"Sony doesn't care about small pubs like us"
...meanwhile most of their games as of the recent 5 years were on Sony platforms.

Yeah, but imagine not releasing on Sony platforms outright. What are the consequences of dissing one of the big companies. Especially considering their long history. However, it could still mean that Sony is treating them like crap in favour of bigger companies.