By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The American family is falling apart

Umm... this doesn't mean people are being born with only a parent, just that there parents aren't married. My parents never did, and I never personally found that to be a problem. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Nogamez said:
You dont have to be married to be a family you know.

Ka-pi96 said:
Good. Marriage is overrated and it's about time it started to die out anyway.

SuperNova said:
This might come as a shock to you, but my parents were never married. Yes, I'm one of those 'out of wedlock' children.

Of course, they had been toghether for nine years when they had me and it lasted another four, but no marriage ever happened.

This did not stop me from being a happy, well adjusted child for the most part. Nor did it mean at any point that I didn't have two loving, caring parents, two sets of grandparents and an assortment of aunts, uncles and family friends, that all looked out for me and took care of me growing up.

It is almost as if marriage is a societal contruct, that is loosing importance or something.
Then again I'm not american.

Barozi said:
pretty statistic but of no significance.

You don't have to be married to live and raise a child together.
The child's parents could be divorced one year after childbirth, which leads to the child being raised by one parent.

smroadkill15 said:
So what? My nephew was born out of out wedlock and my sister and her husband are still together after 15 years.

I'm glad to see that nearly everybody here understands that this is not a problem. Marriage, in and of itself, is of no consequence whatsoever. It is literally just a government license, proving that you paid a fee.  

Common law marriage doesn't require a license or fee. Is that being represented in the data in this thread. Marriage, be it by paper or common law, is a pretty good thing for families.

It is very sad to see how many posters here think is OK, normal, no big deal or worst good that kids are growing up without 2 parents in their home. The statistics are easy to look up, and are given here, that the chances a kid has of being a happy contributor to society are directly related to his upbringing. It began in the mid 60's when women started being less interested in being a 'housewife' and joined the workforce instead. Then they decided they wanted children, and didn't need a husband because they had a career and could provide financially. Not realizing that the husband in a family was way more than just the money needed. At the same time the Gov decided to become provider, which of course led to even more women to go it alone. Now we are seeing the breakdown of society from decades of poorly raised kids themselves having kids. Look at any school today to see the amount of behavior problems that have to be dealt with. Which of course leaves less time for the 'good' kids to be taught. Leaving society with less and less properly educated, raised and adjusted people to contribute to the future. Which is now at the tipping point with really no way to stop or reverse it. The 2030's should be a nightmare.

"+40% of children born out of wedlock"

This is not a problem.

4 ≈ One

what did you think the goal of ideologies like feminism was edit well is not was since the goal of equal rights was commendable?

to empower women/people? lol

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 07 April 2018

Around the Network
Wiibaron said:
It began in the mid 60's when women started being less interested in being a 'housewife' and joined the workforce instead. Then they decided they wanted children, and didn't need a husband because they had a career and could provide financially. Not realizing that the husband in a family was way more than just the money needed. At the same time the Gov decided to become provider, which of course led to even more women to go it alone. Now we are seeing the breakdown of society from decades of poorly raised kids themselves having kids. Look at any school today to see the amount of behavior problems that have to be dealt with. Which of course leaves less time for the 'good' kids to be taught. Leaving society with less and less properly educated, raised and adjusted people to contribute to the future. Which is now at the tipping point with really no way to stop or reverse it. The 2030's should be a nightmare.

Citation needed.

the-pi-guy said:
o_O.Q said:
what did you think the goal of ideologies like feminism was?

to empower women/people? lol

What do you think the goal of feminism is?

The bold is funny, because it has a long history of doing just that.  

to clarify i should have put "is" because i think the goal of bringing about equal rights for women initially was commendable

but now that the main agenda is to take responsibility away from women

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/feb/19/blame-the-rapist

i know this is going to be misinterpreted so let me clarify, my issue with the concept of victim blaming is that it removes the woman's agency in that she is told that her choices have no impact on whether she is victimised or not... this is not only dis-empowering but its also a lie as the women of india have realised

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25727080 

to take away choices from women

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/01/pc-gone-mad-formula-1-bans-grid-girls-but-some-of-them-arent-happy-about-it/?utm_term=.868925e5bbd4

to actually go as far as to destroy the identity associated with women

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4167632/Don-t-call-pregnant-patients-mothers.html

and pretty much to do the opposite of empowering women for the most part from what i am observing then one has to wonder what is the true aim?

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 07 April 2018

I am going to say this, not having a father in my life has lead to emotional issues that has had dire consequences well into adulthood, issues that i've had huge problems dealing with. Maybe marriage isn't important, but having two parents present is

I think it's the conservatives' choices that are falling apart and that's rather a good thing. Why would you need to be married? Who cares if a child is born out of wedlock? Marriage is a religious thing and like all religious things it's the remaining habit of ignorance past, the idea at first was that sex is evil and sinful and that marriage is God's permission to indulge in this shameful and evil practice.

I hope one day 100% of children will be born out of wedlock cause that's when we are truly rid of that religious nonsense.

A lot of people are saying that marriage doesn't matter for children of general family live. Wel if that's the case, why is fertility way down for most (if not all) countries where the marriage rate tanked...?

The answer is simple:
When the chief pair bonding mechanism fails, the bonding fails also. There was a reason why marriage was pushed in the past. They broke the social/religious contract and with it the core of society.

Last edited by Stefan.De.Machtige - on 07 April 2018

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.