By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The American family is falling apart

numberwang said:
xenogears1234 said:

Yeah i think the OP is more interested in propagating an agenda than engaging in a meaningful discussion/debate on this complex topic.

What am I supposed to do with a positive anecdote? Good thing it worked out for them in the end but it is not representative.

It isn't an anecdote.  

About 6% of children live with both unmarried parents.  That's not a monstrous percentage, but it's sizeable. 

-Marriage is becoming less important.  Living together unmarried is becoming more normal.  

-Divorce is becoming more common.  This is not the bad thing that a lot of people argue that it is.  Bad marriages are far more damaging to children than a divorce is.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/an-analysis-of-out-of-wedlock-births-in-the-united-states/

"But as David Ellwood and Lawrence Summers have shown, welfare benefits could not have played a major role in the rise of out-of-wedlock births because benefits rose sharply in the 1960s and then fell in the 1970s and 1980s, when out-of-wedlock births rose most. A study by Robert Moffitt in 1992 also found that welfare benefits can account for only a small fraction of the rise in the out-of-wedlock birth ratio.

 

Although many observers expected liberalized abortion and contraception to lead to fewer out-of-wedlock births, in fact the opposite happened because of the erosion in the custom of “shotgun marriages.”

 The fertility rates for married women of both races declined rapidly"



Around the Network

I guess that's better than having childless families.



Nogamez said:
You dont have to be married to be a family you know.

 

Ka-pi96 said:
Good. Marriage is overrated and it's about time it started to die out anyway.

 

SuperNova said:
This might come as a shock to you, but my parents were never married. Yes, I'm one of those 'out of wedlock' children.

Of course, they had been toghether for nine years when they had me and it lasted another four, but no marriage ever happened.

This did not stop me from being a happy, well adjusted child for the most part. Nor did it mean at any point that I didn't have two loving, caring parents, two sets of grandparents and an assortment of aunts, uncles and family friends, that all looked out for me and took care of me growing up.

It is almost as if marriage is a societal contruct, that is loosing importance or something.
Then again I'm not american.

 

Barozi said:
pretty statistic but of no significance.

You don't have to be married to live and raise a child together.
The child's parents could be divorced one year after childbirth, which leads to the child being raised by one parent.

 

smroadkill15 said:
So what? My nephew was born out of out wedlock and my sister and her husband are still together after 15 years.

I'm glad to see that nearly everybody here understands that this is not a problem. Marriage, in and of itself, is of no consequence whatsoever. It is literally just a government license, proving that you paid a fee.  



Umm... this doesn't mean people are being born with only a parent, just that there parents aren't married. My parents never did, and I never personally found that to be a problem. 



Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

VAMatt said:
Nogamez said:
You dont have to be married to be a family you know.

 

Ka-pi96 said:
Good. Marriage is overrated and it's about time it started to die out anyway.

 

SuperNova said:
This might come as a shock to you, but my parents were never married. Yes, I'm one of those 'out of wedlock' children.

Of course, they had been toghether for nine years when they had me and it lasted another four, but no marriage ever happened.

This did not stop me from being a happy, well adjusted child for the most part. Nor did it mean at any point that I didn't have two loving, caring parents, two sets of grandparents and an assortment of aunts, uncles and family friends, that all looked out for me and took care of me growing up.

It is almost as if marriage is a societal contruct, that is loosing importance or something.
Then again I'm not american.

 

Barozi said:
pretty statistic but of no significance.

You don't have to be married to live and raise a child together.
The child's parents could be divorced one year after childbirth, which leads to the child being raised by one parent.

 

smroadkill15 said:
So what? My nephew was born out of out wedlock and my sister and her husband are still together after 15 years.

I'm glad to see that nearly everybody here understands that this is not a problem. Marriage, in and of itself, is of no consequence whatsoever. It is literally just a government license, proving that you paid a fee.  

Common law marriage doesn't require a license or fee. Is that being represented in the data in this thread. Marriage, be it by paper or common law, is a pretty good thing for families.



Around the Network

It is very sad to see how many posters here think is OK, normal, no big deal or worst good that kids are growing up without 2 parents in their home. The statistics are easy to look up, and are given here, that the chances a kid has of being a happy contributor to society are directly related to his upbringing. It began in the mid 60's when women started being less interested in being a 'housewife' and joined the workforce instead. Then they decided they wanted children, and didn't need a husband because they had a career and could provide financially. Not realizing that the husband in a family was way more than just the money needed. At the same time the Gov decided to become provider, which of course led to even more women to go it alone. Now we are seeing the breakdown of society from decades of poorly raised kids themselves having kids. Look at any school today to see the amount of behavior problems that have to be dealt with. Which of course leaves less time for the 'good' kids to be taught. Leaving society with less and less properly educated, raised and adjusted people to contribute to the future. Which is now at the tipping point with really no way to stop or reverse it. The 2030's should be a nightmare.



"+40% of children born out of wedlock"

This is not a problem.



4 ≈ One

what did you think the goal of ideologies like feminism was edit well is not was since the goal of equal rights was commendable?

to empower women/people? lol

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 07 April 2018

o_O.Q said:
what did you think the goal of ideologies like feminism was?

to empower women/people? lol

What do you think the goal of feminism is?

The bold is funny, because it has a long history of doing just that.  



Wiibaron said:
It began in the mid 60's when women started being less interested in being a 'housewife' and joined the workforce instead. Then they decided they wanted children, and didn't need a husband because they had a career and could provide financially. Not realizing that the husband in a family was way more than just the money needed. At the same time the Gov decided to become provider, which of course led to even more women to go it alone. Now we are seeing the breakdown of society from decades of poorly raised kids themselves having kids. Look at any school today to see the amount of behavior problems that have to be dealt with. Which of course leaves less time for the 'good' kids to be taught. Leaving society with less and less properly educated, raised and adjusted people to contribute to the future. Which is now at the tipping point with really no way to stop or reverse it. The 2030's should be a nightmare.

Citation needed.