By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest XI for Switch delay due UE4, game based on PS4 version of game, why was announced for Switch so early

Wyrdness said:
Hynad said:

I understand everything discussed here and that magical 60fps switch you speak of, well, that was gold.

You don't understand FPS doesn't equal more demanding that was clear from your initial response ironically its your own post that was gold in saying DQXI is more demanding because its 30fps.

I already explained where I was leading you with my post regarding 60fps vs 30fps. If you couldn't keep up with any of it isn't on me.

Regardless of how the game looks in the end, if it does reach a mostly stable 60fps running on current consoles, compromises had to be made.

Doom, for example, don't use textures as intricate and hi-res as a game like the upcoming God of War. Sure, if the goal for GoW had been to reach 60fps, it wouldn't look the way it does. Compromises would have been made to, yes, still make it look good, but it wouldn't have been possible to have it look the way it does now. The engine would have been tailored made to satisfy the need of the game. Which in that case would have been performance over pristine fidelity.

Last edited by Hynad - on 15 April 2018

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Wyrdness said:

Where are you getting this flip the switch nonsense from? The part about work proves my point in saving time and money.

You said that no other compromises had to be made, so essentially that is just flipping a switch.

No dude I don't think you understand what is even being said compromise would mean the game is lower res, less assets loaded etc... back in some way to obtain 60fps that's what compromise means, optimisation i.e work required is what you're thinking of that's something different with the latter the game as it is now wouldn't need to be compromised to reach 60fps you're reading between lines.

Wyrdness said:
VGPolyglot said:

You said that no other compromises had to be made, so essentially that is just flipping a switch.

No dude I don't think you understand what is even being said compromise would mean the game is lower res, less assets loaded etc... back in some way to obtain 60fps that's what compromise means, optimisation i.e work required is what you're thinking of that's something different with the latter the game as it is now wouldn't need to be compromised to reach 60fps you're reading between lines.

How do you think optimization is achieved to make something look as good as possible for any performance profile desired?

They cut on fat there, they lower texture res here and there because they're not required to be that high to achieve the desired visual effect, they lower the shadow res to the lowest but good enough point, etc...

That's what we call compromises.

Wyrdness said:
VGPolyglot said:

Optimization requires compromises, in order to get the game to run smoothly they decide what is more important and what can be reduced.

Hynad said:
Wyrdness said:

How do you think optimization is achieved to make something look as good as possible for any performance profile desired?

They cut on fat there, they lower this texture res there because it's not that important to be that hi res, they lower the shadow res to the lowest but good enough point, etc...

No not all cases work that for example the way the engine operates can be changed which case it's a lot of programming and testing, many games are optimised and end up with out compromises.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Wyrdness said:

Optimization requires compromises, in order to get the game to run smoothly they decide what is more important and what can be reduced.

Not all cases like I've mentioned some cases for example the engine has to be reworked while the assets and output are unchanged.

Wyrdness said:
Hynad said:

They cut on fat there, they lower this texture res there because it's not that important to be that hi res, they lower the shadow res to the lowest but good enough point, etc...

No not all cases work that for example the way the engine operates can be changed which case it's a lot of programming and testing, many games are optimised and end up with out compromises.

Seriously, just stop.

Hynad said:
Wyrdness said:

Seriously, just stop.

Who are you exactly to make demands?

Blame Nintendo....their hareware is not suited to the bigger third party games... Stop blaming devs it is silly.

Wyrdness said:
VGPolyglot said:

Not all cases like I've mentioned some cases for example the engine has to be reworked while the assets and output are unchanged.

Well, then that goes against the premise you stated of them not doing it because it's a turn-based game and thus there's no point in doing 30FPS, now your argument is that they would have to re-work the engine (which is what I said in the case of Final Fantasy X, yet you said switching it to 60FPS resulted in no difference which implies that you meant that they could just switch the game to 60FPS just like that).